Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Matsu green belt conditions?

Anyone ride since the freezing rain? I was riding the trails with a 29 sans studs last week without issue. Wondering if it's suicidal now?

mtbr member
    Answered my own question. I went out and tried it. Only made a couple of miles. Went in at the Mat Lake parking lot and headed out the long lake trail. It's been groomed but is soft. The first half mile was ok but then it got softer and stopped being fun. Ice isn't bad with the new snow bonding to it. Fat tire guys should have no issues at all.

mtbr member
    I punched through from the college to the farm fields and then on Picnic table to Long Lake connector and back. Not too bad in most places. There was some snow machine tracks coming into the farm fields that were crap riding. The rest was pretty great riding. I was riding fat. Good times.

mtbr member
    Yeah agree about the snow machine tracks. I went again today and it was better. I made it to the bottom of the hill before bearberry. About 4 miles today. Still a tough go on the 29er. I ate it twice and had to dismount a few times.

I'm torn about getting studs or just saving money for a fatty. I just don't see a fat tire happening soon enough. The agressive tread and studs have got to be better than the summer XC tread I'm running now.

FatBike Fiend
    A lot of the trails on the CrevMo end were rolled/packed today. Should be set up nice and firm by tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Thanks! Good to know

mtbr member
    You might be able to improve your performance by dropping your tire pressure a bit and/or by lacindg up a set of 29'er Snowcats, Uma's or Rabbitholes...but please remember that just like with muddy trails, the furrows you trench today will be trail features the rest of us have to endure...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    You might be able to improve your performance by dropping your tire pressure a bit and/or by lacindg up a set of 29'er Snowcats, Uma's or Rabbitholes...but please remember that just like with muddy trails, the furrows you trench today will be trail features the rest of us have to endure...
    I'm aware of that, however the foot traffic is pretty heavy on the long lake loop, and leaves quite a swath. It wipes out my traces as well. In fact it's the foot traffic that even makes it a hard enough bed for me to ride. I can't ride if it's actually soft anyway so I don't think you have much to worry about. I saw no signs of my ride yesterday on today's ride of the same trail. When the hard stuff ran out I turned around.

That said I could totally see how I could trench newly rolled or groomed surface on some of the maintained trails or any trail with new snow conditions.

mtbr member
    Having a set of studded knobby tires will get you a lot further than xc tires for sure.

I did regular commutes with studded tires during the winter through the GB when I was taking classes over at the college and some trails are not very bike friendly during the winter. conditions on certain trails vary a lot depending on the weather but Picnic table, the College Connector, and Mooseberry (mostly those trails that have have a lot of spruce trees covering the trail) were better rides than trails like Long lake loop.

After a good windstorm some of the roads out on the farm fields will open up and you can get some good rides in out there too. and the lakes, lets not forget riding on the lakes after the wind blows a lot of the snow off them.

A good set of 29 Nokian studded tires will set you back 150-ish? I would start there. 29r snowcats are gonna cut into your Fatbike money much more severely.

Also I wouldn't worry about trenching the trail too much outside of Crev-mo where they groom for skiing. by the time the snow gets deep enough to inconvenience anyone your not gonna want to be out there pushing your way through the stuff anyway.

FatBike Fiend
    Basic rule of thumb for the groomed trails in CrevMo is to try and stay off them until 2 to 3 hours after the groomer goes through or if you are leaving tracks more than an inch deep. If you are out there and the groomer goes by or the snow gets soft, try to stay to the side of the groomed lanes much as possible. The trails around the stadium , Swamp Loop, and Outer Loop were groomed yesterday and should be nicely set up and the rest will be groomed today so they'll be softer for a while. I do the grooming for MSB. Enjoy the trails.

mtbr member
    Went out on Thursday morning, starting at CrevMo and things were soft and generally not the best riding. The fresh snow we'd gotten on Wednesday contributed to that as well as some mechanical issues on the bike.

Mooseberry Mesa had some foot traffic on it, and was overall some decent riding, though I did have to hike-a-bike on the uphill portions - again, due to the combo of unbonded snow and mechanical issues.

I hope to get back out there later this afternoon or tomorrow morning to see if the cold blast has helped to firm things up. I'll probably go in rom the college this time and will head along the landfill trail to Mooseberry mesa.

If anyone's interested in joining PM me or just post here and we can work something out.

mtbr member
    Let me know what you find. I've stayed off them since the snow but like you was thinking the cold would have them hardened up. Hope it's not sub zero tomorrow. Two days no ride, getting anxious.

mtbr member
    I ended up going in at the lake and it was excellent riding! Lot's of traffic had packed the trails down nicely. I rode Bearberry to the Long Lake connector and then turned around and rode it back to the parking lot for about a 7 mile ride. Really great conditions. Good times. The Long Lake connector was still puffy and unconsolidated heading southwards, but had a good track beaten down by cyclists going north, though I didn't follow that to see how far or where it went.

mtbr member
    Awesome. I didn't make it out today. Hope to get out before the weather changes, but I'm on driver duty for my kids ski team this week.... I get to ski though!

mtbr member
    Went out for a ride yesterday afternoon. Started at the college, cut to the farm fields and onto Picnic Table and then over to Mooseberry Mesa.

The college to the farm fields was good riding. Well packed and fast - not too icy at the time. Picnic Table was fair riding. Skiers had packed it in a bit, though it was still punchy and loose in spots. The connector to Mooseberry was overall good riding - lots of traffic, but little evidence of bike. The first part of Mooseberry was untracked since my last jaunt there last Thursday. The downhills were fine, but there was a lot of hike a bike on the ups. About halfway through the loop other tracks showed up, foot and ski traffic, though. No bike. Still hard riding with lots of hiking. The top of the ridge was windblown and drifted in, making it impossible to ride in spots.

As I headed to CrevMo, the rain picked up and things got dangerously slick. Ended up catching a lift home after I got up to the MUP next to the PalmerSilla - that riding wasn't too bad with the overthrow from the gravel trucks, but the wife was out and about anyway and I was soaked to the bone so I took the easy way out.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the updates. Conditions sound typical given the weather. Enjoy the hard pack while it is still there. Once we get another snowfall it will take some time to get the trails beat back down again.

mtbr member
    Yesterday mat lake and long lake loop were good but starting to get soft from thaw. Studs were absolutely required. Pretty narrow track kept me on my toes. Can't say I've ever riden in the rain on the snow before. Was a pretty nice ride. If it cools off it's going to be nice hard pack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskamatt View Post
    Yesterday mat lake and long lake loop were good but starting to get soft from thaw. Studs were absolutely required. Pretty narrow track kept me on my toes. Can't say I've ever riden in the rain on the snow before. Was a pretty nice ride. If it cools off it's going to be nice hard pack.
    C'mon, not absolutely required... I hit it up at 3 PM and was kinda able to ride. Most of it. Without killing myself.

Actually, I was wishing for studs when I was out there. Had the Nate's down as low as I could get them and still slid a lot. Ended up cutting the ride short a bit. Picnic table was decent riding, as was the college connector.

mtbr member
    Ok not totally required if you have a death wish! haha.

Tried Bear Berry yesterday. Was able to ride it ok, but then the way out was hike a bike for about a mile until I hit the long lake loop again.

Santa I really need a fat bike.

FatBike Fiend
    I'll be grooming Crevasse tomorrow. I'll try to texturize the ice and erase the death cookies. Wish me luck. Matanuska River Park was groomed today and turned out pretty decent.

mtbr member

Matsu green belt conditions?

Great trails today! Thanks for the grooming. It's coming down now so I guess I'm road bound for a bit. Calling for 6" in the next couple of days.

FatBike Fiend
    You're welcome. I was worried the wind would glaze it over like everywhere else around here. We could use a little more snow, it's still pretty skinny cover out there. Next grooming will be on Monday or Tuesday, most likely.

FatBike Fiend
    Rode (FatBikes) the CrevMo trails Saturday. One inch of new snow over a firm base. Excellent riding. Watch out for hidden ice between the parking lot and stadium and on hill sections that faced the recent NE winds. Speaking of which, there's a couple trees across the trail. Other than that, great traction. 2" of new snow snow this morning, should still be good.

mtbr member
    Hoping to get out there this afternoon - probably head out from the lakes and then over to the college. Love me some fresh pow...

mtbr member
    Went in at the farm and cut over to the Lakes - was rough riding until the field right above the lake, and then was quite nice. The single track was good for the most part. Bearberry was firm, but skinny - as soon as you popped off the packed area it was punchy and soft - But fun riding in general. The Long Lake trail from Bearberry to Picnic table was generally meh. Picnic Table was okay, but coming out into the field to the west brought a nice bit of hike a bike. The powerline trail was firm and fast from the work vehicles that were out there last weekend. The college connector was good riding all around and the MUP along trunk wasn't too bad - though if you use the underpass be aware that there is some nasty glare ice under the snow - I went down doing about 10mph.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast