Thread: MTB Races

mtbr member

New question here. MTB Races

Quick question:

I live in Seward and I was wondering if anyone knows about races that are relatively close to me (A.K.A Anchorage Soldotna Homer) It is hard for me to admit that Seward does not have a strong MTB community, so I must search for races in other places. Ideas? Much appreciated. Also it would be helpful if you could provide a list of good trails in these surrounding communities of Seward! Thanks again and happy riding.
    Last edited by AKnRDR; 09-08-2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Additional content
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    mtb race season is mostly over. You could check out the Arctic Bicycle Club website. They put on a summer race series. Arctic cross is going on now. Cyclocross that is. This winter look for the Abominable Snow Series for snow bike racing.
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    I recognize that but could you give a heads up for next season? Oh and thanks for the info on the Arctic Bicycle club will be sure to check that out.
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Arctic Bike Club MTB page.
    Arctic Bicycle Club Mountain Racing Division
    This year first race was 4th June, so I would guess a similar time next year. All races were on a Tuesday night.
    Would rather be out riding!

It's not just about a bike

mtbr member
    Howdy AKnRDR! We still have a couple of events planned in the Alyeska Bike Park. If you are at all curious about gravity bike events, come by Sept. 20-22 for our inaugural MTB Fest at Alyeska. We will are planning a chainless timed event, and along with a xc event. Also, giong to try out a pond crossing, tractor pull and a big air/whip contest. Entry will be included with a lift ticket purchase. The 3rd race of our Alyeska DH MTB Series will be on Sept. 28th. It is going to be a DH from the top of the Tram to the Sitz deck. Check out our Bike Park page on the Alyeska Web site Alaska Vacations, Restaurants & Accommodation | Alyeska Resort Cheers! Burntski
    Burntski

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I would echo what people have mentioned on here. I would say check Facebook also with Arctic Bike Club, Single track Advocates, Alaska Endurance(Soggy Bottom 100), Speedway Cycles, Back Country Cycles, Chain Reaction & Paramount Bike Shop. I would say just between all thoughts you could fill your race calendar.

mtbr member
    Thanks looks like I have got some research to do!
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by burntski View Post
    ......and along with a xc event....
    Hhmmmm, sounds fun!

mtbr member
    From what I have gathered from this thread is this following. There is alot of organizations in this state that conduct various forms of racing from XC to DH with no central place to let a "prospective" rider in on the know, unless your "in the know"

Case in point.......Guess there was an enduro race last weekend? Didn't find out till the day of. I have been riding Alyeska frequently and didnt know about a "MTB Fest" till I read this thread 30 seconds ago.

We could do a better job at getting the respective info out to riders somehow whether its XC, Fatbike, or DH/enduro.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nojoke View Post
    From what I have gathered from this thread is this following. There is alot of organizations in this state that conduct various forms of racing from XC to DH with no central place to let a "prospective" rider in on the know, unless your "in the know"

Case in point.......Guess there was an enduro race last weekend? Didn't find out till the day of. I have been riding Alyeska frequently and didnt know about a "MTB Fest" till I read this thread 30 seconds ago.

We could do a better job at getting the respective info out to riders somehow whether its XC, Fatbike, or DH/enduro.
    A great point however in order to do this someone would have to organize all of these private MTB organizations into one webpage or informative article so that a new rider or a rider that is not "in the loop" (Such as myself) could get all of the necessary information without looking very hard.... A daunting task.
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    In my experience I've found that the Mt. Bike Division of the Arctic Bike Club does a fantastic job of putting on XC races given their minimal budget and all-volunteer (I'm assuming) effort. The races that I've participated in (24 Hours of Kincaid and the State Championships) were all on great courses, well organized, and a lot of fun. Field sizes were pretty small compared to other places I've raced, but that is certainly not their fault. They advertise their races well in advance on their website, so there are no surprises. Unfortunately AKnRDR, most of the XC races that they host are on Tuesday nights in the summer, making it hard for people like you (coming from Seward) or me (coming from Homer) to participate. Personally I'd love to see them host more weekend events in the summer but it is a crowded schedule with road races, XC races, triathlons etc.

Fear not AKnRDR, you've landed in a great place for mt. biking. The locals are friendly and like to share their trails, and many of them are pretty bad ass bikers!! Give me a shout and let's go ride next time I'm over on that side of the peninsula.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by AKnRDR View Post
    A great point however in order to do this someone would have to organize all of these private MTB organizations into one webpage or informative article so that a new rider or a rider that is not "in the loop" (Such as myself) could get all of the necessary information without looking very hard.... A daunting task.
    Or you could just post it all on MTBR like they do in other states. In other states they tend to use these boards as a central place to bring together many groups, races, endurance events, RIDES, meetings, etc. Although we have all of these things going on up here, we lack any central place that distributes the information. A few facebook pages and web pages that don't cover each-other's events and all of the stuff going on don't help immensely.

Honestly I know exactly what these people are feeling. I've been up for more than a year and the dis-organized/fractured nature of these groups is kind of ridiculous. It seems they are more about exclusivity than trying to attract people or making information available. I think this is probably more on an individual level than a group level though, as no one probably cares to try and spread the information.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sounds great Seward's defiantly got some great trails. And Jayem I agree It is most likely on an individual level.
    -Thoreau

Elitest thrill junkie
    In any case, enduro race next Sunday at Alyeska at 10am. Fun, won some stuff last time.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hopefully no one is trying to be "exclusive" and we try to be as organized as possible. I think the normal road, mountain, cross and winter series are pretty well organized. The Arctic Bicycle Club oversees the road, mountain, cross and touring divisions in and around Anchorage. Their webpage has links to individual sites for each of these groups. I'm involved in the mtb division and spend a good amount of time setting, clearing and picking up courses in the summer. It can be tough on Tuesday nights for someone traveling to Anchorage, but the summers do fill up really fast with multiple forms of racing. We did hold a race or two on Thursday night and have the 24 hr race and State Champs on weekends. Sorry for the run-on paragraph. MTB info can be found on Facebook @ ABC Mountain Biking and @ alaskamtb.blogspot.com. The multiple sites are in use to try and get the word out to as many people as possible. We are always open to suggestions and summer volunteers. Thanks.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by TBerntson View Post
    Hopefully no one is trying to be "exclusive" and we try to be as organized as possible. I think the normal road, mountain, cross and winter series are pretty well organized. The Arctic Bicycle Club oversees the road, mountain, cross and touring divisions in and around Anchorage. Their webpage has links to individual sites for each of these groups. I'm involved in the mtb division and spend a good amount of time setting, clearing and picking up courses in the summer. It can be tough on Tuesday nights for someone traveling to Anchorage, but the summers do fill up really fast with multiple forms of racing. We did hold a race or two on Thursday night and have the 24 hr race and State Champs on weekends. Sorry for the run-on paragraph. MTB info can be found on Facebook @ ABC Mountain Biking and @ alaskamtb.blogspot.com. The multiple sites are in use to try and get the word out to as many people as possible. We are always open to suggestions and summer volunteers. Thanks.
    Great, didn't even know you had a FB page, much less a blog, until a few weeks ago. Wouldn't say you guys are very well advertised, maybe you are organized though. How is your rep with the shops? Are you organizing rides and races through them? Just races? Where else are you advertising? Maybe I haven't checked the archives enough, but how many of these have you posted here?

This board is a fraction of what the other's are, which is ironic given how numerous the riders and mountain bikers are here. So where is the central point for organizing stuff?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    ^sounds like you're volunteering

I imagine like you most folks are working and riding. I do agree that it would be nice to have a central location for information.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Great, didn't even know you had a FB page, much less a blog, until a few weeks ago. Wouldn't say you guys are very well advertised, maybe you are organized though. How is your rep with the shops? Are you organizing rides and races through them? Just races? Where else are you advertising? Maybe I haven't checked the archives enough, but how many of these have you posted here?

This board is a fraction of what the other's are, which is ironic given how numerous the riders and mountain bikers are here. So where is the central point for organizing stuff?
    Again, we work through the Arctic Bicycle Club. Unfortunately we don't have a huge budget for advertising and we work primarily with volunteers. Glad you were able to find the FB and Blog. You should be covered. It is the racing division, so we just put on mtb races. There are other entities that put on different races throughout the year. Our first race of the year is usually at the end of May or first week of June. The last race is usually toward the end of August. Most of the bike shops in Anchorage donate prizes for our State Champs series and support the races through word of mouth, posters, etc. Currently there are cyclo-cross races being held every weekend. Come on out and give it a try. Here is their link - ArcticCross

Elitest thrill junkie
    I don't have a cyclocross bike, or a road-bike, or a tri-bike, and I probably won't for a while, I did get a mountain bike that can span all genres of summer riding pretty well, if not necessarily the best any any one, and I got my fatty for winter, which I'm looking forward to. I was more interested in mountain bike events, not necessarily races either, although those are good too. If I get a 3rd bike, I think it will be something suited to racing off-road. I'm trying to figure out if there's more to these groups than just racing, but it seems difficult to tell. It's a process that takes a little while obviously.

Anyways, mountain bike race tomorrow at Alyeska!

mtbr member
    I still find myself comming back to this thread. Thank you for all of your input.
    -Thoreau