mtbr member
    May 2011

Proposed Chugach state park fatbike reforms

Today, Chugach state park proposed some modest reforms to the existing AK administrative code that would help to allow a bit more (limited) winter fatbiking within CSP. Ironically, same set of proposed regulation changes also open up CSP to wide-range use by burros and Alpacas, I suppose this gives an indication of the relative regard they give bikers, (somewhere below the burros and alpacas).
    Full text of the proposed change is at;
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/misc/pro...ange062515.pdf
    and a main intro site where you can submit public comments is at;
    Proposed Park Regulations

In my opinion, this is still an overreaching level of regulation for winter use of fatbikes, we at least deserve the access that is afforded to burros! I can understand regulating bikes in CSP for summer use but I see very little rational for restricting winter fatbikes to just a few select trails. It is not as if CSP grooms trails for skiing that fatbikes are then destroying for skiing. I live right on the border of CSP and find that the trails into my area of the park are seldom any good for skiing the day after fresh tracks are made as they get post-holed to death by all the runners and walkers that think they don't need to use snowshoes.

In any case, at least these changes are a small step in the right direction. Maybe by the time I am too old to ride anymore they will see the light and remove the restrictions from winter fatbiking the trails that are across the street from my house.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    GrayJay, thanks for posting this. CSP does not seem to appreciate the fact that for the most part fat biking is self-limiting, in the sense that when the skiing is good the biking is not, and vice versa, though there are (rare) periods when overly enthusiastic cyclists trench trails and make the skiing a little treacherous. Not to mention the fact that most of us don't have much interest in carrying our bikes to the top of CSP peaks and bikes physically can't be ridden in the back country other than on packed trails (except perhaps during crust season when it makes no difference anyway). Beyond that, fat bikes do a lot less damage in winter than walkers and runners - and do minuscule damage in the summer relative to burros, alpacas and horses.

IMO there should be no restrictions on fat bikes in the winter months. The more cyclists that comment in favor of less restrictions the better. CSP needs to hear from us!!

mtbr member
    Glad to see the code has been amended to include Rabbit Lake trail. They put up 'no bikes' signs when they improved the trailhead a few years ago despite the fact Rabbit Lake trail was approved for bikes in the approved park master plan? State parks at work. Well, now at least I can ride that trail freely without being nagged at.

I did notice that groups of up to nine manure dropping ungulates are allowed without permits. One horse is enough to foul a trail for miles, let alone up to nine (or more with a permit). Archaic these people are. Fifty bikers could pass and you would not be the wiser except perhaps for the odd drizzle of blood from somebody getting rowdy.

As for the rest of the Park, I wonder if this means the final parks plan has been approved since they are making these amendments to the code? I would think so. There is approval in the new plan for a new trail from Glen Alps that will be open to biking (thank you STA). I am looking forward to that.

As for the trail across the street from your house Gray Jay, it is the same as if a tree falls in the woods can you hear it.

sluice box
    Please comment that the portion of Beaver Pond Trail located within the Chugach State Park in the NE1/4 of Section 24,Township 10 North, Range 1 East, Seward Meridian in Girdwood starting at the Gird to Bird Bike path to where it enters HLB (muni) lands should be included for biking.
    http://www.muni.org/Departments/park...mmerTrlMap.pdf
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Reminder, today at 5:00pm the public comment period closed for the proposed CSP rule changes, flood them with support for opening up the entire CSP to winter fatbiking!

How awesome would it be to be able to (legally) do trips such as crow pass, symphony/eagle lake, arctic valley to indian traverse on a fatbike!

sluice box