mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Smile Seward Trails List - Please comment or add

Hi All,
    I will be riding in Seward this summer and don't want to miss any ride possibilities. Please suggest any that I have left out or comment on these entries:

Exit Glacier Trail: Ride to the face of the glacier or up to an overview of the glacier, a 2 to 4 mile round trip. The trails meander by the glacier run-off streams and are still a work in progress in places. Seward Hiway Mile 3, then 8 miles up the road to the parking lot.
    First Lake/Two Lakes Trail First Lake is located behind AVTEC on 2nd Ave, access is thru the school parking lot. There is a trail around the lake that meanders to another Lake up higher then down the other side of First Lake, a fun hike. This is a salmon spawning lake, during the runs you can watch the salmon fighting up the creek to the lake. There's a picnic area with tables (bring lunch) and a creek that feeds the lake.
    Iditarod Memorial & Waterfront Trail Founder's Park - on east end of Railroad - is the start of this waterfront trail. The trail meanders from downtown thru the harbor area, around the Lagoon. This part of the trail is paved. You can continue (not well marked) north 1 miles on Seward Hiway to Nash Road & the original Iditarod Trail.
    The Iditarod Trail (original serum run) starts on north side of mile 2 Nash Road (look to the north of the road: there's a monument at the trailhead). This goes 4 miles to Bear Lake, from there it's being re-established - will eventually go to Girdwood!
    Lost Lake Trail The Lost Lake Trail: Seward Hiway Mile 5 at Lost Lake subdivision - up gravel road follow signs to parking. There is no trailhead yet. Other end of this trail is the Primrose Trail, access at Seward Hiway Mile 17 - campground is 1.5 miles in.
    Mount Marathon Jeep Trail: The Jeep trail is an easier route with access to alpine meadows & waterfalls up the northwest flank of Mount Marathon. The trail starts from 2nd Ave at Monroe and climbs up and around the mountain through some thick vegetation, then above tree-line & fantastic vistas. Further north are many short and long trails.

Thanks for the comments!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Lowell Point to Fort McGilvray:
    I have not been out on that trail in years so I don't know if State Parks has fixed it since the flooding that nocked out bridges years ago or if it is passible on a bike.

The 4.5 mile coastal trail leads from Lowell Point to the recreation area, ending at North Beach. A portion of this trail can be hiked only at low tide. Historic trails following old army roads take hikers to Fort McGilvray and on to South Beach.

The three mile stretch of beach between Tonsina Point and North Beach can be hiked only during very low tide.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the addition. I also thought of the Resurrection River trail last night so that is 2 more trails now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just a few things to add:
    -"There is no trailhead yet." Lost Lake trail has your standard Forest Service trailhead with sign-in sheet.
    -I haven't ridden the Resurrection River trail but my (limited) understanding of it is that it is not maintained, involves fording rivers... I am under the impression it isn't very bike-friendly but it'd be nice to hear that it is!
    -If you have a vehicle and don't mind driving a little further than the Primrose trailhead, check out Resurrection Pass, Crescent Lake trail, Johnson Pass, and Devil's Creek trail. Fun rides of varying lengths!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to hit most or all of them this summer. I included Resurrection River trail when I saw that a bike tour company runs people up there. Maybe they go a few miles in to the first crossing and then back out? Sure there is lots of alder etc in there. Be a good place to run into a large animal.