New winter race!

Printable View

• 01-15-2013
    curly1
    Let me know if you need any more course packers.
  • 01-20-2013
    thirstywork
    There was 12-14' of fresh snow on the course Friday. Things are looking good, but it will take a bit more packing before it's nice and firm. We'll be going up again Friday if any of you with snowmachines would like to join in and see the course first hand. The GPS showed 931' of climbing per lap, with all of that concentrated in the first half of the course. Here's a pic of the trail coming down the river.

http://www.facebook.com/FatbackBikes?ref=hl
  • 01-20-2013
    ickyickyptngzutboing
    I went snow machining from my property on sheep creek & headed into the foothills of the Talkeetna mountains. About 6" of fluff there over a base layer of sugary snow with a 'faux' crust in the upper inch. I'm not sure if I can do the race yet because of a potential time conflict that day, but I may be able to assist with packing the trail (I've got a 136 that shouldn't tear up the snow like my 155).
  • 01-20-2013
    armyclimber
    is anyone interested in riding the course tomorrow???
  • 01-21-2013
    JordyB
  • 01-22-2013
    thirstywork
    1 Attachment(s)
    course map
    We'll be going back up Thursday for more packing. I would think it could be good to ride by the weekend, but still too soft at the moment. I'll post a report Friday. I just tried to post the map, but it wouldn't go. Should be up soon.
  • 01-22-2013
    AKCheesehead
    Clockwise or counter-clockwise in direction Greg?
  • 01-22-2013
    Lars_D
    Anyone have any thoughts on tires? Will this be ride-able on Dillingers or is this strictly a Nate / Bud / Lou course?
  • 01-22-2013
    patirwin
    Cool Course!
    That looks like a great course and logistically simple. Wish I could make it but I'll be checking out how it goes.Good Luck everyone!

Pat
  • 01-23-2013
    thirstywork
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ziax01 View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts on tires? Will this be ride-able on Dillingers or is this strictly a Nate / Bud / Lou course?

I'll post an update Friday. We're doing everything possible to pack it.
  • 01-23-2013
    thirstywork
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AKCheesehead View Post
    Clockwise or counter-clockwise in direction Greg?

Counter clockwise.
  • 01-23-2013
    curly1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thirstywork View Post
    I'll post an update Friday. We're doing everything possible to pack it.

Is it a course, if the weather cooperates, that can be ridden the whole way? Will we have to push our bikes?
  • 01-23-2013
    thirstywork
    Quote:

Originally Posted by curly1 View Post
    Is it a course, if the weather cooperates, that can be ridden the whole way? Will we have to push our bikes?

It should be a really fast course. The whole thing rideable.
  • 01-23-2013
    curly1
    Quote:

It should be a really fast course. The whole thing rideable.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I can't wait!!!
  • 01-24-2013
    Lars_D
    Will there be a time cut-off for the race (e.g. you have to finish in XX hours to get an official time.)
  • 01-25-2013
    thirstywork
    Chad, Tony, Ralf and I packed another 5" of snow on the course yesterday. It was snowing lightly when we left at 10pm, but didn't amount to much. Current temp is 13, so it should set up well. Sounds like there are some folks headed up for the weekend, so let us know how it rides.
  • 01-26-2013
    Urban AK
    A few of us are meeting in Talkeetna at 11:00am Sunday to ride the course if anyone wants to join.
  • 01-26-2013
    thirstywork
    Quote:

Will there be a time cut-off for the race (e.g. you have to finish in XX hours to get an official time.)

We will probably have a cutoff of 5pm for starting the third lap. Since we are doing awards, dinner and concert the same day, it's tight on timing.
    We'll be grooming as much as possible to keep it firm, so it should be doable. We'll have to run a sweep starting about 7.
  • 01-26-2013
    Lars_D
    Quote:

We will probably have a cutoff of 5pm for starting the third lap. Since we are doing awards, dinner and concert the same day, it's tight on timing.
    We'll be grooming as much as possible to keep it firm, so it should be doable. We'll have to run a sweep starting about 7.

Sounds great! I am really looking forward to this!

--Lars
  • 01-26-2013
    Big Karma
    2 Attachment(s)
    I tried riding the course today but didn't do a very good job of navigating. From what I saw, though, the trail was fairly solid. Not super fast, and traction was a bit sketchy on descents, but pretty good, overall.

Thanks to Thirsty and his cohorts for packing miles of trail, and for picking a route with a pretty view. :thumbsup:
  • 01-28-2013
    thirstywork
    Thanks Tim. Ralf was going to get out today and pack that 2" of snow that either fell, or was blown onto the course. Friday we are headed back up for more grooming. If we can believe Weather Underground, temps should be much warmer than this weekend. New snow in minus temps is always slow.
  • 01-28-2013
    curly1
    Any body want to ride it this coming weekend? It's rumored that there are going to be several dozen naked ladies strategically placed along the trail this Saturday (They will have bunny-boots and ear-muffs on, but in Alaska this is still considered naked between November 15th and March 20th).
    An inside source tells me the ladies are going to jump up and down and cheer those who make a practice run this Saturday!
  • 01-28-2013
    curly1
    The above post is pure fabrication, although I am interested in doing it Saturday on the off chance it's true.
  • 01-28-2013
    thirstywork
    We'll get more course markings up for you Friday. We put up some orange ribbon, but deliberately left out too much marking. Don't want to offend any of the locals.
  • 02-01-2013
    Valhalla
    Quote:

Dillingers are way overkill. We were up there last weekend and Nates, etc. are more than enough. I imagine some of the river could get windswept and icy but I ride on a lake and icy trails regularly with only a Husker Du and a Larry. The unnecessary friction and weight of the Dillingers would just waste energy and slow you down...imo.