Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    What Penguin???

New Traffic Pattern on Bolling Alley

95% of the trail signs have been installed on the Kincaid STA Trail System. Bolling Alley is the core loop of the network and it is now a directional trail.

Odd days are counter-clockwise.
    Even days are clock-wise.

Heads up and have fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Meanwhile, back at the hive....

Alaskan dirt junkie
    This is a big improvement for safety and trail flow. Thank you so much!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That's a great idea! Thank you!

What Penguin???
    This should alleviate some confusion about the direction of travel.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Meanwhile, back at the hive....

mtbr member
    Was out today riding counter-clockwise on Bowling Alley and came across some folks who thought it must have been Thursday, or perhaps Saturday. Takes awhile to sink in, I guess.

is buachail foighneach me
    Are there calendars posted at each of these signs? I would have to look at a calendar or my phone right now to tell you whether it's an even or an odd day. If they're going to be directional, just make them one direction, all the time, and save the logistical hassle. Some people aren't going to know the date, and those that do will be travelling the trails expecting no oncoming traffic.

mtbr member
    Its days of the week, not days of the month. I have typically always ridden Bowling Alley clockwise and I think that its the better of the two directions, but there are some sections that I think are fun riding counter-clockwise.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by polarflux View Post
    Its days of the week, not days of the month. I have typically always ridden Bowling Alley clockwise and I think that its the better of the two directions, but there are some sections that I think are fun riding counter-clockwise.
    Can you please tell me the odd and even days of a week?

mtbr member
    Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday are the odd days of the week.

mtbr member

Days of the Month

negative, ghost rider the pattern is full. It's days of the month! June 16th -clockwise. June 17 -counterclockwise.

It's just going to take some time to get used to.
    litespeed's break

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is it Bowling or Bolling ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    Is it Bowling or Bolling ?
    refer to post number 4
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Not quite. Odd and even refer to numbers, not days. I'm not sure how the word Sunday equates to odd or Monday to even. As ak greeff said, the direction is based on the number of the day. June 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, etc... is counter-clockwise, June 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, etc... is clockwise. Simple really.

Making it one direction all year would be boring and would take a lot out of the trail system. Right now, we essentially have 18 miles of trail to ride, why knock that down to 9 by only being able to ride it one way all the time? I like the idea they have in place now. It won't solve all two-way traffic, but it will reduce it a lot.

bikewrider.blogspot.com
    Jun 2011
    I don't get it. . .

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    that is just confusing as hell no wonder there will be people riding the "wrong" way

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Making it one direction all year would be boring and would take a lot out of the trail system. Right now, we essentially have 18 miles of trail to ride, why knock that down to 9 by only being able to ride it one way all the time? I like the idea they have in place now. It won't solve all two-way traffic, but it will reduce it a lot.
    I should have been more specific. I'm not suggesting making all of them one direction only. Most of them should be bi-directional. Some of the trails have limited sight lines, downhill jumps and berms that just aren't as fun to ride up and would not be a great loss to be limited to one direction of travel.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dsintov View Post
    that is just confusing as hell no wonder there will be people riding the "wrong" way
    Seriously? knowing the date is confusing as hell?

mtbr member
    I know the signage is new, but it might need some updating. This forum and others could have been a good place to bounce some signage ideas around before going final. Personally, I assumed the signage meant days of the week since unless you've just woken from a coma you'd probably know what day of the week it was. There is enough room on the current signage to indicate which days of the week are odd or even, I think, if there could be consensus on what are the odd or even days of the week. For the record, the series of tubes suggests that a week begins on Sundays which is supported by the arrangement of days in the modern version of the type of calendar most people have been using in this part of the world for a long, long time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I know the signage is new, but it might need some updating. This forum and others could have been a good place to bounce some signage ideas around before going final. Personally, I assumed the signage meant days of the week since unless you've just woken from a coma you'd probably know what day of the week it was. There is enough room on the current signage to indicate which days of the week are odd or even, I think, if there could be consensus on what are the odd or even days of the week. For the record, the series of tubes suggests that a week begins on Sundays which is supported by the arrangement of days in the modern version of the type of calendar most people have been using in this part of the world for a long, long time.
    I still can't figure out the logic to coming to the conclusion that odd/even equated to specific days of the week. You guys are making it so much harder than it is supposed to be. There is no need to come to a consensus as to what days of the week equal and odd or even day. Just look at the number. If it's odd, go one way, if even, go the other. No reason to try to explain or teach someone why a Sunday is an odd or even day.

I think it works better that way anyway. A lot of people and groups ride on a regular schedule, say Wednesday nights or Sunday afternoons, etc... If things were by the day of week rather than the number of the day, then you would be stuck riding that area the same direction every time. By keeping it with odd/even days by number, it alternates each week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed View Post
    Seriously? knowing the date is confusing as hell?
    I'm starting to think that there may be more reality to some of the stereotypes that mountainbikers get from others in the public.....

mtbr member
    Yeah, Ok, so if days of the month are used then your Wednesday ride group enjoys ride direction variation...and thats great, but I tend to think the confusion will persist. If its days of the week, then you will know eventually without having to think that Wednesday is Bowling Alley counter-clockwise for example. I am all for a final solution and I think part of that is to have the signage be a bit clearer because some will naturally think days of the month, and others will naturally think days of the week.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    and others will naturally think days of the week.
    How? Days aren't odd or even, that's absurd. It's not like it's clockwise on dates with a prime number.

mtbr member
    Sundays are odd because sometimes it rains but they still call it Sunday. And Wednesdays are definitely odd. I mean, why does the 'd' come before the 'n'?

Ologist
    I have never heard or an odd day of the week but Kenai Rider has cleared it up.

Thanks for the signs. I think it is a good move and works well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    always considered myself a pretty even rider.
    good thing i'm busy on Wendesdays

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast