Thread: Matanuska river

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Matanuska river

Went for a nice ride along the Mat river today. Rode from my house in Palmer to the bridge on the old glenn hwy,dropped onto the river and rode as far as we wanted to! Nice mellow afternoon ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matanuska river-img_0401.jpg  

Matanuska river-img_0402.jpg  

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Nice, how many miles of gravel bar do you think are rideable?

mtbr member
    Defiantly a nice ride-able area.

Its a bit of a slog with standard tires most of the year with the loose sand and river rock, but can't beat the views. Ive rode around to the wooded areas out in the middle once or twice. You learn real quick how to spot the soft terrain and steer around it.

There are ATV trails further down that enter/ exit the riverbed by Springer Loop and it is feasible to ride nearly all the way down to the Glenn hyw, though I haven't tried it yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    This time of year you could ride to your hearts content! I am with akpirate I want to ride from the bridge on the old glenn to the hwy. We road for probably 1.5 hrs and were starting to run out of light so we turned around and headed home for some Boddingtons

SHF
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    cool, I'm gonna have to check that area out next time we are up on vacation, loved the rides we took this summer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Check out plumbley/maude trail

If you're looking to avoid wind park at the end of maude rd and drop down the plumbley/maude trail out to the knik. There's a good crossing now over Jim creek although the creek itself isn't set up firm enough as a whole.
    Danzante

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Blowing 50 on Finger Lake. Opted for big counter clockwise circle from Maude. Kind of crusty, and Jim Creek is very sketchy. On studs, but would opt for fat tires due to crust. A number of folks have been skate skiing and it looks decent for that as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Forgot to mention almost no wind at Jim Ck.