What Penguin???

Middle Fork Open by Special Use Permit

Chugach State Park has opened Middle Fork Trail to snow biking but you have to get a special use permit to do so. This year the process is simple: email csp@alaska.gov and give them your name, address and email address. They will send you a permit within 4 working days and you must affix the permit to your bicycle in plain view. Fat tire bikes only.

Please note that the permit is good for Dec. 1st through April 1st. Whether we are permitted next year depends on positive interactions with other trail users.

Attached is a map of Middle Fork and the clarification of where we can legally ride this winter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Middle Fork Open by Special Use Permit-bike-map.jpg  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Meanwhile, back at the hive....

Bikes are good

Sweet

Thanks JT. Dudes, get your permits so we can be popular with the slidey people. Also, be the sweetest dude or dudette you can be when passing and get off the trail for them. A little butt kissing, er, niceness will go a long way.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thank you for spreading the word! Permit applied for!

Jesus is coming Look busy
    May 2009

Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    Thanks JT. Dudes, get your permits so we can be popular with the slidey people. Also, be the sweetest dude or dudette you can be when passing and get off the trail for them. A little butt kissing, er, niceness will go a long way.
    As long as you are safe, the Permagrin should suffice! Slide on!
    I'm deteriorating faster than I can lower my standards

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Permit applied for.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Already got my permit, went for a ride yesterday, was great!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks QB and others who worked to make this possible.

Got my permit today by email; simple and painless!

I was rather surprised to see the Bird-Gird paved trail listed? Really? I need a permit? And a fatbike? And am I prohibited after 4/1/13 when my permit expires?
    Last edited by andysinak; 12-05-2012 at 12:02 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    andysinak-
    Those are the trails legally open year round. The Middlefork is not open in the summer. I think they are included on the permit for our education.
    (11 AAC 20.050. Bicycles) is State Regulation.
    I believe the bike path is closed due to avalanche potential this time of year. They work with DOT on that section.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tankchain View Post
    andysinak-
    Those are the trails legally open year round. The Middlefork is not open in the summer. I think they are included on the permit for our education.
    (11 AAC 20.050. Bicycles) is State Regulation.
    I believe the bike path is closed due to avalanche potential this time of year. They work with DOT on that section.
    It just looks funny the way the "Permit" lists where you can ride in CSP without a permit. The statement in the permit; "Biking is allowed...." makes it sound like the permit authorizes it. If it said "in addition to all the trails open to biking year round in CSP, this permit authorizes riding on the MFT" I wouldn't have commented.

Tailwinds,
    andy

What Penguin???
    We're stoked that Chugach State Park officials are trying very hard to work with the mountain bike community to improve access to the park! They are looking at changing regulation to open trails to winter fat tire bikes such as the MiddleFork Trail, Lost Cabin Trail, and the Eagle River Corridor. This would first have to go through the public process and comment period. After initiated the regulatory process can take 9 months to a year.

I wish they could wave a magic wand and get us official access now, but they have to work within their legal constraints. I'm pretty impressed that given how short staffed they are they are able to work with us on the matter. We're a priority and I like that!

BTW, don't thank me for getting the permit. You can thank STA board members Darcy Davis and Steve Ryan, plus Ben Ball the guy who started all this in the first place!
    Meanwhile, back at the hive....

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Got my permit in the electronic-mail today!!! Go Team!

mtbr member
    Got mine too. Can't wait to giver a go!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Terri and I both got them. Send CSP an email and get yours. Easiest permit ever!
    Singletrack Advocates Anchorage, Alaska
    Susitna 100 "Race Across Frozen Alaska"

mtbr member
    easy peasy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    nuthin like 5 minutes heading up FML to take the chill outta ya...

bikewrider.blogspot.com
    Jun 2011

Friends and Family

Got friends or family coming to visit for the holidays?

Have them get their Middle Fork permit before they come visit, then show them a good time while they're in Anchorage.

Out of state permit requests can only increase fatbike's visibility on CSP's radar.

I'm making sure my brother gets one before he visits in a few weeks.
    Last edited by Bike wRider; 12-08-2012 at 02:18 PM.