mtbr member
    May 2013

May in Anchorage?

Planning to visit my sister in Anchorage in mid-May. I think she'll be able to take time off the whole time I'm there, but if not and I felt like scoping out some riding in Alaska, would there be any good options/any rental shops to recommend? For what it's worth I live in the southeast now but grew up colder climes than Anchorage so I'm not concerned about temps, just conditions/trails being open. And I'm up for most types of riding except super gnarly downhill I guess??

And, if she does have any time off, does anyone have any recommendation for some somewhat tame trails in the area? She's definitely in better shape than I am, but I don't think she ever really does any serious mountain biking so I wouldn't want anything too crazy technical/rough if we go together.

Thanks!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Last year I did Gull Rock at the beginning of May (2nd or 3rd or something) and it was pretty good, I turn around if it's bad and I got pictures of the end of the trail, so it was ok. We will likely have an early season again if nothing else happens and it continues to dry out, but it depends on what happens. Good chance some stuff will be ok in mid-May.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

K_B
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Far North Bicentennial Park / Campbell Tract is a tame trail system that should be ok to ride come May.

BLM: Alaska Campbell Tract Recreation Opportunities