mtbr member

Lookin' for ride info

So it turns out I'm taking an AK cruise this June. We've got time in Juneau, Sitka, and possibly Ketchikan during which I might be able to go for a ride (I'll probably be bringing my bike along since we're gonna do a WA/OR road trip afterwards). I looked up the trail reviews and found a couple in Juneau (though from several years ago and not terribly details) but none in the other places. Anyone know of places to ride in any of these spots and/or shops (probably only in Juneau, I'd guess) that might point me in the right direction?

Free CO trail advice offerred in trade ;-D

Thanks

Scott
    Last edited by Feldybikes; 03-13-2007 at 09:24 AM. Reason: looking for easiest way to change subscription options

Diaskeuast

Sitka

Call the guys at Yellow Jersey: http://www.yellowjerseycycles.com

Sitka's trail system is extremely limited, but those guys have the full scoop on forest roads, etc., that are worth riding. If you just need to stretch your legs and don't mind a little pavement, ride out Halibut Point Road to Starrigavan Valley. You'll be on the coast the whole way, so the scenery is wonderful. At the end of the road, there's a trail or two where mountain bikes are allowed.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

I'm from Utah
    Hmmm ... I'm guessing you're going to be disappointed by trails in Juneau.

They're short and 95 percent of the time restrictively muddy, but there are a few.
    Perserverance trail is a quick jump from the cruise docks, 7 miles round trip, mildly technical. Dredge Lake is a much better trail system ... glacial morraine singletrack that ranges from gravel to waist-deep swamps. Lots of fun. There's also other good trail loops near there, in the Mendenhall Valley. But it's about 15 miles from downtown.

The road riding's not bad. Most people who have been to Juneau will tell you otherwise, but I disagree. There are a lot of scenic coastal rides. If you're in Juneau, drop me a line. I work evenings and ride during the day, so I could be a cycling tour guide. jillhomer66@hotmail.com.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info so far! And thanks for the offer, Jilleo, depending upon how things work out I'll contact you as the dates get closer. Local knowledge is always where it's at when you've got a limited time to explore.

I wasn't hoping to find stupendous trails anywhere, just figured I'd already have my bike for the following week and anything I could find would be a bonus.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Ketchikan

I once lived in Ketchikan many years ago, but I don't think things have changed too much.

I suspect the best road trip would be out to the end of the North Tongass highway, about 15 miles one way from town center. Along the way you could check out the Ward Lake Recreation area, which has several rideable trails, the Whipple Creek area, the Kauffman and Knutson Cove areas and several other interesting side roads that lead to either beaches along Behm Canal or prominent overlooks. There might even be a trail now from the end of the road to Loring, which is a very interesting little place that was the site of a saltery in the early 1900s, but is now (or was) mostly get-a-way vacation cabins.

The highway also goes south of town, but it's not as interesting. If you have the time it's still worth it though.

Ketchikan is the PITS for getting around in a car and I believe using your bike to get around, especially in the down town area, will be much quicker. Ride the tram, check out their excellent local museum and stop by the areas were local native history is on display, especially the Totem Park lodge house areas.

The hike up Deer Mtn. is also an outstanding activity, if the weather is nice. Speaking of weather, Ketchikan is known for it's rain. Be sure to have rain gear available.

Depending on how long you'll be in the Ketchikan area, if you can get over to Prince of Wales Island you will find HUNDREDS of miles of old logging roads to ride. The best way to get there would be the "Blue Canoe" ferry that goes over to Hollis. From there you can get to Craig, Klawock, Hydaburg and Thorne bay.

Southeast Alaska along the inside passage is just about the prettiest part of all Alaska, WHEN THE WEATHER IS NICE!

Enjoy your trip.

This link might help your planning: http://www.alaskajourney.com/southeast/ketchikan.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by charris
    Depending on how long you'll be in the Ketchikan area, if you can get over to Prince of Wales Island you will find HUNDREDS of miles of old logging roads to ride. The best way to get there would be the "Blue Canoe" ferry that goes over to Hollis. From there you can get to Craig, Klawock, Hydaburg and Thorne bay.
    Sorry if I steal this thread, but I found it while trying to find some info on Prince of Wales island. I will be living there this summer, and am desperate to find some info on trails and riding spots. I don't have a problem with riding logging roads, but some real trails or something with a view would be pretty cool. I will likely be staying in Craig or Klawock, possibly Coffman Cove. Thanks, Mike

Diaskeuast

POW info

Quote Originally Posted by ilikebeer
    Sorry if I steal this thread, but I found it while trying to find some info on Prince of Wales island.
    There's a little place in Craig called JT Brown's General Store. It's actually a Trek dealer (or at least it used to be) and I managed to buy a new tire there when I tore a sidewall while touring the island about four years ago. I recommend calling them for information, because they're the closest thing to a bike shop you'll find on Prince of Wales.

Up around Coffman Cove, things are going to get sketchy. There's a bait shop there called The Riggin' Shack, and it's pretty much the nexus of information for the community. I wouldn't count on them knowing much about trails, but you could ask. I've heard there's a guy in town who does some riding, so you might ask if anyone knows who he is.

You should find plenty of forest roads -- they've been logging the hell out of POW for a long time -- but good singletrack might be hard to find.

One day, my partner and I ran into an old logger up by Coffman Cove who was encouraging us to check out a nearby trail, but he said we'd never be able to ride it. I have no idea if he knew what kind of terrain mountain bikes can handle, but I loved his glowing description of the scenery at the end of the trail: "It's God's country up there. We logged it all years ago."

Enjoy the island, and be ready for black bears. They're all over the place.

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by charris
    The best way to get there would be the "Blue Canoe" ferry that goes over to Hollis. From there you can get to Craig, Klawock, Hydaburg and Thorne bay.
    The Blue Canoe is the Alaska Marine Highway System. The ferry that runs from Ketchikan to Hollis is operated by the Inter-Island Ferry Authority (http://www.interislandferry.com/) and they run a nice boat called the M/V Prince of Wales to Hollis daily in the summer.

They allow bikes to be transported on the ferry, but they have to be left on the car deck. If the ticket agent tries to charge your bike the same fee as cars have to pay, just call the main office in Craig and ask for help. They're nice folks who might have to remind the ticket people that bikes travel for a small fee because they can be stashed off to the side and out of the way. I had to do this for my trip, but once we worked out the fee, everything worked smoothly.

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikebeer
    Sorry if I steal this thread, but I found it while trying to find some info on Prince of Wales island. I will be living there this summer, and am desperate to find some info on trails and riding spots. I don't have a problem with riding logging roads, but some real trails or something with a view would be pretty cool. I will likely be staying in Craig or Klawock, possibly Coffman Cove. Thanks, Mike
    Jt's should still be in Craig. Lots of logging roads on the island not sure about singletrack the Honker Divide would be a pretty sweet ride.

Don't forget the amazing cave system. It hold the title for longest or something along those lines. Many entrances all around the island.
    Last edited by Valhalla; 04-24-2007 at 12:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, I am pretty sure that I've got to bring my bike, I don't think I could handle an entire summer without riding. Even though it's not the type of riding I'm used to, I still think I'll be able to enjoy it.