GIT-R-DONE!

Looking For A Welder

Looking for someone, that can weld a post onto my stationary bike for me. Will pay to get the job done. I just donít know of anyone or anywhere that will do it.

Thanks
    Checking Out The Big Phenomenon

old format's better
    Jan 2004

Whatcha tryin to do exzackly?

Quote Originally Posted by aka bubba
    Looking for someone, that can weld a post onto my stationary bike for me. Will pay to get the job done. I just donít know of anyone or anywhere that will do it.

Thanks
    And out of what material?

Ken
    No matter where you go, there you are.

GIT-R-DONE!
    Ken I am trying to get rid of the stock saddle that it came with and replace it with a saddle that has rails. The only problem is that the stock saddle that it came with is bolted on to a large steel plate on top of the seat post in 4 places.

I thought that perhaps I could just get rid of the steel plate and some how get something with rails welded on. I donít even know if this is possible, but I would sure like to give it a try.

old format's better
    Jan 2004

Okay......

Quote Originally Posted by aka bubba
    Ken I am trying to get rid of the stock saddle that it came with and replace it with a saddle that has rails. The only problem is that the stock saddle that it came with is bolted on to a large steel plate on top of the seat post in 4 places.

I thought that perhaps I could just get rid of the steel plate and some how get something with rails welded on. I don’t even know if this is possible, but I would sure like to give it a try.
    What you might be trying to achieve could be accomplished by installing a regular seatpost and clamp but they're usually aluminum and not compatible with welding to your steel plate.

Is the plate welded onto a pipe that maybe a regular seatpost could be slid inside of or over the outside of? Or if the plate is welded onto square tube perhaps a conventional seatpost could be slid inside and pinned?

Or if the plate is welded onto a pipe, maybe just a rail clamp off of an old seatpost could be inserted into the steel pipe and epoxied.......I dunno, just thinkin out loud here.

Ken

ps: I know Tscheezy has done a little welding.........

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Ken
    I know Tscheezy has done a little welding.........
    I only weld on Winnabegos. I gots standards to uphold and all.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 10-22-2006 at 08:24 PM.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

old format's better
    Jan 2004

Yeah, but maybe.........

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I only weld on Winnabegos. I gots standards to uphold and all.
    .........how bout welding on the stationary bike INSIDE a Winnebago? That would be right up your alley, right?

Ken

mtbr member

welder on the way to Hatchers Pass

On the way up the pass at one of the last residential driveways on the right is a sign for welding with a phone number. Sorry I don't have the number now...I'm headed that way later, I could get it. Anyway, Ned is his name and he did a little project for me last winter. Real nice guy and seemed to have fun with the little rinky-dink project I had for him. I'll post the number later. Good luck.

GIT-R-DONE!
    .........how bout welding on the stationary bike INSIDE a Winnebago? That would be right up your alley, right?

Ken
    Only if it was a "Turner" and it was powering the Winnebago.

I looked at all your recommendations Ken. And the only way I can see it being done is to weld one of those old school seat clamps on to the plate some how.

What do you say tscheezy ?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaRed
    I'll post the number later. Good luck.
    Thanks that would be great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ya to elimate the aluminum to steel weld you should just take like the last 4 inches of an old steel seat tube and weld it on then you still have a little adjustability in hight and stuff.

old format's better
    Jan 2004
    Little bit of an inside joke here....the background is I do some welding, but I live near Cantwell so it's not very handy for you to bring your project to me.

I'm also about to leave for Moab (where I have another homesteader kinda project going on) and Mr. Tscheezy stopped by there a couple years ago with a busted step on his rental Winnebago. He held the pieces for me while I did a couple little tacks and he did a great job.

Unfortunately, he was wearing sandals and no socks and discovered the meaning of the term 'welding spatter' and had the scabs to prove it.

Yeah, if you can find a steel seatpost with a saddle clamp that will work that's your best option. The welding will ruin whatever chrome and/or powder coat surfaces you have now, but small price to pay, yes?

good luck!

Ken

mtbr member

welder on the way to Hatchers Pass

841-1147 is the number. I think it's his home number, so don't be surprised if a youngster answers the phone. Ned is his name. Again, good luck.

GIT-R-DONE!
    He held the pieces for me while I did a couple little tacks and he did a great job.
    Ahh that explains it. Good Job "tscheezy" I can send this stuff down to you in Kodiak so you can attempt to hone up on your welding skills if you like!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaRed
    841-1147 is the number. I think it's his home number, so don't be surprised if a youngster answers the phone. Ned is his name. Again, good luck.
    Thanks Red I will get all my stuff together and give him a call.