Thread: Knik Glacier

mtbr member

Knik Glacier

A nice Saturday ride out to the glacier. The trail itself wasn't well worn with the new snow but even with the new layer the riding was pretty good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knik Glacier-img_0933.jpg  

Knik Glacier-img_2600.jpg  

Knik Glacier-img_0935.jpg  

Knik Glacier-64019_3106388295968_1152117701_32494173_1940266531_n.jpg  

Knik Glacier-429733_3106390816031_1152117701_32494174_1014746854_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    wow, nice work, that looks awesome!
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Knik glacier

Sunday was even nicer with the sun out. I don't know if the pictures will show up.

/Users/pamelatodd/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2012/glaciers/IMG_0510.JPG/Users/pamelatodd/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2012/glaciers/IMG_0507.JPG

mtbr member
    Just an FYI...apparently someone who is more familiar with the behavior of glaciers shared with one of the riders her concerns based on some of our photos. Some of the ice next to some of the protruding glacier features could be very thin and being covered with snow might not be noticeable. So anyone who does decide to go out there just be careful. Ignorance may not always be bliss...

This is what was sent:
    "One of my friends from work has snowmobiled on the glacier. She sent this picture and said the pictures we took in those holes in the ice are called worm holes. We were in potential danger and didnít know it. The two photos that she noted were especially alarming but she also thought they were really cool, were the one with you kneeling at the base of the ice berg that looked like a Killer whale. She said that was a worm hole and it could have had open places under the snow. The other one was sliding down the whole and landing. If you look there is a big break in the ice where he landed. Again She said this is a worm hole and could have had thin ice there at the base."

Bikes are good

That is exactly why...

I stay at home, safely rested upon my couch.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    What route did you guys take? Did you go out the lake trail at Eklutna? Pedal straight up the Knik River? How did you access the glacier?

is buachail foighneach me
    We were actually really careful to check the ice at the exact feature in question. There was a thin layer of ice over a much thicker layer, with an air gap in between. The breaking ice when I slid down was the thin top layer. I wouldn't have slid down that if I wasn't confident the ice at the bottom could hold me.

Good warning though. I wanted to take photos in front of some of the ice bergs, but really didn't feel comfortable getting close to them. I could see others not being that careful and regretting it.

ConfederateLawyer: Straight up the Knik River from Knik River Rd.

is buachail foighneach me
    Not sure if this will show up, facebook photo. This is the one of the photos in question:

Stolen from a dumb argentinian.

Ologist
    Great pics! I went out on Sunday and was really enjoying my ride until a Honda Accord went bombing by me at 60. For a moment I felt like I took the wrong mode of transportation.

I took the KPRA access off Sullivan road in the Butte. It is a literal highway (really fast) over there suitable for ANY mode of transportation, but I would recommend jumping on where Sean accessed it for more of a backcountry experience.

Jesus is coming Look busy
    May 2009

Safety first

Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    I stay at home, safely rested upon my couch.
    I hide under the work bench in the garage eating cheetos........

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Will you be doing anymore group rides out to Knik Glacier this year?
    If so, when? I have a couple people that might want to tag along.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Another option

Check out Tim Kelly's blog and recent ski: 2012 Tim Kelley Alaska Performance Backcountry Skiing Photos