Wu-Tang Academy Alumni

Pugsly Sugestions?

I have a Pugsly frame in the mail, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for someone who has no experience in bike building.
    My only real plan is to have Wildfire build me a set on Large Marge wheels for winter and sand riding and a set of 29er's for everything else. Other than that, it's wide open.
    I apreciate any and all suggestions.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

Alaska Turner Mafia
    bgb Hambone, most components on the Pugs seem pretty standard except for the wheelbuilds, the wider bottom bracket, an E-type front derailleur, and having to use two rear brakes.

It sounds like Wildfire is helping you out with the wheels, so that's covered. Surly has 100mm wide BB's available in an ISIS spline, so you'll need compatible ISIS cranks. At your height and with your long legs, you should keep your eyes open for some 180's at least. If you don't want to go ISIS because of their poor reliability record, Rick at RTR just showed me a RaceFace setup that's new: a Diabolous crankset with outboard bearings that has a longer spindle attached for the extra width, and is even a bit thicker walled than stock. It's beefy because that's their DH model, but it looked really nice. It was installed on a Vicious Thunderwing and fit the bike well. It didn't look overly bulky at all. Decide if it's just going to be a two ring setup or not.

Also knowing you, I think you should keep your eyes out for a 28" wide handlebar. E-type derailleur needs to be top pull too.

You could save a buck by buying a singlespeed disc hub for your front wheel. Two freewheeling rear hubs will cost a little more. Also the Avid mechanicals work great and are economical, just remember it'll be a hassle to remove and re-install your rear wheel with the brake unbolting involved that's inherent with horizontal dropouts. Philip has found the Magura brake/wavy rotor combo that eliminates this obstacle, but hydraulic brakes will cost you more.

You'll also need to decide whether you prefer twist shifters or thumbshifters. Twists are nice if you plan on winter riding with bulky gloves, but if you'll use pogies it's not an issue. I'd also keep my eyes out for some of Surly's "Nice rack" offerings to complement the Pug's utlilty function. Mark at Wildfire also has frame bags you could look into while you're spending time with him.

Let me know if you need any help installing anything. I'm mobile enough now with one crutch to make it to my stool in the garage. We had fun putting big laker's snowbike together. I want one of these next so I'm excited for you. Man, gots to get me one....

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Thanks for the input Rando. I will definitely take you up on your offer.
    My Frame arrived Last night and check out the maiden voyager. He looks stoked.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bones get broke; 02-16-2006 at 11:49 AM.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis