Caveman

The Mikesee mission?

Anyone have a pulse on what's up with Mikesee?
    I was thinking, if he's not entering a building how would he tell anyone progress?
    Anyone know if he brought a sat phone? doubt it.
    Kinda suprised there hasnt been something in the paper..
    pretty much under the radar.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Color

him gone, he is on his way. call me at home.

mtbr member

Last seen at the Knik bar

I dropped him at Knik on the night of the 28th, after some stress about his DHL package delivery - then we waited a couple of beers (me not him) in the Knik bar for somebody to produce the key for the cabin he stayed in before his big adventure - I wonder how many miles of pedaling it took to shake that Knik Bar Aroma.. anyway, he was stoked!

Hope that maybe somebody out there will spot him and update us.
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

MC snaux voyage

Mike told me that he was hoping to meet up with Bill some where on the trail during Bill's return leg with the snow machine. That trailer and bike is truly a superior piece of work !

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

word on the trail is

he went through Puntilla yesterday.
    He has little contact info cards that he hands to people along the trail asking them to email Lenore, his girlefriend, with updates on his location.
    Let ya know when I hear more, but it will likely be pretty spotty info.
    Pete

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    A little snip from ADN:
    http://www.adn.com/iditarod/race_200...-8585980c.html

"Wind chill temperatures were pushing down to 55 to 60 degrees below zero.
    Mike Curiak, a Colorado mountain biker trying to pedal to Nome, said he managed to fight his way to near the 3,200-foot summit, but found his way blocked by drifts and zero visibility.
    "I couldn't tell the difference between the Pass and the clouds,'' he said. "The wind was blowing snow 100 feet high.''
    Curiak is a well-established veteran of the Iditarod Trail. He has ridden to Nome a couple times and won the Iditarod Trail Invitational over this route. He is on the trail this year towing a trailer with all of his supplies in an effort to make an unresupplied run from Knik to Nome.
    The trip, he said, is a test to see if it is possible to go so far on a bike without being able to get food and fuel in villages. Speculation is that he's training for a possible ride across Antarctica or Greenland, where resupply is impossible.
    The Iditaord Trai is giving him all the test anyone could want.
    Turned back by the winds at Rainy Pass, Curiak said he tried dropping down and heading south to Ptarmigan Pass to see if he could get through that way. but that didn't work either."

Bill M

Big Smile

Sorry about not updating everyone on Mike! I am on the computor for the first time since I got back. I met him just before Fin Bear Lake on my way back. He was pretty stoked he managed to get his bike up off the Happy River without toooooo much trouble. He had a big smile and said he was having a great time "seeing" the trail for the first time. I am in contact with Rohn so I will post when I hear.
    Bill M