mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Racing in Alaska

Can someone please point me in the right direction regarding holding a mountain bike race in Alaska. I am wondering if you need to have a governing body, like Cycling USA, sanction the event or just your local club? How do you deal with the liability issues?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I know nothing but you might try contacting the bike shops. Speedway, Chain Reaction and Paramount all have done fun rides and at least sponsored some races so they could point you in the right direction. Some of the shop folk are members so you may get a reply soon from one of them

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Here is a link to the arctic bicycle club road racing division. There is an e-mail address on their to contact them about it. Arctic Bicycle Club - Road Racing Division Anchorage, Alaska Hosted by Chain Reaction Cycles

Here is a link to the mountain bike page with contact information:

Arctic Bicycle Club Mountain Racing Division: The Crew & FAQs

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If you don't mind me asking, what were you thinking about regarding a new race? The big thing to consider is that there are a TON of races up here during the summer, so it is always a challenge to schedule a race to not be on top of another race where the two events are taking competitors away from each other. We have lots of races, but a limited number of racers. When two events that pull from the limited number of available racers, it usually means both events suffer. If you let us know what type of event you are planning, we might be able to point out the big events that you might want to try to work around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what were you thinking about regarding a new race? The big thing to consider is that there are a TON of races up here during the summer, so it is always a challenge to schedule a race to not be on top of another race where the two events are taking competitors away from each other. We have lots of races, but a limited number of racers. When two events that pull from the limited number of available racers, it usually means both events suffer. If you let us know what type of event you are planning, we might be able to point out the big events that you might want to try to work around.
    The races would be held in Fairbanks, potentially four enduro style events. I would be looking to hold the events after all the road races in the area (July through September), hoping some of the roadies might attend. There is only one mountain bike race in Fairbanks and IMHO more is needed. I am hoping that with an enduro style event with an emphasis on fun, people may come out of the wood work to attend. I contacted the local club and they are willing to help out, so I have that part covered. Hopefully some of you southern Alaskans would make the journey.

Thanks for all the replies.