mtbr member
    May 2013

MATSU rider checking in...

Hey there fellow Alaskans. Just got out of the army and getting back into biking after 8 years away. I live off KGB, work at Sportsmans and in school at UAA.

I pick up the bike in my sig from the local shop in Wasilla tomorrow. I plan to ride trails with my family and cummute to work when the weather isn't too horrendous.
    2012 KHS Tempe 29er

Crazy Alaskan MTBer
    Hey! So there are other matsu riders! I'm in Wasilla too, work at Carrs, and am buying my first real good bike from them in a couple weeks.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by L.t. View Post
    Hey! So there are other matsu riders! I'm in Wasilla too, work at Carrs, and am buying my first real good bike from them in a couple weeks.
    Nice, we should trade trail secrets sometime. What bike are you getting?
    2012 KHS Tempe 29er

Crazy Alaskan MTBer
    I don't know any trails, I just started last summer, and i'm probably getting a KHS Alite 500, or maybe something used if I find a good deal. But probably the KHS.

mtbr member
    welcome.

Not much riding going on right now. Trails are still mush on account of our late spring, but on the plus side there are a slew of new trail projects scheduled for this summer so this fall there should be plenty of new terrain for riding.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Good to hear about the new trails. I bought a book from the LBS that has some local trails in it. It's hiking/biking but it shows which trails are open to MTBs.

I bought my son the Alite 150. It looks like a pretty good package for the money. It should serve him well.
    2012 KHS Tempe 29er

mtbr member
    I'll be moving up to the valley from Anchorage at the end of May. I'll be looking to tear up the Kepler trails as well as anything else I can get my fat tires on. I know parts of Gov Peak are open for biking, and it looks like are some chances to ride the MatSu river bottoms in some area. I'm also excited about the trail work being done up that way and want to get involved with that. Can't wait to get my wheels on some new trails.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'd be especially interested to know if there are any trails that can access lakes off the road system. I love fishing out of the way spots and I have a collapsible shakespeare Ultralight rod that I can throw in a day pack along with a small tackle box. That would be the ultimate day trip for me.
    2012 KHS Tempe 29er

mtbr member
    May 2013
    blockphi - The Kepler trails are in the book I bought. I have hiked all over there, geocaching with my wife and kids. It's a nice trail system, but tends to be pretty crowded in the summer. I haven't tried fishing any of those lakes yet - I may try that this summer.
    2012 KHS Tempe 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    blockphi - The Kepler trails are in the book I bought. I have hiked all over there, geocaching with my wife and kids. It's a nice trail system, but tends to be pretty crowded in the summer. I haven't tried fishing any of those lakes yet - I may try that this summer.
    Crowded???? Maybe on the weekends, around the campground areas. Otherwise I often have ridden there and not seen anyone for hours some days. Oh...ahem... I mean YES, it is very busy there, you should choose to ride somewhere else.

In some of those lakes fishing is prohibited so be sure to check first before throwing your line in. Keplar and Mat lake are stocked ( not exactly sure on some of the others), but most the stock is fished out by midsummer IMO. My wife caught a couple of nice rainbows out of Keplar a few years ago before they reopened the campground and the area became more accessible to people. Having a float tube or other such small watercraft is ideal since there is limited public access to many of those lakes.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by akpirate View Post
    Crowded???? Maybe on the weekends, around the campground areas. Otherwise I often have ridden there and not seen anyone for hours some days. Oh...ahem... I mean YES, it is very busy there, you should choose to ride somewhere else.

In some of those lakes fishing is prohibited so be sure to check first before throwing your line in. Keplar and Mat lake are stocked ( not exactly sure on some of the others), but most the stock is fished out by midsummer IMO. My wife caught a couple of nice rainbows out of Keplar a few years ago before they reopened the campground and the area became more accessible to people. Having a float tube or other such small watercraft is ideal since there is limited public access to many of those lakes.
    I guess we have differing views on the definition of the word "crowded". I prefer total seclusion. I do realize that's a dream that may not come true though. That's the reason I'm studying to become a pilot, and will buy a plane in a couple of years - that's the only way to get completely away from civilization these days.

Thanks for the tip on the fishing regs - I'll be sure to check them before I go.
    2012 KHS Tempe 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Plane, boat, dogsled.

Bikes are good
    Legs.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Yeah, well that sort of seclusion comes with a pretty hefty price tag, so I'll just settle for sharing the trail with an occasional dog walker or MTBer while I save up my money for the secluded aventures.

I was out on the Mat. River bed yesterday morning and the ground is clear of snow and the sandy areas are still firm with some frost for us non-fatbikers to ride. Best get out and ride the riverbed while the riding is good. Once it floods its gets pretty soft out there.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm out down by settlers bay, finally got a new bike and just trying to get some miles in to get my legs back under me. Most of my riding in the past was in the lower 48, looking forward to the coming season for sure

Crazy Alaskan MTBer
    LOL If you guys see a teenager wearing a flannel shirt riding a blue Schwinn riding around the Wasilla area, feel free to say hi! It'll be me.
    I'm searching C.list right now for a decent XC bike for trail riding and commuting. If you guys see any good deal for $500 or less, please let me know.

mtbr member
    May 2013

MATSU rider checking in...

I might have something for ya. I'll PM you when I get home...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    How's the trail riding in the valley? Dry enough yet?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 907ridin View Post
    I'm out down by settlers bay, finally got a new bike and just trying to get some miles in to get my legs back under me. Most of my riding in the past was in the lower 48, looking forward to the coming season for sure
    You're about 2 miles from me. If I ever get some free time between work and school, we should hit the trails.
    2012 KHS Tempe 29er

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wrcRS View Post
    Most places are, you just have to find your way around the puddles....er... lakes.
    2012 KHS Tempe 29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wrcRS View Post
    Folks have been checking this week, and the Matanuska Greenbelt area (Matanuska Lake Thd is south entrance, used to be Kepler-Bradley) is still too wet for bikes or people on single track. Ground is still frozen and not drained. Here's the report from the local bike shop Backcountry Bike and Ski
    https://www.facebook.com/Backcountry...85756244778207

The farm roads just above Matanuska Lake and Alphabet Field are probably ok in the open areas.
    Trail Maps - Matanuska Greenbelt

The Matanuska River floodplain below the bridge by Palmer is great - lots of dry space to bike or run. It's a lot of cobbles. Hot and sunny today.

mtbr member
    Reviving a dead thread to say hi. Settlers Bay Area for me but mostly ride the matsu green belt trails as I work in Palmer.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskamatt View Post
    Reviving a dead thread to say hi. Settlers Bay Area for me but mostly ride the matsu green belt trails as I work in Palmer.
    Welcome, we should ride sometime. I'm planning to head out and see how my bike will handle the snow packed trails soon. I don't have studs, and don't plan to get any, but I think it can handle just about anything but the ice we got on Friday. I'm only about 2-3 miles from you in the Inlet View community.

I work in Palmer too, at Artic's Air Academy. (flight school)

And..... My name is also Matt. Small world.
    2012 KHS Tempe 29er

mtbr member
    Smaller, I'm in inlet view too. Down off fiskari. And I'm a plane nut. If you drink beer too we may have a problem on our hands. :-)

mtbr member
    Ive been riding the trails in the snow. They were awesome before the ice, and now are fine but soft with new snow. A little more packing down and they will be good. Then again it's supposed to snow for the next few days.