mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Knik Glacier Access

Anybody been out to the glacier yet from either side of the river? Just wondering how frozen things are...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I haven't been out that way, but I'm interested in this too. Thinking about checking it out from Hunter Creek. Not sure if it has been cold enough yet.

Anyone ridden the Knik lately?

just a guy
    A group of us tried to get out there on Sunday. Hunter Creek was still wide open. The Jim Creek side was fast along the flats. We didn't make it as far as Friday Creek. You'd need to cross Friday and Metal Creek to make it to the glacier from the north side of the river. I'd be surprised if both were both creeks were frozen.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by plainoldchris View Post
    A group of us tried to get out there on Sunday. Hunter Creek was still wide open. The Jim Creek side was fast along the flats. We didn't make it as far as Friday Creek. You'd need to cross Friday and Metal Creek to make it to the glacier from the north side of the river. I'd be surprised if both were both creeks were frozen.
    Thanks for the info. This recent warmup doesn't boost my confidence either. Think I'll wait a little later for more light and (hopefully) more freeze.

Caveman
    Tried on saturday from the north side. Forget it, need a week of cold temps. Some spots were fine but the norm was breaking through ice to 3" of water on top of more ice, then some times that layer would break and you would be knee deep. Good stuff!

is buachail foighneach me
    Not much better today, Sunday, than what Bearbait described above. The top layer is a little more solid, but not much. Temps were in the upper 20's under sunny skies when we arrived mid afternoon, lower 20's when we left this evening. We were on foot and nordic ice skates. Though mostly on foot... I'm guessing a couple of more days and the water in between the layers will be frozen. There were some very recent fat bike tire tracks on Swan Lake that had broken through the top layer, and the water that filled in those tracks had frozen enough to support ice skates.

Caveman
    that was us on swan lake, we went in hopes of riding out Jim Creek, but that the ice on the creek was bad. Beautiful spot, had never been there.

FatBike Fiend
    Are you guys aware there's a new trail (built last summer) with a new 55 foot span bridge over Jim Creek? Take the new 3.8 mile Rippy Trail reroute off the end of Maud Road Extension. It's built on high ground so plunging through thin ice is not necessary. The new trail ends just past the Jim Creek bridge, but there are old trails from there heading back down to the flats. 'Course that still leaves Friday Creek to get across on the way to the glacier, not sure what that's like right now.
    Last edited by Wildfire; 01-22-2015 at 06:08 PM.

I was not aware of that, thanks Mark! I'll have to check it out soon.

FatBike Fiend
    Name:  rippy trail_edited (1).jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  58.1 KB

Sean, in full disclosure, I have not yet actually done the short stretch through the woods from the end of the new Rippy Trail down to the lakes/marshes. But, I did see a couple trails heading down that way so hopefully that won't be too much of a 'schwack. You should come out on the lake (I think it's called Gull Lake) just north of Swan Lake and from there follow the shore up toward Friday Creek. I recall there are a few seeps/springs/small creeks in that stretch, but could be doable now that it's a bit colder.

We got a grand total of 1/4" of new snow last night here in the MadZoo, break out the snowshoes.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

sluice box
    bumping this
    went out yesterday 2/15 started on envy trail went up to Friday creek and had to take the roundabout atv trail up valley in the woods came back down on the knik river bed and started to the moraines. Wind was blowing hard and bagged the trip 1.5 miles from the face. Ice was firm in the morning and fast riding but with the warm temps and heavy truck traffic some of the creek crossing got broken up on the way out. Much of the afternoon and night riding was in 1 to 2 inches of water on top of river/creek ice. we had a few fat bikes and one trek 970 on studded 1.9 with snowcats. Studs are a must fat is nice on the river rock. That is all.
    ptarmigan hardcore

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Bumping this thread to request some current conditions info. Would love to make a trip to the glacier with some upcoming time off I have. The last time I rode in was March, '14. I went in from Hunter Creek. The creek, crossing the Knik River, and the glacier lake would all need to have enough ice to support a rider with gear. Anyone attempt this lately? Or flown over to check it out?
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Elitest thrill junkie
    I want to do this and have the studs this year.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I would think it's a little early for the river and creek to be frozen yet.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Hasn't been cold enough for long enough yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    From a couple of weeks ago, we made it out from the Jim Creek side
    It's not just about a bike: 1 glacier and a lot of moose
    Would rather be out riding!

It's not just about a bike

sluice box
    Trails are dry and water low on Envy Trail. I road from the bridge to the Mat-Su Borough parking lot then out past Jim Creek and turned around near Friday Creek.
    ptarmigan hardcore

For anyone wanting to do a ride out/packraft back trip on the shorter south/Hunter Creek side, I recommend going through Knik Glacier Tours. The Hunter Creek ROW is being used by someone as their own private shooting range and they like to let you know it, from a distance, with bullets. KGT has camping or day parking for $10 and a really good trail out to where you ferry across. Added bonus is probably parking on their out of sight private property.