Diaskeuast

Good job! Ride the refuge now!

The coastal refuge in South Anchorage has been blown free of snow, leaving miles of hard ice that's perfect for riding on studs.

The conditions are awesome. It's like having slickrock that's actually, well, slick. I'm heading out again tomorrow morning while the forecast is still good. Anyone who's interested in a ride is welcome to join in. Otherwise, get out there soon anyway.

You won't even have to worry about encountering skiers.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    When are you heading out ? I have always wanted to do that but not solo.

Diaskeuast

11?

I was thinking of starting about 11 a.m.

I'm still waiting to hear from a couple of friends to know if that time works for them so, basically, we're still somewhat flexible. We'll probably be working out the final details via e-mail, so drop me a note at icybikes@gmail.com and let me know what time works for ya.

ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?
    sounds like a great ride. i have to work
    aka: akfreeridemtber; brian_404
    Just get out and, RIDE!!!
    www.facebook.com/shagwn007

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Stupid Question

Umm....where's the coastal refuge? Is that Potter's Marsh? Sounds like pretty sweet conditions, I may try to check it out tomorrow or after work one night.

Diaskeuast

Close ...

Quote Originally Posted by SkiMonkee
    Umm....where's the coastal refuge? Is that Potter's Marsh? Sounds like pretty sweet conditions, I may try to check it out tomorrow or after work one night.
    The coastal refuge is across the highway and railroad tracks from Potter Marsh. It's the flat coastal plain beneath the bluffs that run from Oceanview out toward Kincaid Park, and you can access it from a number of places along the bluff. I always get down there via the sledding hill at Oceanview Bluff Park, which is on the west side of the railroad tracks where they run by Oceanview Park (which is on the east side of the tracks).

I went back with a friend today and we rode until we were out of time and energy. You can go for miles. Here are some pics to give you a sense of how great the ice is right now. (Note, there are soft spots, so watch for the much whiter, newer ice. It got crunch often, but we never had a problem and the ice is shallow in most areas other than a couple of the tidal guts.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?
    looks like the riding was great...
    aka: akfreeridemtber; brian_404
    Just get out and, RIDE!!!
    www.facebook.com/shagwn007