Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: kincaid's great

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

kincaid's great

Middle earth is open coastal trail to Jodphur and primed, I'd suggest riding it downhill and returning back on the coastal trail. The uphills can still be a bit tricky even with how well the snow's packed.

Perhaps the secret's already out, but Kincaid is perfect now, get out before the weather turns!

mtbr member
    Good to hear. Had been avoiding it thinking that there hadn't been much traffic on that side of town. Had a group of friends ride it yesterday and confirmed the report. Said that both the south and north sides of the road were good. Thanks for keeping everyone informed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Rode out there today. Started at Jodphur, Kitchen Sink was great, headed to Middle Earth. It was very soft. Might be good with 100s and Bud n Lou but challenging with Escalators and 80s. We bailed at the stadium and came back on Mighty Bike / Bolling Alley, they were great as well.
    Latitude 61

Elitest thrill junkie
    What about now?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    What about now?
    The trails on the south side of the road had a lot of ice on them, especially under trees and on corners. The last ASS race was held on Saturday evening and managed to get by pretty well, but riders had to tiptoe through a few sections. There was a bunch of grave/sand spread in some of the bad areas along the race course, so that should still be helping. Studs would be recommended, but a good number of riders didn't have them and are still walking around okay today... No idea about the trails on the north side of the road or trails not used in the race. Sounded like the outer trails on the south side (more exposed trails) were melted down much more and could be a mix of dirt/mud/ice.

Jesus is coming Look busy
    May 2009
    Kincaid conditions? Anyone ride out that way yest?
    I'm deteriorating faster than I can lower my standards

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Rode Kincaid last night. TP to Change of Pace to Middle Earth. Back on Mighty Bike to C$ to Kitchen Sink. Kincaid is the best it has been all year. Lots of people laid down fat tire tracks the last two days. I even saw CX bike tracks on mighty bike and C$. Suppose to stay cold all week so go out and get it before it gets Icy again. 99% of the Icy spots under the spruce trees are covered no need for studs.

Jesus is coming Look busy
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kincaider View Post
    Rode Kincaid last night. TP to Change of Pace to Middle Earth. Back on Mighty Bike to C$ to Kitchen Sink. Kincaid is the best it has been all year. Lots of people laid down fat tire tracks the last two days. I even saw CX bike tracks on mighty bike and C$. Suppose to stay cold all week so go out and get it before it gets Icy again. 99% of the Icy spots under the spruce trees are covered no need for studs.
    Thanks!
    I have been out of town for a couple weeks. Came back to 2ft in my driveway on the hillside Sat morning. I have been skiing. Have another day off. I thought I would head to that side of town to ride.
    Cheers.
    I'm deteriorating faster than I can lower my standards

Elitest thrill junkie
    Not so sure about the "supposed to stay cold all week" part.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Not so sure about the "supposed to stay cold all week" part.
    "Cold" is a relative term this time of year. Anything at or near freezing or colder is considered "cold". As long as it isn't hanging out above freezing for very long during the day, things should stay pretty good. It will change quickly and once it starts staying above freezing all day or even through the night, things will melt fairly quickly with the extra hours of daylight hitting it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have loosened my standards when it comes to the term cold. After this winter I consider it anything under 40 F and not raining.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kincaider View Post
    I have loosened my standards when it comes to the term cold. After this winter I consider it anything under 40 F and not raining.
    Would agree. And I'm tired of my east coast friends and family complaining about all the snow and cold!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    When is kincaid going to be ready to ride?

is buachail foighneach me
    The moisture content and compaction sensors built into all the new singletrack are malfunctioning right now, so best to probably wait till the official opening date of June 1st unless otherwise notified by the powers that be.

Bikes are good
    And here I was thinking Obama wasn't taking care of our trail system.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    The moisture content and compaction sensors built into all the new singletrack are malfunctioning right now, so best to probably wait till the official opening date of June 1st unless otherwise notified by the powers that be.
    There is no such thing any more as on "official opening date of June 1st". That used to be the case, but because of the high variability of when trails were actually ready to ride, they got rid of it. Now it is more of a "use your best judgment" situation. If it is soft and/or muddy, go somewhere else. Some trails, such as out along the bluff at Kincaid, sound good already while others in more protected areas may take another couple weeks to be okay for riding. If people are out either on bike or foot, help others by posting the conditions of the trails, either good or bad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I like the use your best judgment and not damage the trails, the date thing never really worked. We all like to get on the trails asap but some damage is bound to happen. So remember when the trail groups that has done a ton of work to make the trails ask for so help letís all get out there and do our part.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Found all of the barriers on the new trails had been pulled way last night. Put them back with a few more branches to convince people to not ride them yet.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Barrier Removed Nightly

Found all of the barriers on the new trails had been pulled way last night. Put them back with a few more branches to convince people to not ride them yet.
    Seems like the same crew has been poaching the new one ways a few nights a week. Unfortunate they can't wait a few weeks for the new trails to firm up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ANC-Rider View Post
    Seems like the same crew has been poaching the new one ways a few nights a week. Unfortunate they can't wait a few weeks for the new trails to firm up.
    Just so folks know, it's not a firmness thing...the trails are not finalized and are still under construction. There's still tweaks being done to create the best possible flow on the one way trails. If poaching continues, riders are going to run in to an excavator.

I'm sure STA appreciates you all being patient,

Elitest thrill junkie
    Was great today too! Kind of the day I was hoping for earlier in the week when it was raining and the trails were mucky. Light drizzle and relatively dry/not muddy trails! Going to have to do some more riding this afternoon cuz it's so nice!

Anchorage, AK

kincaid's great

Gonna head out there in an hour if ya wanna meet up Jayem!
    two wheel livin'..

Anchorage, AK

kincaid's great

Gotta run by the Pioneer Bar and have a quick beer with a buddy for his bday, but I'm loading the bikes on to the car right now. Between 4:30 and 5 will work. I can hit you up when we leave the pioneer unless you wanna meet there. Can ride hillside later as I live close by the trailhead.
    two wheel livin'..

Elitest thrill junkie
    Was thinking of hillside, but I can do Raspberry again, 415?

Elitest thrill junkie
    K, 430-5ish. Raspberry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast