ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

National Public Lands Day

Hi all,
    A short work day is planned for Brown Bear trail this Saturday for National Public Lands day. This is just to do some maintenance work and address any issue that may have come up during the trails first full season of use and to evaluate anything we may need to do to fix it up for next year.

I personally haven't been on it in a while do to not even really getting on my bike much in the last two months..so if anyone has any input on what they think could be improved or fixed let me know.

Show up and the Gasline cooridor woodchip pile at 8:30.. expect to be done by noon.

PM me if you have any questions..

Christopher

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Just to clarify..

Just to Clarify.. 'this Saturday' is September 30th. I haven't gotten a lot of response from the people I have let know about it and I know the weather isn't great.. does anyone plan on showing up just so I have an idea of numbers?

If you aren't going to show up to help us.. I encourage you to help out Wildfire Saturday or with one of the other projects going on throug Trail Watch or through the BLM Science Center during the same hours.

Christopher

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hey Christopher!

I'd be out on this tomorrow, but I've got to run a trail project over at BLM on the Lynx Trail...I've been on the trail a bunch this summer, including this month...I think what needs to happen most is armoring of tree roots, either for living trees, or for trees that would cause a major maintenance headache if they get blown over by the wind as a result of root damage from trail construction and use...esp. focus on the live trees...mostly birch...

What folks have done is an ineffective method of trying to bridge the roots (where they've done it all) which means there are a couple of half hearted attempts to throw down a plank perpendicular to the roots (the roots are usually perpendicular to the trail). Bridges don't work unless they go from hard point to hard point, and the attempts to date don't really have approaches and aren't anchored at either end, so folks are just riding or walking the roots, and they're getting torn up.

I know folks want the challenges of the roots, but they are a finite resource, and once they're gone, that challenge level will be diminished too...but I think by armoring with cobble rock (best choice, second best would be logs) a challenge can be built into the trail...

Back to the how-to...to armor, the rocks should be laid in paralleling the roots, basically in the space between the roots, and moreover, put in as if doing a 'stone-pitched' section like is seen on the IMBA website.

Stonepitching relies on a giant anchor-stone or key-stone at the down-hill side of the smaller pitched rocks...it's bulk is dug into the hillside, and it holds the smaller rocks in place against the gravity of bike tires pushing down the trail tread...(note that this anchor rock could be put in on both the uphill and downhill side of the trees out there, because the trail almost always climbs up and over the roots, regardless of travel direction)

Check out a small stone pitch job I did (with no tools, during a lunch hour ride) on the downhill side of the huge birch just below the Denali overlook/western most ramp (in maybe late June or early July). It was still in place when I rode the trail last week. The big keystone holds in the smaller cobble, which in turn protect the roots, and provide an approach for uphill riders...I didn't do one on the uphill side for lack of materials...need big honking rocks for the keystones (50 to 100#ers)...

I think there are two root sections with bridging attempts that need immediate attention: both birch, both on the downhill half, one with some funky B-line rotten stacked cordwood jump on the downhill side...has a plank with no approach that should be focused on, and then another a hundred and half linear feet down the trail that is also very funky...

Other stuff that might be easier could be some better tread/line definition on some of the quick down and then up sections, esp. in the lower half...most users, probably even including the speeders, probably can't make the too-tight turn radii...actually, if the tread were moved to where most people are going, it would probably make for an improvement...the grade raised a tad in these section; I think that a one-log retaining wall made of pole spruce, staked in with an outsloped fill would reply improve the yee-ha quality of some of the "too-deep" ups and downs and make for a more flowing ride...

There are a couple of spots that could use some 'nicks' to improve the sheet drainage; they're pretty obvious...all this rain will probably show you what needs to be done...

I'd like to come up with a detailed plan on improvements to be made on the trail so it's really finished out...I see it as being at about 80% of it's potential; I may actually get some time in my life before snow-fall to work on it...do you have suggestions for how to come to some consensus on what improvements could be done? Maybe via STA, as a learning and dialogue exercise, to bring folks into the fold more? Or just leave it up to the masses to do whatever they think? Anyway, good luck tomorrow--weather is improving right now!

Kevin K.

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Thanks EndoRando for showing up

I know it was last minute that I got out the notices so I didn't expect a large turnout. Thanks EndoRando for showing up and helping out with those few sections we worked on Brown Bear.

I would be curious to know if people can keep the line now after we modified that 'dip and turn' just slightly.

Christopher