Thread: River Dance

Wood chips are stupid

River Dance

Has anybody hurd how the rivers along the Susitna 100 trail are? Bill M, Ak29, Pete B, Queen Bee... etc. Please inform.
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member
    Id like to second this query. Anyone been out there?

FatBike Fiend

What I've heard.

I havn't ridden out there yet but I talked to a friend who lives at Mile 18 on the Yentna and he said the ice was safe but had frozen in a jumpled/pan ice form and was rough. There was snowmachine and tracked vehicle traffic up and down the river. He said there wasn't much snow, only 6 or 7 inches and I heard Skwentna was about the same. Willow got 14 inches of snow last week but the storm didn't extend very far up the river. Also he said a snowmachine and two track vehicles went through the ice where Kroto Slough joins with the Yentna so caution is still advised. As I write this it is snowing out so hope that will smooth things out.
    Wildfire
    FatBikes since 1999.

FatBike Fiend

Update 12/20/06

Only 3" of new snow at Yentna Station area out of this last storm with about 9" total on the ground. They probably got quite a bit more then that at Knik Lake, we got about 6 1/2" of new snow here near Palmer followed by the customary wind storm. Looks like more snow is on the way. I am planning to ride out from Knik Lake on Saturday.
    Wildfire
    FatBikes since 1999.

Beware of Doggerel

What time

What time Saturday? Are you looking for company? Jo-Ann should have a teensy tiny DeSalvo, arriving today so it would be great to take it out for it's maiden voyage from knik. I'd probably come too.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire
    Only 3" of new snow at Yentna Station area out of this last storm with about 9" total on the ground. They probably got quite a bit more then that at Knik Lake, we got about 6 1/2" of new snow here near Palmer followed by the customary wind storm. Looks like more snow is on the way. I am planning to ride out from Knik Lake on Saturday.
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

mtbr member

New Desalvo?

please post photos of that DeSalvo asap!
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

Beware of Doggerel
    I'll post as soon as its built, or unwrapped. Its not a wildfire/desalvo, just a regular hardtail with some extra room out back. It will be her snow bike in winter and hardtail/travel bike in summer, but since she is barely heavier than a snowflake we went with a regular style frame.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

FatBike Fiend

10 AM good for you?

I'm willing to give it a shot, we've got a bunch of new snow today but I can see stars out now and I hear those snowmachines everywhere so it should be somewhat packed down by Saturday. We're going to ride from Knik Lake.
    Wildfire
    FatBikes since 1999.

FatBike Fiend

Uh, Adam

I don't think I'll be riding Saturday, I think it's a push fest (unless you like that sort of thing) as it is plus I just heard the forecast for 6 to 12" of new snow tomorrow. Better let some air out of those tires. I discovered that if you take the wheels off and strap one to each foot, you get really good flotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    What time Saturday? Are you looking for company? Jo-Ann should have a teensy tiny DeSalvo, arriving today so it would be great to take it out for it's maiden voyage from knik. I'd probably come too.

Adam
    Wildfire
    FatBikes since 1999.

Beware of Doggerel

Yep

As much as I like pushing, I'll pass. Jo-Ann's bike just came today so I'll put it together tomorrow.

Adam

Wood chips are stupid

lube dude

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    As much as I like pushing, I'll pass. Jo-Ann's bike just came today so I'll put it together tomorrow.

Adam

don't forget to use grease.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

FatBike Fiend

Knik 200

I think the Iditarod Trail should be pretty good again, they just had the Knik 200 dog race out to Skwentna and back with 36 dog teams tromping down the trail. 'Course it was -30 in Big Lake this morning but the rivers should be well frozen along with any dangly bits. Also I heard that there will be professional trail grooming this year courtesy of a SnoTrac grant with a track rig and groomer from Big Lake all the way from Big Lake to Skwentna. The local trails here around Palmer are setting up great and it is forecasted to warm up again by the weekend.
    Wildfire
    FatBikes since 1999.