Diaskeuast

Mellow Solstice Ride

All this talk of Iditarod Trail Invitational this and Susitna 100 that is making me feel tired. It's time to celebrate the winter solstice with an event that even lazy slugs can handle (but we'll let you hard-body types join us).

Celebrate the darkest day of the year (and the six seconds of light we'll gain Friday) with a social ride on the Coastal Trail beginning at 7 p.m. Thursday by the Trailwatch Headquarters (the former police substation) at Westchester Lagoon. All bikes and bizarre lights are welcome. We'll ride south toward Kincaid Park, but probably won't actually get that far because we'll be stopping to eat chocolate and drink whatever we've slipped into our fanny packs and Camelbaks.

After an hour or so, we'll stop, look around, tell a couple of tasteless stories, then turn around and ride back.

We might plant some scouts in the woods to watch for anyone riding fast and pulling away from the group. Anyone caught speeding risks having to ride back to the lagoon without their pants.
    Last edited by Big Karma; 12-17-2006 at 01:42 PM.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

GIT-R-DONE!
    Count me in!
    Checking Out The Big Phenomenon

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thursday

I'll be there, anyone want a beer (s) after the ride ?

GIT-R-DONE!
    Quote Originally Posted by rio

Diaskeuast

Hmm ...

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    I'm thinking about this. Bike riders and beer ... hmm ... I wonder if they could be combined in some way.

It might be a bold move, but I think we should attempt it and see what happens.

Wood chips are stupid

Its been done

Quote Originally Posted by timwoody
    I'm thinking about this. Bike riders and beer ... hmm ... I wonder if they could be combined in some way.

It might be a bold move, but I think we should attempt it and see what happens.
    I heard a rumor about something like that being tried in the Mid West sometime in the eighties. I guess someone had to
    call the fire department or something like that,but thats all I know.
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Diaskeuast

Anchorage in da moonlight

This snowy stuff is supposed to wind down by morning, so the Solstice Ride is still on!

I'll try to confirm during the day tomorrow that the skate-ski track is being groomed so that those of us who ride old-fashioned mountain bikes can ride with the fatties. If anything changes, I'll post a message here.

Charge your batteries and fill your snack bags.

GIT-R-DONE!
    They are calling for another 4" today But who cares, we can groom it as we go along! Actually we will just let the fatty's go ahead first.

What Penguin???

Hope Still On?

Is the Moonstice Ride still on? Could be a long push! (My hubby who regularly bike commutes had to push for 2 hours to get home). We [I]could[I] just skip the ride and go straight for the beer!
    Meanwhile, back at the hive....

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Bee
    Is the Moonstice Ride still on?
    At this point, it's still on. I just spoke with Parks and Rec, who gave me a definite "maybe" on the question of whether the Coastal Trail will be groomed today. I'll post another update around mid-afternoon.

But yes, if conditions are bad, we could go straight to the beer. Or may snowshoe to it?

GIT-R-DONE!
    I will keep you posted as to when and if it gets groomed. I am on my down right now to check things out.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Deep - how deep - Phat Ph#king deeeep !

Manny just called in with a Coastal trail snaux report and he pushed more than anything else you can do with bike with that much snaux ....... so for tonight go as phat as you can and hope that the groomers make a pass before we do !
    a beer do run sounds really good !

Diaskeuast

I need a Fatbike!

I just spoke with Parks and Rec again. The report is that they "hope" to groom the Coastal Trail's skate-ski track ... tomorrow.

Looks like a good night for snowshoes instead of bikes. Who's up for a walk through the woods instead? Feel free to PM me and we can choose a place.

Maybe we can try a social ride again next week.