Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The POS/Frigid Bits Global Fat Tire Party

Global Fat Tire Day Update 1
    The POS and Frigid Bit Riders (yes, you know who you are) will form a coalition to create the first ever Anchorage version of the Global Fat Tire Day! All riders regardless of bike religion or not, are encouraged to join us in the promotion and making this first ever venture be insanely fun! This classy ride will occur on December7, at West Chester Lagoon. The meet up time will be 8PM. The ride will start and end at West Chester boat ramp. Costumes are encouraged but not required and as with the last Frigid Bits gathering anything goes costume wise as long as you can afford the bail money and the possible hypothermia. There should be burn barrels available and plenty of wood for warm and fuzzy heat and perhaps some brats will show up and adult beverages for the post ride recovery munchies!
    The ride will have short, moderate and long options. The long option will be for those who may be training for something like the Susitna 50K race or perhaps one of the longer races. All options at this time will go towards the east The one given route is that there will be a lap or three on the lagoon ice. All riders will be required to have lights and a helmet.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Looking forward to it!
    c

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have a good route setup for this ride Carlos. Lots of single track fun to be had. Route is gonna start from westchester and head east. Ride time can range from short too long what ever you are feeling up too. Be sure to tell all your fat bike friends and they need to tell all their fat bike friends about this ride. Its gonna be a great ride with lots of fun to be had. Hope to see a ton of you out there!

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Awesomeness!
    Pfat pflows phine!

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Can't wait, been spreading the word!

mtbr member
    Sounds fun hope I can make it.
    "but you are a jerk, google it!" anonymous negative feedback 09-18-2012 09:07 AM Keep is positive folks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

proposed route for the ride on the 7th December 2013

Kevin mapped out this route yesterday, here is what he says about this: "Here is the proposed full route for the Fat Bike Day group ride. As you can see most of the single track connects with the tour trail so there plenty of places to turn around early if you would like to ride a shorter route. The only piece missing from the route is Blue Dot cause of overflow but I have confidence that come Saturday it will firm up and be safe to ride."
    Global Fat Bike Day route by nickblades2000 at Garmin Connect - Details

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    A link to the Facebook event page, should have pretty much the same level of details in here, but just in case:

Global Fat Bike Day 2013 - Alaska
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1390004937911750/

sluice box
    Oct 2013
    I'll be in from Girdwood.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Man, wish I could do this. I get in late on Friday unfortunately
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Man, wish I could do this. I get in late on Friday unfortunately
    Jayem,
    Ride is Saturday or did you mean you get in late on Saturday?
    Would rather be out riding!

It's not just about a bike

Elitest thrill junkie
    Oh, I see it's 8pm! Maaayybe!

Edit:well, not now. I'm stuck in Dallas.
    Last edited by Jayem; 12-06-2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Weather
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    So it looks like the ride start at West Chester Lagoon and end at Elmore ball fields is that correct.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Not sure yet, Stay tuned. If anything, the loop will start and end of the Lagoon! Still verifying conditions after all the rain and warm temps. We don't want anyone getting hurt on the ice!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I rode a lot of the trails in Bicentennial last night they where in fair shape a little icey but ride able without studs I will stay tuned thanks

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The ride is still on- studs are on skinny or fat tires will help to keep impromptu bike break dancing to a minimum. Having phun on pfat is a phrame of mind!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    POS/Global Fat Bike Day Ride alert! It is icy out there! Bring your studded bike be that fat or skinny, it's all riding as far as we are concerned. Route will be adjusted as required. Don't have studs, come and hang out around the burn barrel and chill out with some great people. See you all at 8pm don't let the weather keep you house bound.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by exp18 View Post
    So it looks like the ride start at West Chester Lagoon and end at Elmore ball fields is that correct.
    Actually the start and end points are at the boat ramp at West Chester.
    The world famous fabulous and nearly biblical Frigid Bits Burn Barrel will be there for your admiration and enjoyment, oh yeah, please bring your beverage and snack of choice to share other like minded souls!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just rode from ballfields-along the creek trail to smokejumper to blue dot, out on the tour trail back on blue dot after the little bridge, back out smokejumper up rovers run to brown bear across paper plate and upper speedway back on ballfields boogie. Studded Escalators. Great riding, some slippery roots you have to watch out for and minimal snow coverage on paper plate but otherwise we think it is possible to ride it without studs. Especially since it has been well ridden and chewed up a bit!

AKTed
    Sep 2004
    I was out on many of the same trails last night - no studs. Did I pass you on Paper Plate? Passed somebody with a dog. Wasn't too bad. The packed main trails were the worst, where they were exposed to the rain. Nice glaze. But the glaze seemed to be broken up by traffic and not near as bad on the single track.

mtbr member
    I don't get off until 10pm... I'll ride down after work. Hope everyone is still around.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm sure some of us should be around !

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ride should be decent even for those without studs. Some sections may require a little more attention then others but the snow pack has started to soften a little and actually seemed to be providing a fair amount of traction. I will be riding my regular fat tires tonight if that counts for anything. Looking forward to see you all out there!

Kat71 we will be out on route possibly. You can send a message to see where some of us are if you would like otherwise heading to the laggon then you should find folks hanging by the burn barrel. See you there.

mtbr member
    Thanks for organizing, it was a lot of fun.
    "but you are a jerk, google it!" anonymous negative feedback 09-18-2012 09:07 AM Keep is positive folks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks to Carlos, Jordy and Kevin for organising this event. It was a good ride (although I only got to ride part of It on the night) and a great show of what I know is only a small part of the fat/snow bike community up here. Looking forward to seeing you all out on the trails in the future.
    Would rather be out riding!

It's not just about a bike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast