Anchorage, AK

New Anchorage Loop

There is a new path under the Seward highway that connects the two halves of the Campbell Creek trail.

So, Saturday I took advantage of the new path to do a very nice 30 mile loop around Anchorage.

I started at West Chester lagoon, biked 9 miles to the Kincaid chalet, then headed East down Raspberry Road to Jewel Lake road.

On Jewel Lake road I went south to 88th. 88th doesn't have a bike trail, but was fairly low traffic on a Saturday morning and I felt pretty safe on it until I got to the Campbell Creek greenbelt.

The Campbell Creek green belt was the highlight of the ride and had a really nice urban wilderness feel to it in many parts. Eventually I started seeing signs for the Chester Creek trail, which I followed through the U-Med area and then back to West Chester Lagoon.

All-in-all a very nice and relaxing 2.5 hour ride on my fat tires. I would encourage everyone to give it a try.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    This is a great addition to our bike path and trail inventory. It is cool that Anchorage just keeps getting better, and better- it really is unusual when you consider the big picture.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    I did the exact same loop for 31 miles RT door to door Sunday. Starting at North Russian Jack, Chester, Coastal, Raspberry to Campbell, back to Chester and finish at Russian. So happy the construction is complete. My work commute is 95% trail, 5% road now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Have been riding that loop for years pushing my bike under the river ... good news to hear that the trail is done !

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ducking under the highway was my old commute before I moved to a different neighborhood a couple year ago. I was really adept at getting under the highway quickly. Glad it's finally open! I have used it for my lunch time dog jog back to my old neighborhood the last couple of days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Great loop made smoother. My wife and I call it the "Triple C" ride (Coastal, Campbell, Chester).

mtbr member
    Heading out for the "triple C" in an hour or so. I have never done this combo before. Thanks to all the trail advocates that made it happen.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    How do you get past lake otis? Is there a crossing there? Maybe I'm not understanding the route.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Wait for opening in traffic on Lake Otis, and cross the street. The official route is to go south to Waldron and cross through the tunnel.

When I used to lived a block from there, I used to duck under Lake Otis along or on the creek (when frozen) when on foot or skis, but it's really low and tight, and not reasonable for most people, especially with a bike. I would do it because I didn't want my dog to know it was OK to cross Lake Otis, and so I wouldn't have to take off my skis. In the winter, I used to make a trail through the woods between the soccer fields by Waldron Lake and the creek.

There is or has been a long term plan to have a trail crossing at Lake Otis, but some residents in the area are opposed because it might go through or near their yards. It's not going to happen in the near term.

mtbr member
    Bob- Lake Otis is a dangerous crossing unless you follow the instructions to go south a block to Waldron. On the west side the path continues at the dead end of the street on the north side of the creek.
    Lars- Saw you around Kincaid on Sat., I too was enjoying the new loop- I added a stop at Arctic Roadrunner to make it an official new favorite!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankM View Post
    Bob- Lake Otis is a dangerous crossing unless you follow the instructions to go south a block to Waldron. On the west side the path continues at the dead end of the street on the north side of the creek.
    Lars- Saw you around Kincaid on Sat., I too was enjoying the new loop- I added a stop at Arctic Roadrunner to make it an official new favorite!
    Agree, I was out there and reconning the new underpass on a dry run of my commute. There was group of joggers that decided to run across, but it's stupid and not worth it when there's lights and crosswalks nearby. Takes you a little out of your way, but it's that one time where you're trying to figure out if you should or not and then you slip and the guy coming is drunk or distracted and doesn't see you. Just not worth it.

Glad they got that done though, it allows me to get over from the Old Seward area (which is terrible) and then one long straight shot home.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Anchorage, AK

Re: New Anchorage Loop

If you add the Frosty Bottom loop in bi-Centennial park, it's a 40 mile loop--which I hereby dub: the "Quadruple C"--my long-ride for next weekend.

--Lars
    --Peace