Thread: More good...

mtbr member

More good...

...news!

Something I got in my in-box this AM from mark.gronewald@matsugov.us
    PM me and I can email the attachments...or just contact Mark.

Trail folk:
    Matanuska Susitna Borough Parks/Trails is applying for a Recreational Trails Program grant which would help finance an additional 1.2 miles of trails on a 200 acre parcel of MSB public recreation land located in the heart of the Matanuska Greenbelt near the Matanuska Lakes and Crevasse Moraine Trail Systems.

Over the last two summers, trail crews have constructed the 2.1 mile Bear Trail system just to the south of this proposed project. The new trails would also be built using sustainable best practices and would be similar in nature to the new Bear Trails (sinuous, undulating singletrack designed to emphasize the great views and glacially deposited terrain). The longest of the two proposed trails would turn the existing Picnic Table Single Track trail into a loop. The shorter of the two would bypass a steep fall-line section of the Long Lake Connector by following the next ridge to the east. Like the Bear Trails, designed use would be intermediate-level mountain bikers but the trails would also be open to hikers, runners, equestrians, and would be good for fat-tired biking, snowshoeing, and backcountry skiing in the winter. We’ve seen lots of smiling faces out there, but If you have not had a chance to check out the new Bear Trails, please do so and let us know what you think.

We are requesting public comment or letters of support to include with the grant application. Last year, we had many letters of support from the trail using public which were instrumental in getting our grant application approved and funded. Please take the time to write up a short note, letter, or email and send it to my address below (oh, and tell your friends). The grant application is due November 15 so please have them in by Tuesday, November 12 so they can be included in the grant application. Please see the attached public notice and a map of the approximate trail routing. Our trail crews are itching to build some more trails.

Thank you for your support of state-of-the-art trails in the Matanuska Susitna Borough! Please contact me if you have any questions about this project.

D. Mark Gronewald
    Trails Program Coordinator
    Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation
    Department of Community Development
    Matanuska-Susitna Borough

350 E. Dahlia Ave.
    Palmer AK 99654
    Phone: 907-745-2856
    Mobile: 907-354-1822
    Fax: 907-746-7427
    Email: mark.gronewald@matsugov.us

2 attachments — Download all attachments
    MatanuskaGreenbeltTrails_Proposed_2013_w_text.jpg MatanuskaGreenbeltTrails_Proposed_2013_w_text.jpg
    282K View Share Download
    Fox Trails public notice.pdf Fox Trails public notice.pdf
    60K View Download
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Awesome, I will definatly support this! Oh and I would not ride in that airplane!
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    I'm down. This is awesome. More trail can never be a bad thing, can it? How about winter trail grooming?