Thread: Rainbow trail

Bikes are good

Rainbow trail

I know, it isn't open to biking. I was hiking there late last night and planned on hiking/running from the potter end to Rainbow and back. There were two brown bears in the Mchugh area which was cool. Took a left on accident because I'm miserable when I run and couldn't read the sign. The trail was so cool though, I kept going. To Mchugh lake maybe? Switchbacked up a bit, then traversed into the valley just north of Mchugh creek (probably was Mchugh creek come to think of it.) The trail winded its way down, there was a trail equipment box, and the trail abruptly ended after descending a bit more. Anybody know what that is, or the plan is there? There was a makeshift campsite set up, and clearly a heck of a lot of manual labor making this trail. That whole system would be an awesome bike ride. Over to Rainbow if you took the right turn too.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Did you end up on the Rabbit lakes trail? That would be turning left just before you get to Mchugh- Its been ridden down from rabbit lakes, but I heard it involved some bush-whacking.

Bikes are good

I'm not sure

It was cut neatly into the side of the mountain, about 3 feet wide, and after it switchbacked up from Mchugh, went down and then was barely a trail. I think they are building it from the top down, or Mchugh over. It too will probably be closed to mountain biking which is too bad. It would be great riding.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."