go big or go home

Riding from Colorado to Alaska, advice

Hey I'm starting to plan my trip to ride to Alaska, and was looking for some advice on routes, as far as their bike friendliness/scenery/etc, I planned on leaving somewhere around late May or early June, and will be riding from Fort Collins, CO to Seattle with some friends, then splitting off on my own north to Anchorage. Any advice on good routes/stops/etc? Thanks!
    [SIZE=1]
    Get off yer arse and on yere bike!
    [/SIZE]

GIT-R-DONE!
    Quote Originally Posted by bentimby
    Any advice on good routes/stops/etc? Thanks!
    This is a good place to start The Milepost Great publication and very well worth picking up a copy. Don't even think of leaving home without it.

If you are interested. I can email you a journal that covers the trip from Spokane Washington to Fairbanks.
    Last edited by aka bubba; 10-26-2006 at 08:17 AM.
    Checking Out The Big Phenomenon

Caveman
    Take the cassiar Highway north through BC, great scenery.
    Also consider taking the marine highway for part of the trip, you could spend more time doing rides in cool parts of the state rather than slogging away on the Alcan, but thats not the purest way

I used to live in ft fun too...

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

I agree with Bearbait.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    Take the cassiar Highway north through BC, great scenery.
    Also consider taking the marine highway for part of the trip, you could spend more time doing rides in cool parts of the state rather than slogging away on the Alcan, but thats not the purest way

I used to live in ft fun too...
    I've never done this, but I would jump on a boat at Prince Rupert (??). I don't have my map in front of me. I believe you get there via the Cassiar. And then get off in either Haines or Skagway. I've driven this section several times from Anchrage to Skagway and it just unbelievable. It's still about 900 miles from Skagway to Anchorage, but you could make that longer if you choose to go thru Fairbanks then south to Anchorage. Also, a ride in the Kenai is a must to Homer. From there you can again jump on a boat back to where it is your going back to.

Cool stuff.

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Have Fun on Your Trip

I have never gone on a ride that long before but I have driven down the Alcan a few times. I can tell you there are quite a few long streches with no service stations, stores or people. Also, there was a lot of bugs so just be prepared for both of those and you should have a great time.

Have Fun!
    [SIZE="4"]~ Ryocheck[/SIZE]
    OnlyAlaska.com

go big or go home
    thanks for the advice, yeah i think i'll be sticking with the alcan highway, and ill definitly pick up the milepost.
    [SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

go big or go home

Map...

Hey I'd appreciate any input on my route here:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=675659

What do you all think?
    [SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

i drink shower water
    i posted already in your thread in the West Canada forum.. But i agree take the ferry. some of those stretches from in the Yukon are gnarly and far from town to town.. just my advice.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

@adelorenzo

What do you all think?
    Yukon stretches aren't that bad. There are well-maintained government campgrounds at regular intervals along the route, as well as some decent lodges or motels from time to time. You can, of course, camp most anywhere as long as you're not afraid of critters.

You will hit sections of highway under construction that can be 10 km or more in length, so be ready for loose gravel, equipment, flying rocks, flat tires... Also, you will be passed by about 10,000 RVs, so get used to that.

Whitehorse has two excellent bike shops, as well as my garage which is pretty well-stocked with tools if you need to work on your bike. Otherwise, you'll need to be basically mechanically self-sufficient between Dawson Creek, BC and the Yukon-Alaska border.

If you want to stay at my place in Whitehorse for a couple of days, or ride some local trails, throw me an e-mail. Feel free to ask me any other questions, I'm happy to help out.

Edited to add: That being said, taking the Alaska Marine Ferry to Skagway (start of the Trail of '98) and then riding through the White Pass to Whitehorse is a fabulous idea. You could also ride up from Haines. Either way you get an amazing ride through the coast mountains, and it would get you up here quicker to spend more time in Alaska and Yukon.

Regards,
    Anthony
    Last edited by anthony.delorenzo; 01-29-2007 at 07:37 PM.

Wood chips are stupid

The Bobski

Bob Voris would know a thing or two about the route. His site might still be up.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

@adelorenzo

What do you all think?
    Oops, I just noticed you are riding up the Cassiar, not the Alaska highway.

Think of the Cassiar as a 1200 km backroad where you're likely to see as many moose as people. Other than basic services like gas stations, there isn't a heck of a lot out there, especially in the northern sections. A lot of it is narrow secondary road or unpaved.

Lots of upside too though. Less traffic, especially when it comes to RVs and big trucks. Just lots of miles with you, the bike, and the wilderness.

Regards,
    Anthony

go big or go home
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo
    Oops, I just noticed you are riding up the Cassiar, not the Alaska highway.

Think of the Cassiar as a 1200 km backroad where you're likely to see as many moose as people. Other than basic services like gas stations, there isn't a heck of a lot out there, especially in the northern sections. A lot of it is narrow secondary road or unpaved.

Lots of upside too though. Less traffic, especially when it comes to RVs and big trucks. Just lots of miles with you, the bike, and the wilderness.

Regards,
    Anthony
    Yeah I don't understand why the Cassiar highway is so desolate (don't think I'm complaining by any means), but looking at the map it seems it's the same distance as the Alcan (unless you're coming from eastern canada)
    [SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?
    Good Luck!!!
    aka: akfreeridemtber; brian_404
    Just get out and, RIDE!!!
    www.facebook.com/shagwn007

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I just drove the Alcan in both directions this past Sept. and only encountered one long section of construction at the south end of Kluane Lake. Overall, the road is in good shape. I van camped along the way and found the rest and camping in the Yukon good.

You might find this journal helpful: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/p..._id=12690&v=mp

This lady just completed a solo ride up and back from the east coast this past summer. She has excellent comments and pictures.

You should also do a search of the journals over at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/?o=lt for folks that have done this ride. I can not find it again, but there was one rider that did the Cassiar Highway recently too.

As others have indicated, be prepared for LONG stretches between towns.

I'm planning on doing this same ride next year, so I look forward to your journal.

Good luck.

i drink shower water
    wow Kluane lake is still under construction? are they ever going to finish?
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy