Alaska Turner Mafia

Russian River and Res

Spent a couple of days riding on peninsula trials and thought I'd give a trail update. The Russian River Trail is really good to within about a mile of the Upper Russian cabin. That section is dry, buff, and no cow parsnip to deal with. One tiny snowslide to walk over in the usual spot, three blowdowns beyond the Aspen Flats cabin, and then you'll hit mud. There's still feet of snow on the Snug Harbor Rd end.

Also rode Resurrection from the Cooper Landing end. It's also in fantastic shape to just beyond the Bean Creek intersection, then muddy also. It may easily be a couple of weeks before it dries up. The climb to there though is well worth it for the the descent you just earned.

Fun times. Camping and riding, gotta luv it! SuperBlinky and AKTay on the Russian.

Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sweet! Thanks for the update. Picture stoke is always good too!

Alaskan dirt junkie
    Thx. Heading out there on Sunday.

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Cool.. ABC Rec Div will be clearing upper Russian lakes straight through 6/16

Cool, thanks for the update. ABC Rec Div will be going from the upper snug harbor road trailhead with the forest service and clearing the entire trail 6/16.

Would love to have some more join us..

Christopher

Alaskan dirt junkie
    Too bad it rained like hell out there all weekend.

Alaskan dirt junkie
    Will likely try again this Saturday.

mtbr member
    Hey, new to the forum, just wanted to add my two cents. Did a quick loop up Rez and down Bean Creek and back along the highway yesterday afternoon. No rain but Bean Creek trail was in pretty rough shape...Anybody know if Devil's Pass is rideable yet or is it still buried?

Bikes are good

Avalanche Paths

Devil's trail might be okay, except for the avalanche runouts, of which there are several. I think it would be a long shot at this time.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

ChuckyMTBR
    Jan 2012

First Hand Knowledge

Sunday rode in Ress Pass for Cooper Landing to Swan Lake. Zero Snow, 90% dry bumpy ride with 6 or so trees down between Juneau lake and Swan Lake. Worth doing for sure.

Monday rode Crescent Creek from Tern Lake via Old Sterling Highway road bed. Perfect, dry and 70 Deg. Large slide right before bridge and several very small snow patches on the way to the cabin that should be gone in a day or two.

Monday also rode Johnson Pass south. Trees down everywhere starting at about mile 5. Not worth doing on a bike until they get those things out of there. Would make a nice run as the trail is very dry.

Lost lake weeks out at best more like likely a month or so.

Iditarod Trail in Seward: A week or two away at least and do not know if it has been cleared of trees

Hope this helps. By far the best ride down here right now would be Crescent Creek.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Say a prayer for me...

Lookin good Rando!!!

Saw the pictures of the "special" margs from an undisclosed source. I miss it more than you can imagine.

1-year down and I'll get parol in 3. The brothas are giving me grief.... they think I'm pretty. Prison is no place for sissies.

Keep the rubber side down...

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich.

Alaskan dirt junkie
    Crescent Lake was perfect yesterday, with only one short snow section from an avalanche.

Also rode a little of the Russian Lake trail from the eastern trail-head towards Upper Russian lake. Still very wet, over a dozen thick patches of snow, lots of mud - may be best to stay off this one for another week or two (despite the 82 degree weather out there yesterday!).

Can't wait for resurrection pass to clear.

mtbr member

Devil's Pass Trail perfect, too!

Not too far away, Devil's Pass (from Seward Highway) was also unbelievably excellent! Dry and smooth down below, a couple of avoidable wet spots and manageable snow patches higher up (Henry Creek pic 4 below), one semi-sketchy chute crossing (pic 2) with quite the runout should you slip (pic 3). No traffic or even bugs on a sunny Sunday. If you like fast alpine single track through wildflowers backgrounded by snowy peaks, this is the ride for you. Have fun out there!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Russian River and Res-img_1392.jpg  

Russian River and Res-img_1413.jpg  

Russian River and Res-img_1410.jpg  

Russian River and Res-img_1442.jpg  

Russian River and Res-img_1419.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Kenai Rider, how far up did you get on Devils Pass, did you get to the top? If so was there still snow on top by the Devils Pass cabin? Thanks and great pics.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Megas View Post
    Kenai Rider, how far up did you get on Devils Pass, did you get to the top? If so was there still snow on top by the Devils Pass cabin? Thanks and great pics.
    I only went just past Henry Creek since I had father's day stuff going on in the afternoon but it looked like pic below. I'm thinking it's clear and plan to do a devil's pass trail/rez pass trail/bean creek/highway loop very soon so I'll let you know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Russian River and Res-img_1428.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Anyone ride the russian lakes trail recently and can comment on the condition? Thanks.