Thread: P-Ville Recon

Beware of Doggerel

P-Ville Recon

Went to Petersville last week. It was nice. The trail was good and firm. But the winds where strong. The weather forcast called for 40mph gusts, I found some shelter to bivy before any of that wind hit, but it was a constant blowing all the time. As night fell the wind really picked up and it looked ugly out there. Morning was calm. Luckily the air wasn't that cold so the wind chill wasn't insane. The trail is really good, and it could be a fast day trip. Once you cross the bridge after the canyon, into the Petersville mining district, and climb up again into the open country the trail gets punchy becasue the snowmachines spread out. It seems like the snowmachines all take the road out to the bridge so the road is good and packed but then they really spread out and the trial is much less firm. I sort of forgot about how much climbing there is until I got out there. There is a ton of climbing, especially when riding an overloaded Pugs. Lots of riding but I think it gets really packed with snowmachines on the weekend and the trails are narrow with lots of blind turns. I was all alone on Thursday and Friday, but saw two groups of 14-20 snowmachiners heading in on Friday afternoon.
    Last edited by Adam; 03-18-2007 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Forgot to add pix
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Beware of Doggerel
    hmm can't seem to get the pics to show here's try #2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Caveman
    Cool Adam,
    Kinda strange when there are snowmachine tracks everywhere but the place is deserted..
    How far to the Kahiltna did you get? I need to check a map..
    way to get out man.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hey Adam
    I heard about the Barrow barriers.

You got no friends or do you prefer to ride alone?

Beware of Doggerel
    Bearbait,

Yeah I thought that was strange too. But I think the place just gets hammered on the weekends. Iíve heard it is a really popular snowmachine area, and the trails are certainly there. But weather underground had a wind advisory and all sorts of dire predictions for the wind chill last week, so maybe the snowmachiners paid attention to that stuff. Also, given that I saw almost 40 snowmachines heading in friday afternoon, Iím pretty confident that it is just a weekend place for those guys. The other thing is it seems that there are a ton of trails in the first 10-20 miles, sort of in the area between Petersville road and the highway. So they may have been out there and I just didnít see them. In any event it was really cool to have BOTH packed solid trails and no one around. As for the Kahiltna, I think the best way to get there is to head out on the winter trails from behind the Forks road house. Itís a straight shot to the Kahiltna River. It looks simple on the map, but I didnít go that way, so I donít know if that trail is in or not. I just took the road (which was packed good and hard) and went up into the hills thinking I could drop down Cache Creek onto the Kahiltna and make a loop or something. When I got into the open country on top of the hills, is when the wind really started kicking up and I only had a bivy. This is also where the trail got soft. So I turned around and headed back down into the treed and sheltered areas. I think it is doable with some pushing and a shelter/tent. I imagine there is always some wind in that area.

Carl,
    I have no friends. In fact I invited a few folks and one of them even hopped a plane and flew several thousand miles away in response to my invite. Maybe, I should wash my bike clothes more often.
    Adam

Mr.Secret
    Another good access point to get to the Kahiltna is past Trapper Creek on the Parks. There's a pullout on the west side of the hwy. that snowmachiners use to get out to Bunko Lake. Sorry I don't remember the exact distance past T. Creek but it's something in the 7 / 10 mi. range. This is a good approach option if you don't want to contend with double wide snowmachine trailers etc. on Petersville Road.

Caveman
    RTR,
    Have you riden out there then? Seems like the T-Creek route would add alot of extra distance.

Beware of Doggerel

Express

That's the way I went. There is a large parking area at Milepost 121.5 of the parks highway, then you hop on a snowmachine trail called the east west express that shoots a straight line to the Petersville road. Actually it starts on the east side of the highway and runs along the road for a bit, then crosses over and goes more or less directly west to the highway. There are a bunch of trails going off to the left and right from there and everything is packed and groomed. Also the views are fantastic, just like the dirve in if you took Petersville road, but you get to ride it on a bike. Foraker and Denali were both out on my ride in. Just amazing. Of course its sort of a steady climb up to Petersville road.

It might add some distance, but you don't have to drive in Petersville road or compete with snowmachines for parking etc. I think it makes for a faster drive and longer bike.

Adam

FatBike Fiend

Bunco Lake

Bearbair,
    I rode into Bunco once about 10 years ago, there was a good trail to the lake about 14 miles in. Looks like you would get on the Tokositna River from there and go upstream to Home Lake, then over the Dutch Hills to the Cache Creek country. It does seem like it would be longer that way but what the heck, it's pretty country.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    RTR,
    Have you riden out there then? Seems like the T-Creek route would add alot of extra distance.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Mr.Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    RTR,
    Yep, the first time though was on a snowmachine in ' 83. I've also skied out there. The last time I biked it was probably 4 yrs. ago. And yeah, it's VERY scenic. One thing though, I've never intersected the Petersville Rd. going the route I'm thinking about.
    Last edited by R.T.R.; 03-19-2007 at 08:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

petersville trails

adam the trail down cache creek doesn't normally go all the way to the kahiltna it usually comes back up some where near spruce creek and then runs back across black creek summit to the forks roadhouse. also the snow is in short sipply this year and is getting really hard so it has detered a lot of the snowmachiners. most years it doesn't matter what day of the week there will be lots of folks out