Thread: P-Crusader

Bikes are good

P-Crusader

So, a little less than a dozen times I've seen the letter P, pissed into the middle of a trail. Mostly they are bike/hike trails, once on Rainbow peak trail. Speedway, hillside trails, and up by prospect heights to name a few places. My buddy says he's seen them around too. Grody man. It's like a symptom of a deeper problem maybe. Creepy and grody.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    ...not as gross as the golden calderas of frozen horse piss and their accompanying piles of apples...IMHO...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

Elitest thrill junkie
    And what about fresh and frozen dog ****, that really takes the cake. Oh, thanks for taking your dog out on the trails and crapping all over them! I haven't really noticed the P-bandit, but I think it will likely remain a mystery, unless posters go up at all trailheads and all user groups are contacted.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    ...the "DeSmet Phantom S#!tter" of '93/'94 was rather disturbing as well...
    Last edited by damnitman; 03-02-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Bikes are good
    I hate when the dog walkers bag up their dogs crap in a bright colored sack, and then hang them on tree branches. I hate the guy that spells P with his piss even more I think. Someday, this idiot will be laughing and joking about it and someone will overhear him. Then we'll know, and then, well, we can do something about it. I'm not sure what, public humiliation is usually pretty good though.

mtbr member
    I've seen the 'P' too....gross...really? A scarlet letter on the forehead when we figure it out. Maybe we could all put the 'P' on him.

And the dog bags and poop are oh soooo annoying. Seems like other dog walkers would pick up other poo bags that aren't theirs when they head back. I pick up other's trash when I find it in the wilderness and hike it out. The dog bags, and poo, are totally disgusting.

Bikes are good
    I've had this one thought. Well, I have a lot of thoughts, but this one has come up a few times. What if we, collectively, snap pics of the poo hanging from trees all over the place and put them on a big poster that we then hang at the kiosks at the trailheads.

Maybe just 1 picture of 1 poo bag would with a big circle and red cross through it sort of thing.

Alas, so much effort.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    I've had this one thought. Well, I have a lot of thoughts, but this one has come up a few times. What if we, collectively, snap pics of the poo hanging from trees all over the place and put them on a big poster that we then hang at the kiosks at the trailheads.

Maybe just 1 picture of 1 poo bag would with a big circle and red cross through it sort of thing.

Alas, so much effort.
    Or we could hang all the poo bags as ornaments on one tree. I don't really want to touch poo but....

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AKPeach View Post
    Seems like other dog walkers would pick up other poo bags that aren't theirs when they head back. I pick up other's trash when I find it in the wilderness and hike it out. The dog bags, and poo, are totally disgusting.
    As a dog owner and frequent user of the trails with my dog, I have no intent to handle other people's bags of dog crap and carry it out for them. I take care of mine if/when it is necessary. I should not be expected to clean up after others any more than a non-dog owner should be expected to clean up after them. I don't know what their dog has been into and what may be on that bag and don't carry rubber gloves with me to deal with it. Like you, I frequently pick up trash left by others (bottles, cans, wrappers, etc...), but am not going to make a regular activity of picking up used toilet paper in the woods unless I happen to have some sanitary means to do so (say on a camping trip where I already have a plan to address my own, so will take care of what else may already be there at the same time).

The bags left out there drive me nuts. People claim they are going to pick it up on the way back when asked, but most of the time are doing a loop and never even going back past that point anyway. Even if they do go back, they don't pick it up. It then either gets caught in the trail groomer, run over by a bike, torn into by another dog/animal, punctured by a ski pole, etc... The ones in the trees can also be a bit too inviting to kids using ski poles as a baseball bat (yes, I know this from experience as a Jr. Nordic coach - there was a good talk after that incident). Personally, I would prefer then leave the dog crap there and not bother bagging it if they aren't going to haul it out. At least that way, there isn't the addition of the plastic bag as litter.

Maybe MOA should do something at the bag stations at the trailhead. It would be hard to not see a sign right there as you are grabbing a bag out of the dispenser before your walk. Something like the camping advise "Haul it in, haul it out" and mention that there is no trash pickup service along the trails to clean up after them.

Sorry, rant over....

mtbr member
    ...or the Muni could install a poo box at the first trail junction after trailheads...it seems that the majority of left behind poo bags that I've noticed are within a few hundred yards of the trail heads...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    ...or the Muni could install a poo box at the first trail junction after trailheads...it seems that the majority of left behind poo bags that I've noticed are within a few hundred yards of the trail heads...
    It's too bad that people are too lazy to return to the trailhead when it is so close and dispose of the poo bags properly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    I think the trash cans at the trailhead are plenty convenient for people to use. Who's going to go 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, or further down a trail daily to go empty a trash can? With so many trails and so many directions you can typically go directly from the trailhead, you would be talking about 100+ more locations to clean up daily. I don't think the Muni or others should have to go out of their way to chase after and clean up after lazy people, the lazy people need it beat into their heads to clean up after themselves. We seem to quickly resort to looking for ways that other people can step in/pay for fixing problems created by someone else when I feel we should be looking to those creating the problem to fix it themselves.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The thing that people need to remember is most of our trail systems run through a few different agencies land, both state and federal it is not all park land. There is nothing that says that they have to continue to let the trails be accessed by the public. The more we the public trashes them the more likely they will not continue to give us access, no matter which users are doing it. So I think it is up to us the users to fix the problem. Going to one of the agencies to ask for more trash cans may trigger a responses that will not make any of us very happy. Maybe some signs that urges people to pick up after themselves may help. I to hate seeing all the baggies that are left along the trail for someone else to pick up.

mtbr member
    Get rid of the little boxes at the trail head that offer baggies. Then at least the poo would eventually disintegrate into our water and soil.

From Anchorage to Zero Waste Fall 2012/2013: Anchorage has an estimated 65,000 dogs, each producing an average of 3/4 pound of waste per day. That is more than 48,000 pounds or 24 tons of dog waste each and every day. If none of us cleaned up after our dog this winter, the spring melt could potentially release more than 4,000 tons of poop in to our waterways.

The problem needs to stop with the dog owners who do not pick up their lil' poo bags.