mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Mount Healy via Bison Gulch

Just wondering if anyone has hiked their bike up this trail and rode down? Looks like it could be a fun ride, although long hike up.

Outside in the Interior: An Adventure Guide for Central Alaska - Kyle Joly - Google Books

Bikes are good

Back in my day...

We rode/hiked our little crap bikes up mt. healy. We thought we were pretty awesome for doing it too. It turns out, nothing in that area is bike legal. Never heard of bison creek.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    We rode/hiked our little crap bikes up mt. healy. We thought we were pretty awesome for doing it too. It turns out, nothing in that area is bike legal. Never heard of bison creek.
    Did you go up the same trail/route as in the trail guide? Looks like it could be a great decent.

Bikes are good

I think so

A group of us in high school would drive up there and ride wherever we could, not knowing it wasn't legal too, and not caring. We went up the main trail near the campground, and it switchbacks up Mt. Healy. After a while you're out of the trees and the trail sort of goes straight to the summit then. I think you might catch a good deal of reprimands if you went these days. The tourists loved watching us ride down. The Park service on the other hand yelled, and we rode faster, and that was the last time we rode it. Too bad though because there is zero riding to do out there unless you are on the denali park road, and there are endless miles of rides you could do out there. That's the way it goes in this state though. Lots of land, too much resistance to trail building unless it is to rape the land for minerals.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    From what I have found out, it looks like we are talking about two different trails. I think that the trail you did is the Mount Healy Overlook Trail that starts in the park. The one we plan to ride starts right off the Parks Highway and hopefully has no parks rangers around. Either way, I will report back with a ride report. Thanks for the tips and heads up about trail access issues. I'll just remember to carry my Canadian ID and plead ignorance/beg for forgiveness if we are indeed in the wrong.

Bikes are good

Works every time

That is what I do in Canada, but only when my km/hour are too fast. Never saw a sign that said "No biking". I'm sure they are somewhere, right. Have a good trip. Post a picture.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Some pic from this weekends adventure.

Ologist
    Looks like great fun. A few years back someone was doing heli-biking near that trail if not on that trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    Looks like great fun. A few years back someone was doing heli-biking near that trail if not on that trail.
    I have heard the same thing, just not a specific location. My sources told me that the person doing the tours is named Carlos from Downhill Addictions and that he may still be doing tours in the Healy area.