mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Locatin of Photo?

Anyone know where the picture appearing in the header of the Arctic Bicycle Club - Touring Division website was taken? Photo can be seen at http://www.arcticbike.org/touring_division.html. It looks like the mining roads out at Kantishna to me. Along those lines (and while I'm posting questions), anyone know what the official NPS policy is on bikng the mining roads? I know bikes are restricted to "roads" in the park, but I have always wondered if the mining roads counted or not. Just curious. I spent a summer working for the park, most of it camped out in Kantishna. I had my bike and got some riding in on my free time. There is a lot of terrain out there to explore.

Ologist
    I would love to find out where that is too!!! Anyone...???

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My guess

My guess is the Petersville Hills. Adam??

Beware of Doggerel
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    My guess is the Petersville Hills. Adam??
    Hmm, that'd be my guess too based on how close to Denali they are, I don't know of any bike legal trails that go that close other than Petersville. (well actually I do but the touring division wouldn't ride them, and I ain't telling). I don't think its the main road though, maybe a spur trial to an overlook?

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

another guess

judging by the rider, I'd say the photo is fairly old, even pre digital, so there's the remote possibility that it's a doctored pic. That being the case, the road they're on could even be the old trail up Baldy right here in ANC, with the mtn Fotoshopped in. Not sure you can still ride that trail up above Goldenview, but Kathy has some old pics of that ride and it looks alot like this one.
    An easy way to find out is to ask....

Pat

Caveman
    Looks like North side of the range somewhere, That face of denali is the Wichersham wall which is the face you see from the Park road. If it were from Kantishna you would see more of the Muldrow & Harper glaciers and the North Summit. So my guess is somewhere along the park road before then.

I could be totally wrong though, its not a very clear shot of the mountain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i've spent 25+ years in the petersville area definitely not petersville road. could possibly be on the mining trail that goespast willow and poorman creek but judging from the location of the mountain would have to be way over past divide creek almost to the tokositna river and that would have required quite a bit of hike a bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just to weigh back in, the view of the mountain is pretty similar to views from photos I have taken from the Kantishna hills, in particular from the ridge south of Friday Creek. The terrain looks similar to the ridge tops in the Kantisha hills too, which is what spurned my guess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    after looking at the pic again i'm pretty sure it's not anywhere in petersville

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

I'll find out

I had another guess.. of it being back near 'Old Man Creek' ..
    But I will ask and find out for everyone.

Christopher

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

The *OFFICIAL* Answer is..

Quote Originally Posted by ftmsb
    Anyone know where the picture appearing in the header of the Arctic Bicycle Club - Touring Division website was taken? Photo can be seen at http://www.arcticbike.org/touring_division.html. It looks like the mining roads out at Kantishna to me. Along those lines (and while I'm posting questions), anyone know what the official NPS policy is on bikng the mining roads? I know bikes are restricted to "roads" in the park, but I have always wondered if the mining roads counted or not. Just curious. I spent a summer working for the park, most of it camped out in Kantishna. I had my bike and got some riding in on my free time. There is a lot of terrain out there to explore.
    From the person who took the photo (not me)...

"....looking at Jacques Boutet (Iditasport, AK Ultra Sport &
    Susitna 100 fame) in the foreground in a 2-tone blue jersey and Dan
    Bull (white t-shirt), founder of Iditasport, climbing the last big
    hill before dropping down into Moose Creek on our way back to
    Kantishna Lodge after a long ride in the Kantishna Hills overlooking
    Wonder Lake. Mount McKinnley is the large snow capped mountain in
    the background and dominates the skyline."

Christopher

Ologist
    I talked to DNP today and you can ride those mining trails out there (Slate/Eldorado and Red Top Mine, etc.). You need to take the Camper Bus which only takes 2 bikes at a time so reservations need to be made.

This has made the top of my bike trip list this summer!!

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails
    Yeah I have done the camper bus with a bike out there before. You don't make it out there until almost 5pm and then are stuck out there over night. So you also need to get a back country camping permit too. Sometimes you can get on the Camper Bus, but not a camping permit.

They also make those permits available 24 hours ahead which is how I usually get mine. Then bike out from where I get dropped off that night. There are also I believe only two camper buses a day, about 4 hours apart.

The photo mentioned in this thread is from the early 90s or there about and coincidently is I guess the from the same trip that the photo for the cover of "Mountain Bike Alaska" was taken on. They supposedly got 'talked to' by the rangers at the time too but didn't get in too much trouble because they had permission from someone with a mining claim back there.. (so they were also able to get around the camper bus).

Let me know when you go.. I might be interested in tagging along.

Christopher

Ologist
    Thinking the first weekend in August