mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Notice - Sunday 1/12 - Ski Race on Abbott Multi-Use Trail

Just wanted to get the word out regarding the AMH Anchorage Cup ski race this Sunday, January 12th. The race is being held at Service and utilizing the multi-use trails from Service up to Hilltop for the classic leg and the lighted loops for the skate leg. This means that there will likely be fresh grooming and double classic tracks set along the multi-use trails for the race. If you have the option, it might be good to hold off on riding this section of trail until after the race on Sunday. They will likely be grooming it early that morning, so it is likely to be soft and probably not much fun riding anyway until it has had time to set up. A good chance to explore some other routes between the Ballfields and Hilltop (Speedway/Rovers/Black Bear/Brown Bear/Polar Bear/etc...).

The race starts at noon and the classic leg is first, so I would expect everyone to be clear of the multi-use trail by 1:00pm at the latest.

mtbr member
    Just out of curiousity..... with the miles of groomed ski only trail available, why on earth would they run on the multi use. They (I'm not sure who they are) have got to expect some conflict from all the other non skiing user groups. Seams kinda cheeky. Maybe I'm just reading way to much into it.
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    This race is not like most other races and Kincaid is taken up by western region and AWG qualifying biathlon races. This is a duathlon race that requires both a classic and skate course. At Hillside, there is not enough space to run two different courses without utilizing a portion of the multi-use trails. I'm not the one picking the venue or setting the courses or tied to it in any way other than being one of the racers. I'm just trying to help people plan ahead to avoid issues. Take it for what it's worth.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I feel the exact same way when we have mountain bike races, we don't have enough room without using hiking only trails and XC ski trails in the winter.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I feel the exact same way when we have mountain bike races, we don't have enough room without using hiking only trails and XC ski trails in the winter.
    What race(s) do we use hiking only and XC ski trails on in the winter? The only hiking trail I can think of would be Middle Fork, and I'm not aware of any race there. We (winter cyclists) have just recently been allowed to ride portions of that trail system, and that's been by permit only.
    I'm curious about any races being held on groomed XC ski trials also. It's my understanding that all the winter bike races/events are held on the multi use trails, or the social trails. Race organizer's work very hard to insure we do not impact NSAA's grooming efforts, or use any "ski only" trails.
    Sorry Jayem, I'm calling you out here a bit. Winter cyclist have not always had a good relationship with the ski community here in Anchorage. In last few years things have improved greatly such as, NSAA giving us permission to cross their trails in Kincaid park, and generally more patience with our growing sport. I know you're new here, but just a few years past, we had a tumultuous co-existance with the skier's. That seems to have changed and I don't want reader's of this forum to think that we have taken advantage of that by hosting races on trails that are off limits to winter biking. If I'm wrong, and we're racing on these trails, then please let me know and I'll shut up.
    Thanks,
    c

let's ride...
    Dec 2006
    I think we as a community can not only curb any criticism of skiers using the multi-use trail for a half day to conduct a race, but we can be supportive and understanding. Seems like, oh, just one week ago when about 250 bikers took off to use over forty miles of multiuse trails for a race. Though I wish NSAA (or the muni) would not groom the coastal trail the night before (or morning of) the Frosty Bottom, I'm not aware of any whining from the organization about the large number of cyclist who impact their efforts during race day. In fact, of the dozens of trail users I encountered last weekend who were not participating in the race, only one made a negative comment which I believed stemmed from her misinterpreting a racers remark.

ANYRIDE is spot on in his observations. Where user (cyclist/skier) conflicts have historically been a winter long subject of discussion, the topic seems to be fading quickly over the past two years. I appreciate the efforts for the user groups to accommodate each other and I hope that continues. With winter snow biking picking up in popularity down in 'Murica, this topic is quickly coming to the forefront.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I appreciate the notice of a race being held so I can choose a different trail or go later so that I don't interfere with, or get frustrated with, the increased use of a trail. Everyone needs to respect each other, after all, most trails are multi-use or shared, and we all have ownership of the city trails. The term 'share the road' doesn't just apply to automobiles. I would encourage all fat tire bikers who ride on a groomed trail to become a NSAA member, and wear their pin proudly when riding. Might go a long way with 'skier attitude' which I've experienced just walking off the side of a trail. No one specific group owns the sole rights to a trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    This race is not like most other races and Kincaid is taken up by western region and AWG qualifying biathlon races. This is a duathlon race that requires both a classic and skate course. At Hillside, there is not enough space to run two different courses without utilizing a portion of the multi-use trails. I'm not the one picking the venue or setting the courses or tied to it in any way other than being one of the racers. I'm just trying to help people plan ahead to avoid issues. Take it for what it's worth.
    Jason, I wasn't implying you had anything to do with the race and I appreciate the heads up. Not trying to come across as a jerk, just trying to understand the need when there is so much other ski only trail. Thanks for the background on the race.
    litespeed's break