mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Race or Ride Suugestions in June

I am tentatively going to be in Alaska near Anchorage end of June / Early July, likely gone by July 4th.

While I was there I wanted to make some sort of big riding experience part of my trip, so was hoping for suggestions of races, organized ride. Something where I will be on the bike for a long period of time 7+ hours would be ideal, or even an overnighter, I do have some experience bike packing but bringing my equipment for that would be costly. Any suggestion on races, big recreational rides, group rides, training routes?

I can bring almost any type of bike with or look into renting I have multiple mountain bikes (FS, HT, Plus size), road bike and CX bike.

Any Suggestions? Thanks for the input.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    I'd suggest you check out the Kenai 250. Sounds like it meets all the criteria you are looking for! The last I heard, the 2016 event will "probably be the weekend after solstice again".

https://kenai250.wordpress.com/

If undertaking the whole event sounds too daunting, at least consider one of the stages as outlined on the site, as each are a great day of riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I believe that on the weekend of the 25th of June there might be a 24 hour Mountain Bike race.

Arctic MTB Mountain Bike Racing
    https://www.facebook.com/ArcticMTB/

Keep an eye on those sites.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Wow Kenai looks incredible. I don't see the stage info...

Primary focus of my visit has to be to spend time with Family so maybe a stage or overnighter would be In the works but this sounds amazing and manageable.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Based on last years course, these were the stages.

STAGE 1

Hope to the Resurrection Trail. Climb the trail to the Devils Pass cabins (Y-intersection) and go left towards the Devils Creek Trailhead.Go right on the Seward Highway from the Devils Creek Trailhead. In approximately three miles, you will come to the intersection with the Sterling Highway. Your destination is the Tern Lake campground/recreation area. (If you follow the sign for southbound traffic to the Sterling Highway, you will need to make a u-turn and backtrack about 100 yards to the Tern Lake entrance once you merge with the Sterling Highway at the bottom of the hill.) Travel through Tern Lake and take the ATV trail/Old Sterling Highway. You will stay right after about ten miles to remain on Quartz Creek Road, and then it’s a short jaunt to the Sterling Highway. Go left on the Sterling Highway and follow until you reach the Russian Campground. You’ll now pick up the course as previously planned and take the Russian Lakes Trail to Snug Harbor Road. From Snug Harbor Road, go about ten miles until you reach the Sterling Highway and go right. Stop at Wildmans and buy some beer to go. Continue on the Sterling Highway back to Quartz Creek Road. END OF STAGE 1

Record the time once you arrive at the Sunrise Inn which is right at the intersection of the Quartz Creek Road and Sterling Hwy. This is where the clock stops for everybody in the stage race. Please stop, eat some food, drink a beer, and chat it up with the tourist.

Camping:
    There are a myriad of camping options between the Sunrise Inn and Tern Lake—it’s up to you to find a place that appeals to you—so pay attention the first time you ride this segment on the way to Russian Lakes. (Options include several campgrounds and multiple pullouts along the Old Sterling Highway.) The clock will start for you on Saturday as you exit the Tern Lake camp area.

STAGE 2
    Record the time as you exit the Tern Lake camping area, as this is the START of STAGE 2.

From Tern Lake
    South on the Seward Highway
    Through Moose Pass
    Ride up Crown Point Mine Rd and ride the Crown Point/Vagt Lake loop. It is important that you ride this little loop before Lost Lake trail, so that the stopping and re-start of the clock works for the transition between STAGE 2 and STAGE 3.
    Ride into Primrose Campground
    Take trail and ride up and over Lost Lake
    Ride into Seward, have a beer at the Pit Bar (you’ve earned it), go to the Sea Life Center for the turnaround, and then get a burrito at the Railway Cantina.
    As you exit Seward, take a right on Bear Lake Rd.
    Ride the Iditarod Trail system: Bear Lake (east) side and Meridian/Long Lake (west) side.
    Arrive at Primrose Campground. END OF STAGE 2
    Record the time as you arrive at Primrose CG
    An attempt will be made tomorrow to reserve/claim one spot of the Primrose Campground for Saturday night. Someone will go out there, pay the fee and pitch a tent. The tent spot number will be communicated on Friday morning.
    At Primrose CG another neutral zone begins, as you won't start the clock on Sunday until you leave Moose Pass at milepost 29. This allows you to have breakfast and lunch to-go at the Trail Lake Lodge.

Camping:
    You can stay at Primrose CG in the designated spot we'll try to reserve tomorrow for Saturday night, or you can ride into Moose Pass to find camping/accommodations there. The Trail Lake lodge closes at 10:00 PM, so keep that in mind.
    You are welcome to camp anywhere between Primrose and a designated site, which is located at the north end of the bike path in Moose Pass, just north of milepost 29. The area consists of a large gravel pad bordering on Kenai Lake and surrounded by treeline. There will likely be several RVs and other campers there, so please find a space along the treeline and expect company from other racers arriving later. This is an unofficial camp area and has no services. When you depart the site you will need to record your start time again.

STAGE 3

Record the time as you leave Moose Pass at MP29, as this is the START of STAGE 3.
    Ride Johnson Pass
    Ride Seward Hwy south to the Devil's Creek TH
    Up Devil's
    Resurrection Pass down NORTH towards HOPE.
    The Seaview Café/Bar in Hope is the END OF STAGE 3 and FINISH!
    Drink some celebratory beer! Oh, and DON'T FORGET to record your finish time!