mtbr member

Matanuska River Park, Palmer

Ive been going through the park on showshoes the last few days since last weekends snow storm breaking in some trails and taking out some low hanging branches that were impeding progress.

The tracks starts adjacent to Sherrod Elementary at the end of W Eagle St and flows downhill around the ball fields and connects with the groomed xc tracks behind the playground, then loops through the north end of the park and reconnects with the rest of the xc trails that go through the campground. I guessing from start to end about a 1.25-1.5 mile track

The trail was still soft as of yesterday morning when I tried it on the bike. I bailed out before riding past the freshly groomed xc, but to be fair it hadn't had much time to set up before I tried to ride it. The groomers had just been through that morning (thursday) so the groomed stuff was equally as soft.

Also be on the watch for moose. there was a cow hanging out in the south end of the park earlier in the week.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Love that rouge winter singletrack. So many options open up once it snows/freezes over!!! Keep up the good work!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Rode this today. Thanks for the trail breaking. Trails were hard and fun.

mtbr member
    No problem!

At this point IDK how much credit I can take. lots of us dogwalker/ bikers/ skiers/ snowshoers go through the park daily and keep the trail beat down.

Tomorrow most likely I'll be back at it with the 'shoes ( and the dog ) tamping out a track with the fresh snow we got last night.

Also someone took their snowmachine and laid down a track up and down the RR trail from the skatepark/ NAPA out to the first slide area last week so for all you Palmerites looking for a quick fix that trail has been compacted down fairly well now minus the fresh powder.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The river trail was pretty tough yesterday. Interior trails were real fun, and we connected all the way to the glenn across the soccer fields and through the 19 acre parcel between academy charter and the school district.

Definitely going to be pretty nasty the rest of the week. Great to hear everyone riding at Mat River Park!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

I rode the trails tonight. They were great. Then again I think I'm learning how to ride the fatty. Snowing hard at times but lots of fun. Even rode one section that was only boot pack wide. Managed to stay upright and only dabbed twice. I know the weathers going to pot but plan to hit it tomorrow anyway.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the outer loop along the river bank sucks except for that short section on the northeast side. Too steep of slopes otherwise to be considered rideable IMO.

Saw were you guys cut through the MSB parcel along the fence, if you had continued to the trailhead to the left would have been a snowmachine track that cuts through the middle of that lot. Might have been a little easier for you, but probably not by much.

When you enter through the main gate just to the right about 20-25 yards I have a trail that will take you along the powerline, across the pond and to the Pavilion. I haven't seen much use of it by other users so it is not as firm as some of the other trails in the system, but once you reach the Pavilion it connects with some other tracks that do see more traffic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

I tried that snowmachine track for a few feet it was SOFT today and a no go. I had figured that was the track they were referring to but saw no tracks and like I said it hadn't setup yet. I had to walk at the pavilion as it was wind drifted and deep.

The trail along the river? Is that the one that runs up on the bluff with a nice exposed 20ft drop to the river? I rode it today. Bit of a pucker factor in some spots. It was ok riding wise but had a couple of down trees and was getting increasingly hard to ride the further up river I went. Down river towards the road I cannot ride even in summer. Some of those short climbs always have me flying the front tire, no way on the fat bike in snow. Not me anyway.

The inner trails were still awesome and the one that runs by the amphitheater/fire pit just below the park was actually fast. The groomed ski trails are/were softer today. Rideable but not fun. They were better yesterday.

On a happy note I rode a real skinny 100 yard section only tire wide as the drifts had filled it in, and was pretty stoked to make it all the way on the bike. Ok I might have dabbed once but no dismount.

I also got to do the graceful dismount when I stopped one time to look at an intersection put a foot out and it just kept going. Apparently it was way deeper off trail than I knew. I wound up below the bike down deep in the snow. Had a good laugh at myself.

mtbr member
    Yeah those snowmachine tracks were pretty fresh and I guessing a mountain sled judging by the deep paddle marks so its not likely to set up as quick as they would with a less aggressive track. Crossing the field by the pavilion my foot prints were wiped out within 20 minutes with the light snow and slight wind earlier today.

The trail along the river bank on the north end of the park can be rather harrowing sometimes even in the best conditions. Just one peddle strike away from being tossed overboard in some spots. I will only ride that trail now when Im really feeling up on my game. While I dont think the fall is gonna kill me. I don't think I could stomach losing my bike in the river. It would be cool to see some structures built along the down river portion of the park to bridge a couple of those gaps in the terrain.

Lol nice fall. I was just admiring the snow accumulation on top of some of the picnic tables today in the campground area. Must be getting close to 18" or better out in the open areas.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Rode it today. Surprisingly good. Icy in places but very rideable. Also the river bar is totally snow free and fun to poke around on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Went for a ride this morning at Mat river park. The trails through the woods are in fun shape!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Believe it or not this is still good riding. Some nasty ice spots. I nearly ate it today but still fun. Very little mud and the river bars are snow free and fun too.