Thread: Knik?

mtbr member

Knik?

What's the word on Knik? Ridable? Worth the work? Studded or no?

Thinking I want to give it a go on Friday, but...

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I went riding out there 2 weekends ago starting off Maud Road. Ran into open water at Friday Creek, but saw a Jeep on the other side, so there must have been someplace to cross that I missed. The riding was great then...a few slick places, but I did alright with Bud and Lou, no studs. Not sure what the recent weather has done, but if you go, let me know how it is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just did a 2 hour loop from Mud Lake out and around on the rivers and back by Jim Lake. Didn't quite make it to the Knik, but the rivers were frozen enough to ride. In some parts there was open flowing water in the center, but still thick ice on both banks. Not sure where we were, but we had miles of nice ice biking. Studded fat tires far preferable - my companion hit the deck a number of times. There was also intermittent snow and bare ground (tussocks) which would have been miserable on a non-fat studded bike.

mtbr member
    Made it out there this morning. Didn't have time to take it all the way to the glacier. Started at Hunter creek and got caught up and turned around before I made it to the main river. Ended up back at the road so headed back down to the pull out at mile 4 and headed up the main channel about five miles or so. The conditions were overall pretty good. Studs would have made for faster riding, but I think I could have made the whole thing even without if I had the time. I might try it again next week, but fear that if we keep having these warm days and cool nights with no fresh snow it'll get to where it wont be ridable without studs.

Alaska Turner Mafia

Glorious Day!

On a whim I decided to check it out today. I've never been up there and have been curious to check it out for years, so packed along some photo gear to plink around with once there, and took off. Phil, you may have seen my truck though if you were out there, Ford Ranger with license plate IBIKE2, parked just past the Hunter Creek bridge.

I left from my truck right at 8am, and since I really didn't know my way, I knew I'd have to do quite a bit of scouting. I went right down Hunter Creek, crossed a confluence, and then found a twin track that led me most of the way toward the glacier. Throw in one detour for a Knik River crossing to avoid open water, and it took me four hours before I arrived. I was shocked at the total lack of snow this year for March.

But what a glorious day it was! Not a cloud in the sky, moderate temps, no wind, and unbeatable scenery. I packed along my Khatoola microspikes, and that was the ticket for maneuvering about on the glacier lake. Hardly any snow made the footing treacherous, but the spikes ruled. And I wouldn't want to be riding out there without studded tires, glad I had 'em. Off I went to play around with the camera timer to capture some of the lake-locked iceberg features! I wished I had more time, there were just so many unique formations.

I eventually turned around at this formation as I realized I was using up clock and needed to head back.

I think Saturday is supposed to be an equally nice day, so if anyone out there is considering this trip, it's off the charts right now. Pack a camera and memorialize it, it's awesome!
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    As alway Endo, looking good. If I could just take off on Fridays I'd have been there too, cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Im in if this ride goes.

mtbr member
    So the Knik is frozen and crossable? I tried from Hunter creed a month ago and was unable to get across the Knik. Hopefully heading that way this Saturday. Thanx
    litespeed's break

Beware of Doggerel

The ride is great

Trail is good ride is good, here are some pics from sunday. It was a little warm and the lake was slick.

Knik?-1-15.jpgKnik?-1-2.jpgKnik?-1-4.jpgKnik?-1-3.jpgKnik?-1-1.jpgKnik?-1-10.jpg
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

mtbr member
    Adam, where did you start from? Any open water?
    litespeed's break

Alaska Turner Mafia

Open Water River Crossing

Ryan,

For the most part I found a four wheeler trail to follow once I left Hunter Creek. It led me to an area that forced a river crossing that happened to have lots of open water. Initially I thought it might turn me back, but I had gone that far so decided to do some scouting for a safe area that might support me. Since there's so little snow I happened upon a spot with really clear ice that let you gauge how deep some of the frozen bubbles in it were. Then I found a crack in the ice that spanned the entire river width, and I could see down into the crack and it was plenty thick. When I crossed I wanted to make sure to return to the same spot for my trip in reverse, so I stacked three rounded stones into a mini cairn to use as a landmark. Look for that on the far bank on your way there, hopefully it will still be thick enough at that spot.

Here's a little something I put together, maybe it'll tease some of you to do this.

https://vimeo.com/89868310

Rando

Beware of Doggerel
    I hit no open water, I saw open water but it was never directly on my route. I left from hunter creek and (more by luck than anything) just nailed the route. No open water, and super fast trail the whole way. Got out there in no time. From the hunter creek bridge I just stayed in the main channel of the creek and then when I got out of the trees onto the Knik river I stayed close to the right bank of the river, then connected up a couple 4 wheeler trails and next thing I knew I was at the glacier. The whole time both on the hunter creek section and the river section I kept toward the right hand bank, until just before the glacier where there is water on the right, at that point I got on a 4 wheeler trial that took me right up to the lake. It was only the second time I've made it out there, last year was my first time after years of trying. It is a crazy ride because in my mind it is either super easy, fast and good, or flat out impossible. Not much middle ground. But last Sunday it was perfect Things are melting fast though.
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

mtbr member
    I was with Adam on Sunday, and we put in at Hunters Creek, worked our way down to the main river bed, and then followed a four-wheeler track up the riverbed. There was some open water on the Knik, but we found a place to cross without a problem. Ice was completely solid. (But it has been pretty warm and sunny the last few days) We stayed closer to the right side of the riverbed until we crossed, and then veered a bit towards the middle.
    It was an absolutely spectacular ride, if you get the chance go for it!

Beware of Doggerel

Route

Yes Lagopus' description is clearer than mine because my "route finding skill" mainly consisted of shouting.... "hey Lagopus Lagopus which why do you think we should go". Oh and Lagopus?... Dang it, I really missed out on all the cool screen names, but I guess its nothing to grouse about.

Knik?-knik.jpg

mtbr member
    You have been a member since 2004 and you missed all the cool screen names?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Yes Lagopus' description is clearer than mine because my "route finding skill" mainly consisted of shouting.... "hey Lagopus Lagopus which why do you think we should go". Oh and Lagopus?... Dang it, I really missed out on all the cool screen names, but I guess its nothing to grouse about.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	knik.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	357.2 KB 
ID:	880184

beer is good
    Hey Rando and Adam, really cool pix and vid! thanks
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Thanks Steve, it really is a beautiful place. You'll have to give yourself a couple of extra days the next time you swing thru so we can catch up.
    Rando

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Rode to the glacier yesterday it is a great ride the trail is good. Thanks for all the good info everyone has posted. We rode all over on the ice but watch out for open water by the ice formations and there is a pressure ridge that runs across the lake it has a lot of open water along it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Also rode out yesterday (Sunday)...awesome day to be outside on a bike with a great destination. Fat bikes can take you anywhere you want to go.

FatBike Fiend
    Knik?-julia-kevin-knik-glacier-small.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by AKPeach View Post
    Also rode out yesterday (Sunday)...awesome day to be outside on a bike with a great destination. Fat bikes can take you anywhere you want to go.
    Must have run into you yesterday, couldn't believe the fat tired bike superhighway to the glacier. Beautiful day.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Group of five with two dogs and an 'original' fat tire bike...that would be us.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AKPeach View Post
    Group of five with two dogs and an 'original' fat tire bike...that would be us.
    You can see our pictures here: Knik Ride - Bike Me Anchorage! (Anchorage, AK) - Meetup

FatBike Fiend
    Nice talking to you up there. Man, that place is getting popular, tracks everywhere. I can see why, it's an Alaskan classic. It's really weird I keep running into Jon at that exact same spot.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire View Post
    Nice talking to you up there. Man, that place is getting popular, tracks everywhere. I can see why, it's an Alaskan classic. It's really weird I keep running into Jon at that exact same spot.
    He was our fearless leader as the rest of us hadn't ever been back there. A great trip...although he regretted removing the fat tires and going with the smaller studded tires.