Thread: Lights?

mtbr member

Lights?

Got myself a fatbike for winter riding. I intend to ride mostly trails in Anchorage, with the occasional foray out to the Valley. I would like to get in weeknight rides after work, which means it will be dark. Which means I will need light(s). The choices are kind of bewildering. What kind of lights do you run, and why?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I run an older model princeton tec switchback rechargeable handlebar light. I also wear a rechargeable petzl headlamp. I like to have a low beam from the handlebars, lasts for many hours and the headlamp pointing where I'm looking. My night vision isn't very good so my setup could definitely be called overkill... many people can get away with a smaller light.

mtbr member
    check out the mtbr light shootout. lots' of useful information there. i use a helmet mount light because i like to see what im looking at. my light supposedly has 550 lumens which is plenty, maybe overkill. the light reflects off the snow, so it seams pretty bright. also try to get a light with plenty of battery life at max output, something with 3 or 4 hours of battery life is minimum in my opinion. hope this helps.
    litespeed's break

Bikes are good

geomangear.com

They have a 900 lumen (supposedly) light that I've used the last 3 years. On the low setting, it is plenty of light, and it has stayed lit for over 5 hours of riding. You can get it with a head strap (which I recommend as well) and it is a great light for the summer too. (when, and if you'd ever need one in AK). They had a big recall on batteries last year (mine wasn't affected), but they are all cleared up now. You can't beat the $100.00 price tag for such a strong light. A good light for winter night riding makes all the difference. I used a real piece of crap for a winter, and had a lot more fun with this light. Good luck.

Geomangear sells the magicshine lights I guess. I have the one from the geomangear site.
    Last edited by Elfbkr50; 10-16-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Different ordering web site
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Went with the Cygolite 740. A bit spendy, but absurdly bright and has a reasonable run time. If run time isn't enough, i can get a spare battery to carry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Maybe cheesy but my $25 handlebar light from REI lasted all winter commuting last year on one set of AAA's. Maybe get two of them if your on a budget and that'll make it bright.

Ologist
    I will advocate for the Geoman Magicshines too as long they stay free of problems. I have compared them to my L&M Arc HID and was pretty impressed. I don't think any comes close in value. Not as clean of a beam but amazingly bright. I also like the Stella 200 with the Li-Ion for handle bar or helmet.
    Last edited by Valhalla; 10-24-2011 at 12:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I recently purchased the Gemini Titan lights and have had great results so far. Good build quality and enough power that I only need the one light. Great customer service too. All for $100.00

TITAN LED Light System | Gemini Lights

Fatback
    There are many great lights available now-all of them LED. Lupine makes the best lights hands down. The new 750 lumen Piko is so good, it replaces the Tesla, which was the model above it last year. Not cheap, but it is the best. Light and Motion has some great stuff out too starting with the Seca, but they also have a new commuter light that is 500 lumen. It is self contained. Personally, I like being able to put the battery inside my pogies, or in a pack if mounted on your head. It keeps the battery warm, so it lasts much longer.
    Lezyne also has some new high powered commuter lights-the brightest at 450 lumen. One of the nice things about these is that the lithium ion battery is a standard replaceable size. If you are on a multi-day trip where you cannot recharge it, you can have spares.
    Last edited by thirstywork; 10-28-2011 at 10:57 AM.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

Light freak

I like to ride my bike in the dark...

A few years ago, I could not afford $1000 dollars for a kick ass light set up so I made my own. I am now trying to help out others with similar budget constraints and/or desires for LED technology.

These are some of the reasons some people purchase my lights -

1. - Size
    2. - Weight
    3. - Non proprietary batteries
    4. - Customer service
    5. - Made by someone who uses his lights on an almost daily basis and knows the importance of reliability and has the same passion for biking.

Standard unit is 159 grams for the light head and battery together. ~600 lumen output with a 3.5 hr run time. Have some newer flavors with more lumens, dimming and strobing options. PM me if you would like more info.

Here is a link to my blog - Amoeba - The simplest "light" form

Here is a link to my photo gallery on MTBR, lots of good photos - http://http://gallery.mtbr.com/showg.../ppuser/262291

Last edited by scar; 10-28-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    scar, what happened to your blog???

Light freak
    Too funny. Darn fat fingers! Fixed the link

Thanks for the heads up

J

No, that's not phonetic
    Light technology is moving so fast that I would have a hard time justifying buying a top dollar light these days since you could buy about 3 extremely bright mid-range lights for the same price. There are some super nice (full featured, 1,000+ lumen) lights on the market these days for $100-150. Even if they only last 3 years for some reason, I bet you will be able to replace it with a 2,000 lumen light the size of a moose nugget for $75 in 2015.

The Geoman Magicshine lights are bright, functional, and a mind-blowing value. I have been running the original Magicshine lights for a few years now and am very happy with them. I would not hesitate to buy them again if need arose.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Light freak

Felt a little bit like Alasksa in Denver this morning.....

5 am before work ride, 26 degrees. Pretty embarrassing video compared to tscheezy's amazing videos.

Agree, there are alot of cheap chinese lights out there boasting unbelievable outputs. Lots of options for many different tastes

Fatback
    I have seen scar's Amoeba light and it is indeed impressive. One of the unique features he's got is the ability to use AA batteries for the multi-day trips or races. I'd use one.
    There are alot of really nice high powered quality LED lights from reputable companies that are $200-$400. In that range everything is brighter than we need in the snow, but the great thing is that you can put them on a medium or low setting and get tons of run time. We don't need 1000 lumen lights, but put it on 200-300 or 400 (which is still more than we need) and you can get 9hrs or more out of them.
    Last edited by thirstywork; 10-28-2011 at 08:01 PM.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com