Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

River rampage conditions???

Wondering if anyone knows of the Eagle River race trail conditions?
    Last edited by FarNRTHFatty; 02-22-2012 at 08:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    This trail is groomed all winter long so I'm pretty sure it's gonna be hard packed and fast.

mtbr member
    So skinny bike friendly...as in ice spiker pros should work...(no fatbike yet)

We want... a shrubbery!
    Hmm, interesting looking race. Will likely make the drive down, I'm assuming the river conditions are good? I'll wear a pair of floaties just in case.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Race info is here if anyone has not seen it;
    Eagle River Nature Center | Eagle River, Alaska

Eagle river gets a fair amount of snowmachine traffic so the underlying base to the trail should be good and hard. I was down on the lower portion of the river this past weekend and it was in good condition for biking. However, I live just a few miles away (on Hiland) and we got hammered with some really heavy snow yesterday afternoon, close to 6" of fresh powder accumulation in just a few hours time and a bit more lastnight. I would suspect that the accumulation would be similar around ERNC. Unless some intensive trail grooming occurrs, I would be suprized it the race conditions are conducive to skinny MTB tires, definitly no need for studs on the +3' base of snowpack that is there now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Too bad this is the same weekend as the Homer festival. It looks like fun. It is hard to live where there are multiple fat bike events on the same weekend.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Too bad this is the same weekend as the Homer festival. It looks like fun. It is hard to live where there are multiple fat bike events on the same weekend.
    And dont forget;
    Iditarod Trail Invitational-home page

Between Susitna100 last weekend, Abominable Snowman Series lastnight, and upcomming ERNC, Homer and the Iditarod invitational, this is the holy week for AK fatbiking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    And dont forget;

Between Susitna100 last weekend, Abominable Snowman Series lastnight, and upcomming ERNC, Homer and the Iditarod invitational, this is the holy week for AK fatbiking.
    There has to be some tired legs by next week!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    And dont forget;

I didn't forget it I just figured it wasn't for mortal men (or women) but I have to agree this is a great place to fatbike.
    Latitude 61

We want... a shrubbery!
    Well since I can't make the drive to Homer this weekend, I signed up for this race. They haven't been able to groom the trail but the race should definitely go on this weekend.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.

mtbr member
    Me too...hope my 'skinny' bike doesn't sink!
    Last edited by FarNRTHFatty; 02-24-2012 at 03:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am bummed this seems like a really cool race and course. I signed up but after a couple test rides I canít sit on a bike seat that long yet after last weekend. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kincaider View Post
    I am bummed this seems like a really cool race and course. I signed up but after a couple test rides I canít sit on a bike seat that long yet after last weekend. Have fun.
    Jail sucks!
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Skinny bike+ soft snow+ being hard headed= a shitty great time!

Lesson learned...saving for a fatbike NOW!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AKxc View Post
    Skinny bike+ soft snow+ being hard headed= a shitty great time!

Lesson learned...saving for a fatbike NOW!
    You sir are a trooper. That was some soft snow near the end.

mtbr member
    Thanks!

And I thought my singlespeed gearing would be the issue(32x18)...I'll be ready next year.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Great turnout for the river race today. Nice clear sunny day and temperature got up to around 10įf. Trail grooming was fast in many sections, with just enough loose snow left on other sections to still make it a challenge to stay upright. Bratwursts at the finish were great. Hope it continues as a race venue next year.

If you have not spent time on it previously, Eagle River (the river, not the town) really is a nice snowbike trail option. It gets enough snowmachine traffic to normally keep a good trail for biking but it is seldom overrun with snowmachines. Access from the ASP bogs bridge parking lot (below Wal-Mart) is also good access to the river without driving all the way out to ERNC.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Are results posted anywhere online?

We want... a shrubbery!
    That was a great race! Kudos to the two skinny (normal) tired guys, there should be handicap applied for them!

Is the river trail open to fat bikes throughout the winter? I was telling some people at work about it and they were under the impression that fat bikes weren't allowed on the river typically?
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyickyptngzutboing View Post
    That was a great race! Kudos to the two skinny (normal) tired guys, there should be handicap applied for them!

Is the river trail open to fat bikes throughout the winter? I was telling some people at work about it and they were under the impression that fat bikes weren't allowed on the river typically?
    The nature center bans bikes on its trails but they dont own/control the river. Lots more snowmachine traffic further down the river so the river trail stays pretty good. Just start your fatbike riding at the Alaska state park picknic area below the bridge that goes over eagle river loop rd (near wal-mart), there is also decent amount of MTB riding terrain to explore in the summer from here. Alternately, go up to the mile 7.2 parking area where the race turnaround checkpoint was located. (Anyone else eat a bunch of tinfoil trying to scarf down the peanut butter cup candy at the turnaround?)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The nature center bans bikes on its trails but they dont own/control the river. Lots more snowmachine traffic further down the river so the river trail stays pretty good. Just start your fatbike riding at the Alaska state park picknic area below the bridge that goes over eagle river loop rd (near wal-mart), there is also decent amount of MTB riding terrain to explore in the summer from here. Alternately, go up to the mile 7.2 parking area where the race turnaround checkpoint was located. (Anyone else eat a bunch of tinfoil trying to scarf down the peanut butter cup candy at the turnaround?)
    The ERNC bans nothing, it is the park who writes and enforces the rules. The park was reluctant to allow the use of the albert loop in order to access the river. Truth told, the park super wanted to see photos of the damage caused to the trails as a result of the race.

The original idea for back up in the event of poor river conditions was a Dew Mound loop, but the park shut that down since it was viewed as "too dangerous".

We want... a shrubbery!
    I guess I should have dusted over my bike angel if I had known the damage was going to be assessed!
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

mtbr member
    Damage assement...ZERO! Unless they look at snow crystal damage. Snowbikes have about as much (winter) environmental impact as cross country skiers do...

I'm glad the ERNC and park service allowed this race, and 1300+ dollars were raised, but seems kinda pointless to try and assess something that is not there. I rode/ran almost 7miles of the course(before DNF'n) and all I saw was a reflector and a water bottle...anyways, hope all will be well and NPS will green light next years event!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    https://m.facebook.com/pages/Friends...user=582629700

Results. May not work, mobile link to their Facebook page.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AKxc View Post
    Damage assement...ZERO! Unless they look at snow crystal damage. Snowbikes have about as much (winter) environmental impact as cross country skiers do...

I'm glad the ERNC and park service allowed this race, and 1300+ dollars were raised, but seems kinda pointless to try and assess something that is not there. I rode/ran almost 7miles of the course(before DNF'n) and all I saw was a reflector and a water bottle...anyways, hope all will be well and NPS will green light next years event!
    Although I see what you are talking about, I think what they are referring to as "damage" would be ruts in the snow that might make it harder for the other users that are normally allowed on the trails, not necessarily long term environmental damage (just my guess though). If the bikes (normally not allowed) were augering out a rut down the middle of the trail, it would make it potentially dangerous or problematic for skiers (normally allowed) and walkers (normally allowed).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast