Thread: Pugs BB

mtbr member

Pugs BB

Any problems getting stiff in the cold?
    I used an FSA last year and never really had any issues or at least ignored them if I did. This year I have a Truvative in there and that thing gets really stiff bellow zero. Everything functions fine, but I can't help to wonder if I'm working harder than I should.
    Anybody winterized a BB for the Pugs? Any BB work better than another for this?

Martin,
    What are you using in Bethel?

KuskoRiverCruiser

BB Issues...

PB,

I've gone with Phil Wood BB on the Pugsleys...they make one for the 100mm shell...works well...square tapered though! Depending what drive set up you're using, you may have to play with the chainline at the front end...Dimension makes some Cyclocross STapered Crankarms that are inexpensive and have work well so far...nothing a variety of varied length chainring bolts can't remedy.

Talk with Brent at Phil regarding the BB and spindle lengths, he's been v. helpful.

FYI...I did mention to Brent that the cold weather grease they are pushing doesn't quite make the grade for AK. Mentioned the Molykote to him, though have not talked to him about the Morningstar Soup yet...If I were Phil Wood I'd partner up with Morningstar to design spec grease for their components...would be an unbeatable combo.

The bearings on the Phil BB are outboard...can regrease without having to disassemble the BB completely...thats nice.

Be sure to get two tools...it makes assemble easier.

Also bought bearings from Phil Wood to replace all the bearings on my Surly hubs...step up for sure.

Had a long talk with Paul Morningstar this afternoon...not only does he know his sh*^, but he is committed to end users and is willing to share...long story short - I'm greasing my bikes - top to bottom - with the Morningstar 'Soup' aka 'KY Jelly' discussed in previous threads...BB included.

Most of our bikes we've got on the trail are grease-able, in situ, via small zerks (headset, hubs, pedals - new or legacy WTB GG)...except for the BBs...which kinda pisses me off as this is where grease-ability is most needed...most succeptable to getting wet...so I'm looking at retro-ing the Phil BBs with a grease port..have some ideas that worked on my 1980s Ibis...will let you know more...after checking with Brent.

Trying Profile Racing MTB CrankBB setup on the Wildfire...like the floating spindle idea for SSpeed chainlines...verdict still out...but looks good!

ML

Kusko Kruzer

BTW...trails are in...season is here!

Happy trails!

Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger
    Any problems getting stiff in the cold?
    I used an FSA last year and never really had any issues or at least ignored them if I did. This year I have a Truvative in there and that thing gets really stiff bellow zero. Everything functions fine, but I can't help to wonder if I'm working harder than I should.
    Anybody winterized a BB for the Pugs? Any BB work better than another for this?

Martin,
    What are you using in Bethel?
    Martin
    [SIZE=1]"The pursuit of truth and adventure is far more noble a task than looking for work", [/SIZE]
    http://fatbikealaska.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    You probably mentioned it somewhere, but where does one get the Molykote grease? What kind of applications is it intended for?

I was thinking about the Phil BB last year when word of it got out, but I'm going see if I can make due with the ISIS to avoid buying more crap, but the bearings being so accessible as you describe is nice.

KuskoRiverCruiser
    PB,

Don't have a source for the Molykote...got mine directly from Dow Chemical as samples.
    I'm sure you can find it in ANC...I would inquire at the bearing retailers first!

I'm not using it in quantity...so I have enough...let me know who carries it in ANC.

I'm using the 'Soup' which can be purchased directly from Paul Morningstar...

sales@morningstartools.com

or call us at: 760-379-2133

checks can be mailed to:
    M.T.P
    PO bx 213
    Bodfish, CA 93205-0213

Orders have a 24hr turn around, and sorry, no credit cards accepted at this time.

BTW...used Paul's FreeHubBuddy with the Soup on some legacy WTB hubs last night...smooth and free...even below zero...Soup is the ticket!

[QUOTE =pbasinger]You probably mentioned it somewhere, but where does one get the Molykote grease? What kind of applications is it intended for?

I was thinking about the Phil BB last year when word of it got out, but I'm going see if I can make due with the ISIS to avoid buying more crap, but the bearings being so accessible as you describe is nice.[/QUOTE]
    Martin
    [SIZE=1]"The pursuit of truth and adventure is far more noble a task than looking for work", [/SIZE]
    http://fatbikealaska.blogspot.com/