GIT-R-DONE!

New question here. Nokian Hakka or Nokian Freddies

What would you recomend? The Nokian Hakka or the Freddies!
    Last edited by aka bubba; 10-26-2006 at 08:26 AM.
    Checking Out The Big Phenomenon

mtbr member

For commuting

for commuting in Anchorage (neighborhoods, bike trails, parking lots and occasional street exposure) I'd be going with the wxc 300's - more pointy studs I think - dude you can take those out to a hockey rink and ride a wheelie they hook up so well!

I ran some used 296's for a few years - they work well also, but nothing like the WXC 300's - -
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

hakka?

the WXC are fantastic but narrow. The Freddies have extra width so that they don't cut through the snow so much - but the difference is pretty subtle. Therefore, the WXC is probably your tire of choice. The 296 and others are not nearly so good.

mtbr member
    The 296s, Hakkas, and Freddies all have pointed studs now. For a while the Hakkas were the only ones and therefore the best gripping of all those choices. Now they all come with pointed carbide tips. I would only go with the Hakkas if weight is a concern, but they are not as durable as the Freddies and the 296s because the stud has an aluminum shaft as opposed to a steel one like the other choices that wears away after awhile. The Freddies would be my choice because they offer plenty of grip and are a decent width for riding on the soft stuff and running on snowcats.

KuskoRiverCruiser

Any production studded 29er

that anyone knows of...or a suggestion on a 29" tire / pattern that might stud-up well...I'm thinking it would be an ideal combo for running on those 'glare-ice' days...won't be long...just came in from a ride and feels like wer'e gonna have a freeze here on the Delta tonight.
    Martin
    [SIZE=1]"The pursuit of truth and adventure is far more noble a task than looking for work", [/SIZE]
    http://fatbikealaska.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qayaq_alaska
    that anyone knows of...or a suggestion on a 29" tire / pattern that might stud-up well...I'm thinking it would be an ideal combo for running on those 'glare-ice' days...won't be long...just came in from a ride and feels like wer'e gonna have a freeze here on the Delta tonight.

I haven't really kept up on all the new 29er tires that have come out the past few years, so there are probably better choices now, but I had a customer that studded up some Kenda Claws. He used two fronts and studded them with some studs that he removed from a pair of Hakkas. You might get some good ideas here http://www.mtbtires.com/.

No, that's not phonetic
    The Freddies are a lot more durable as the rubber is stiffer and you will twist out a lot less studs and will rip less knobs (which also then dump studs). They are a couple of hundred grams heavier per tire, but well worth it. I put the Hakkas on my 130# GF's bike and I run the Freddies.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.