I'm from Utah

Looking for a sports doc

I was hoping people on this forum might be able to recommed a good sports medicine doctor in Anchorage. I'm skeptical of my current doctor in Juneau, but he's pretty much the only show in town. I'm going to be in Anchorage in mid-April, so if you know of a doc who you've been pretty happy with or who has dealt with mountain-biking-specific injuries, maybe you could send along his/her contact info. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jill

Caveman
    Jill,
    You're not alone with knee problems & frusterations.
    Check your PM's

Diaskeuast

Afoc

Anchorage Fracture & Orthopedic Clinic has a number of good docs specializing in various areas. Thomas Vasileff does a lot of knee work with skiers and other athletes, and he did surgery on my knee about five years ago.

Of course, I'd get in trouble with Queen Bee if I didn't mention Steve Tower, another good doc with AFOC, not to mention he's a cyclist as well. I'm not sure how much Steve does with knees, though.

My wife is a hospital RN who sent me to AFOC when I had knee trouble. She consistently sees good results in their patients.

Check 'em out at http://www.afoc.com/physicians.html
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Bill M

Doc Tower

I think Steve Tower might be doing mostly reconstruction/replacement these days but if he will check you I would highly recommend him. He treated me with a prescription for more biking instead of surgery suggested by others years ago and I have had no issues since. Not all injuries are that easy to treat but he is a cyclist and understands how we think and play! I have found that to be important in a "sports doc" for me.
    Bill M

Mr.Secret
    Steve's( Tower ) pretty much orthopedic, bones, but also a very good source for reccommendations. All around good guy too !

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Sports Dr. or Orthopedist?

Do you know the difference between a sports doctor and an orthopedist? About 50 bucks a visit more to see a sports doctor. That's what I've heard numerous times from medical professionals. t

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Jill,

I just saw Dr. Vasileff today at the Anchorage Fracture & Orthopedic Clinic here in town. I suspect for the same injury you are suffering from, a torn meniscus. Thanks to the good support staff in his clinic, I got everything done in one visit and will getting the results next week. I've seen him before for my other knee that needs joint replacement and have had his diagnosis varified by the top sports clinic in Seattle. Dr. Vasileff has a long history here and has treated many semi-pro sports folks, including skiers and mtb riders. I'd recommend him to you. The clinic he's at has all the x-ray and MRI gear inhouse to quickly diagnose problems.

I know he's going to be out of the office for about 2 weeks starting mid-week next week.

Both Dr. Tower and Dr. Nolan are also excellent. Ditto what timwoody and BillM have said. I think that whole office are about as good as they come.

Good luck.
    --
    Curt Harris
    Anchorage, AK
    charris@alaska.net

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

Hey Jill

My wife is a surgery coordinator for Orthopedic Physicians Anchorage. They do a lot of sports-related injuried (they are docs for Alaska Aces.)

Here's the website: http://www.opanchorage.com/. Their contact info is there. If you want to call, just ask for Renee and she'll see what she can do to help you out. I told her I'd be giving you the number so just let her know it's you.

Good luck with whatever is ailing you!

I'm from Utah
    Thank you to everyone for the suggestions. I have a lot to look into now, lots of good recommendations. I don't even know where to start! But I do appreciate the help.

Thanks again.

Jill