mtbr member

Lost Lake trail conditions

Anybody tried Lost Lake in the past couple of weeks to see if the snow has cleared? I'd like to bag it, finally, this weekend.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Check the usfs Seward district trail conditions.

mtbr member
    The forest service stopped providing regular trail updates for the season July 2. Go figure. I'll post an update myself if we end up there tomorrow.

ChuckyMTBR
    Jan 2012
    Rode the trail 3 out of the last four days and it was in perfect shape to the lake from the south side. However the rain has moved in today so it will be a tad soggy but on the bright side it dries out pretty quick. If you are looking to ride it end to end be prepared to encounter several short but annoying snow patches along the lake.

Lastly one other update for those looking to come and ride in Seward the Iditarod trail from Primrose to Mile 12 is flawless and very fun.

mtbr member
    The trail is as it was reported, and soggy. Thanks for the info.

Jesus is coming Look busy
    May 2009

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuckdimarzio View Post
    Rode the trail 3 out of the last four days and it was in perfect shape to the lake from the south side. However the rain has moved in today so it will be a tad soggy but on the bright side it dries out pretty quick. If you are looking to ride it end to end be prepared to encounter several short but annoying snow patches along the lake.

Lastly one other update for those looking to come and ride in Seward the Iditarod trail from Primrose to Mile 12 is flawless and very fun.
    Thanks Chuckster... If the rain subsides this week. Probably head down there Friday to check it out........

May 2009
    Rode Lost Lake yesterday with a couple of guys. Did the Loop. Excellent conditions! 2 small snow patches along the top section. One snow patch at the foot bridge over the lost lake creek. Buff and dry! Go get it with this weather window....

Bikes are good

Jungle factor?

How was that?
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

May 2009

Jungle Boggy!

Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    How was that?
    Not bad.. Better than I expected....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Re: Lost Lake Loop - which direction is best on the Iditarod trail portions?

North-to-south: Primrose->Meridian Lake->Grayling Lake->Divide->Mile 12->Bear Lake?

Or south->north?

Or good either way?

Thanks!

PS: trail maps recenctly obtained from the USFS...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lost Lake trail conditions-iditarod-trail-bear-lake-section.jpg  

Lost Lake trail conditions-iditarod-trail-meridian-lake-section.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I prefer the Iditarod sections going north and Lost Lake/Primrose going north. Not by much though. Either way is awesome. I think you end up with more bank for your buck descent-wise going counterclockwise because of some steep sections, especially the climbing going north from Bear Lake.

ChuckyMTBR
    Jan 2012
    Lost lake goin north is the best but only cause there tends to be less traffic on the Primrose side so you can really let it rip. The section on the Iditarod Trail that includes the Grayling/Meridian Trail is definitely better south to north as the descent from Long Lake to Primrose is fantastic. The Bear Lake portion of the Iditarod Trail honestly is not that great or fun either way you take it but it does enable you to loop the whole thing together.

PS the sun is out now

Bikes are good

Lost lake today

Rode from Primrose to Seward and back to Primrose today. That trail is so great. Best in southcentral for sure. A lot of work was done on the mud holes on the primrose side so despite the rain, very few puddles even down on that end. Awesome day.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the info on loop ride direction preferences - appreciated!

May 2009

Good for You

Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    Rode from Primrose to Seward and back to Primrose today. That trail is so great. Best in southcentral for sure. A lot of work was done on the mud holes on the primrose side so despite the rain, very few puddles even down on that end. Awesome day.
    I couldn't agree more. Great ride.. My personal favorite. Any direction....