mtbr member

Local trail names

Correct me if I'm outta place here and I'll delete this thread saving the topic for PM's and secret rendezvous' in dimly lit back alleys, but will those in the know please elaborate on local trail names, their location, and maybe a basic descriptor. If you have a map link that'd be cool. It took me most of last winter to figure out where the hell 'blue dot' was located and in the process learned about 'speedway' and 'ballfield boogie'. I see there's a reference to 'paper plate'. Where is it? Where's 'sippie-cup' at? Maybe everyone here already knows all this and I'm not in the circle of trust?

I'd like to ride more trails and learn more about our local trail network and be able to describe to more people on where they can ride their bikes.

Blue Dot - connects moose track (near smokejumper TH) to the tour trail, bridge 2/3rds through

Speedway - connects moose meadow (1/8mi from viewpoint jct) to the homestead (crest of long hill)

Ballfield Boogie - connects abbot loop (1/8mi from TH) to homestead (???)

Paper Plate - ???

Sippie-cup - ???

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think paper plate is also known as Polar Bear. Connects up to Black Bear.

Baseball Boogie is a loop I think, connects with micro dot which joins TOA trail/homestead

Some of the trails are marked out on Strava if that helps.

Sorry I'm not much help with the names of the trails.
    Would rather be out riding!

It's not just about a bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Probably one of the best ways to figure out the trail names is to either ride with some of the group rides and ask others which trail you are on as you go or to use something like Strava (phone app or GPS program on the computer). Once you do a ride and upload it, it will show a lot of "segments" that people have set, most of which are based off of the trail names (i.e. Bluedot - Southbound). You can also search for "segments" in an area and it will show the names.

While I know a number of the trails, there are still a number I don't know and a few that have multiple names depending on the group you are riding with. Like Blades said, I refer to "Paper Plate" (named after a simple paper plate that was marking the trail the first year) as "Polar Bear". Polar Bear just makes sense since it takes off from the junction of Black Bear and Brown Bear on the NE end and connects to the spur that heads dead south from the 90 degree elbow on Speedway to the top of the Tour trail on the SW end.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So I had a bit of spare time last night and put this together.
    It's not just about a bike: Bicentennial park social trails with references

These are the trails with names as I know them. I will try and keep adding to them.

If anyone has objections to this being up there I can take it down, just let me know.
    Nick

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Paper Plate is known as "Missing Link" among a sizeable group of riders.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroganof View Post
    Paper Plate is known as "Missing Link" among a sizeable group of riders.
    It's also known as "Polar Bear" by another group of riders. Makes sense to me since it connects to Black Bear and Brown Bear trails at the NE end.

Bikes are good
    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    It's also known as "Polar Bear" by another group of riders. Makes sense to me since it connects to Black Bear and Brown Bear trails at the NE end.
    And as far as I know can only be ridden in the winter. That trail just got cooler.

Is it rideable now? I haven't looked.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Polar Bear is a great name re Black & Brown - plus it captures the winter only image.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The Muni has GIS layers available online.

Does anyone know the reliability of the trails layer there? I do a fair amount of analysis in ArcGIS for work.

I whipped this up in literally two minutes using the MOA trails layer. It's ugly as sin, but if the underlying data is accurate I could spend some time making nice looking maps...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    And as far as I know can only be ridden in the winter. That trail just got cooler.

Is it rideable now? I haven't looked.
    We rode it last week before the big dump of snow, not sure if its been ridden/snow shooed in yet?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by blades2000 View Post
    We rode it last week before the big dump of snow, not sure if its been ridden/snow shooed in yet?
    We took the Jr. Nordic kids through there twice on Saturday morning to help pack down what was there then. I know at least a couple others have skied it on Sunday and cut out the trees/brush that was hanging into the trail. I know at least two others who were planning to bike (or at least push their bikes) through there later in the evening Sunday as well. It's been getting traffic, so hopefully will be rideable in a day or two if not already. Lots of foot/ski/snowshoe (and even a few bikes) on a number of the other trails in the area packing things down as of yesterday evening. Many trails should be good as of today and just getting better through the week. This cold snap will really help.

FYI - It is a whole new type of fun skijoring through the singletrack. Those tight corners are hard enough with long skis, but adding a dog pulling you at the same time.... Great way to pack in the trails though.

Bikes are good
    Thanks for dragging the kids through there. It's a cool trail. I remember getting to the end of it once on a night ride, and waiting for my 2 riding buddies. Through the dark and cold night, I could hear expletives echoing off the snow laden trees.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."