rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job! NutCracker Results / Amber Represented

First , Thanks to all those riders and their support crews who endured the heinous cold at Goose Lake and beyond this Saturday evening !

Well, 12 riders, yes 12 riders signed up to try the 20 mile out and back route that started at Goose Lake which had the turn around the Hilltop Ski Chalet then had to ride back to Goose Lake. Then, there was a mandatory 2 laps around the Frigid Bits course, the riders had the option of completing the 2 laps prior to or after the trail section or 1 lap before going to the trail section and 1 lap after the trail section. Well, well, well, a rider employed a very interesting strategy and decided to ride the 2 laps after the trail segment, well like some old coot said, some dogs hunt and others dont, that riders dog did not hunt !
    The temp at the start of the race was -6, that was warm compared to -17 that was found at the Tour of Anchorage trail ( which was a major segment of the route ) and around the Science Center ! Most riders arrived at the finish line with hanging facial glaciers of various lengths and thickness. Amber arrived with some stylish eyelash glaciers that were almost 1/4 of a inch thick !

Twelve fast and some not so fast riders showed up to ride the brain numbing cold of the night, 1 got lost, then got found and then returned shortly after the start to ride another day, one fellow had a a bunch of neurons misfire and forgot his light and backpack and did not start, the 3rd person to retire, had a rear hub refuse to work that late at night and at -16 balmy degrees, the rider then took his bike for a nocturnal hike back to Goose Lake from the Tour of Anchorage trail !

Amber Represented !
    Amber Stull, the 2006 Frigid Bits Champion, who successfully kicked some very major booty in last years finale, and the first and only woman yet to participate in a Frigid Bits event, once again became the first woman to race the men in the 2nd winter mt. bike event. This awesome cyclist rode the 20 miles with victory in mind, however, a lost contact, a frozen water-tube in her Camelback and eyelashes that developed miniature glaciers delayed her arrival to the finish line. Despite those difficulties at -16 degrees Amber still displayed the positive, attitude and heart that made her the Frigid Bits Champion !
    Once again Amber has demonstrated that women can effectively compete with men in these winter events and at times break out a can of winter weight whoop a$$ and crush the male riders at winter bike events .... yeeehhhhhaaaw Amber !

As a side note; the person who had the unfortunate brain phart, jumped back in his car and drove all the way to Eagle River got his "stuff" that he forgot, came back and rode part of the trail route and as I was leaving for home, he was preparing to do some laps on the Frigid Bits course ! Gotta love that passion to ride a icy bicycle !

Order of Finish
    ( Peter Basinger 1:14 ) , (Mike B. 1:18 ) , ( Jay N. 1:19 ) , ( Jamey 2 laps S. 1:20,0
    ( Evan "To Hawt " H. 1:23 ), ( Tom P. 1:24 ) , ( Ben W. 1 :26) , ( Amber Stull. 1:34 ) ,
    ( Evan T, 1:35 )

The next event is December 2nd , The Goose Lake Frigid Bits Course
    Last edited by rio; 11-27-2006 at 10:51 AM. Reason: amendement

mtbr member
    Fun race Carlos

Thanks for putting it on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I just have to say that Amber would have done even better if she hadn't followed me off Goose Lake onto the APU trails. Long story short, I didn't get the 411 on how the course went through APU and we took a longer route than necessary. And she was either too polite (or concerned that I didn't know where I was) to pass me until we got back on the TOA trail.

Thanks for organizing Carlos. Even though I bet ice cream that I will probably continue to finish last, I am looking forward to some more races.

Evan