Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Kincaid Trail Conditions

Went for a little walk yesterday. Its still muddy!

Attachment 803798

Attachment 803799

Attachment 803800

Attachment 803801

Attachment 803802

Bolling Alley needs some love!

Trail maintenance day is coming up soon!
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Anchorage mountain biking trails: http://2tiredtracks.com

mtbr member
    Dang! I'm heading up to Anchorage next week and was hoping to do a little riding. I guess the paved bikeway will have to do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sivilized View Post
    Dang! I'm heading up to Anchorage next week and was hoping to do a little riding. I guess the paved bikeway will have to do.
    The bluff area trails are dry. I would argue common sense should prevail. Go ride, if you see mud or moose dont ride it. If you have to walk around more than a couple times, jump onto the ski trails or the road, then tell all your friends what you found.

If you make a mistake and ride a soft trail, make sure to be at the trail work day.

Trails are drying quickly, won't be long now...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I rode the last two nights to see how things where looking. As mentioned above the Bluff is awesome Motor cross to the beach. STA’s Tower of Power is terrible mud bog after mud bog. Bolling alley is good except for the section from the 3way intersection toward the VW bug junk car section lots of mud. Toiled bowl was great, Mighty bike is great, sugar Lumps is really good. You are good as long as you stay away from Tower of power and the one small section of Bolling alley, & L-trail because of Moose.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by sivilized View Post
    It's drying out pretty fast ('cept there's some wet weather predicted for the weekend!). Hillside is drying out fast, I was just up there. A few bogs and trails that aren't worth it, but many that are dry and tons of fun.

I'm still looking for more suggestions too. Thinking of Eklutna over the weekend and the Kincaid stuff is dry. If anyone has any better ideas, please...
    Last edited by Jayem; 05-30-2013 at 11:35 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Great riding today! Not much wet where I was (Mighty Bike, CS Ex, Lee's Train, Sand Box, QFB), except for the lows in QFB. Get out there and enjoy the weather while it lasts!

mtbr member
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    May 2006
    This is seriously out of control! I think it's time we discuss any options we may have to make recreating in our parks more safe. Two moose related incidents in a week resulting in injuries, and those park user's were not riding bicycles. I'd bet the unreported rate of incidents with moose are much higher. This is no longer a mt. biker only problem. It's a significant public safety concern. How may people need to get injured before the municipality and the state consider the safety of the people? What good are designated park lands if we can't use them?
    c

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am just waiting for the new Alaska Dispatch Rick Sinnott article “Kincaid STA’s & MT bikers drive moose to stomp runners on the Mize ski trails”. Rick and his clan like to bring it all back to the STA trails and the bikers but the truth of the matter is there is a high chance of a wildlife encounter weather your running/biking /hiking /roller skiing/Frisbee golfing ect. It is almost impossible to get a parking spot at the chalet or lower lot these days. I bet you see the stadium used as over flow parking soon. There are way more people using Kincaid these days. Kincaid is a Municipal Park not a wildlife preserve. I can swallow the argument for hillside Salmon stream/State Park. The “It is not a problem till it a problem” Game management plan at Kincaid is getting people hurt. I like seeing wildlife in the park, there needs to be a balance though. God forbid we have a Trent/Waldron Turnagain Arm Trail disaster at Kincaid or Hillside for that matter. Seems to me it would be better to be proactive than reactive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    maybe the city could get the guy from Eagle River who solved Denali's problem with an aggressive moose in to help out.

mtbr member
    I have ridden with my bow on my pack for elk season and will be happy to do the same at Kincaid. ADF&G, just give me the word.
    "Speed focuses the mind. It cuts through the fog of drab everyday living and keeps us on our toes."

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Maybe there are more moose/people encounters because there are more and more people using these trails. You have to expect wildlife encounters when you venture out, it does not matter what mode of outdoor enjoyment you choose. I don't think killing off all the moose in Kincaid park is the answer. Maybe educating people is.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    What about fencing sections of the park off? The airport did it. I realize getting the moose out of a proposed fenced area would be a huge undertaking, however every recreational user group would benefit. Moose attacks don't just happen to mt. bikers. Skiers get it too. In fact, a skier was stomped this year. This incident occurred out of calving season and not on a singletrack trail! Now we have families pushing strollers out to the soccer fields, orienteering groups, tuesday night race series (both running and riding), children day camps, frisbee golf, hikers and dog walkers. And that is just in the summer! Is this not a park for people to use? If the only plan is to educate people about how to best keep themselves safe from the moose in this park, then that's simple. I'll save the state and municipality some public campaign dollars and say it here. LEAVE THE MOOSE ALONE AND STAY OUT OF KINCAID PARK. IT'S TOO DANGEROUS! How does that read? Seems to be the current approach to managing wildlife, I mean managing people, in a city park designated for recreational use.
    I realize the thought of fencing the park sounds expensive. I believe if we could get ALL the park user's to pull their resources, this could be quite obtainable. Think about it.
    My opinions are exactly that, mine. They do not express the opinions, or beliefs of any group or organization. Just to be clear.
    ride safe,
    c

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    that's a novel idea.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by akclimber49 View Post
    Maybe there are more moose/people encounters because there are more and more people using these trails. You have to expect wildlife encounters when you venture out, it does not matter what mode of outdoor enjoyment you choose. I don't think killing off all the moose in Kincaid park is the answer. Maybe educating people is.
    I don't think there are too many people thinking that all moose need to be removed, but there are a lot who feel that reducing the numbers/density to a reasonable level should be done. Same idea with the bears in/around Anchorage. No way or really no desire to get rid of all the wildlife, after all, that is a big part of living up here. I go out wanting to see moose and the occasional bear, but I would prefer that to be a unique encounter rather than an expected, every trip out type thing. Fairbanks does a lot of active management of moose populations in town (archery hunting seasons) with the specified reason to reduce the number of vehicle/moose accidents. No reason we couldn't do something like that down here with the right controls.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The moose population in Anchorage is out of hand. There is no management plan or if there is someone needs to be fired. I rode around Anchorage on the trail system through Kincaid last night. I Counted about 10 moose One cow with a calf at the corner of Jewel Lake and Diamond on the path that was very pissed off and had a lot of potential to hurt someone if they did not see her and got to close.
    Educating people has little to do with game management. Limiting access to our Parks is not game management. Keeping a balance for the area is game management, we just need someone to do their job.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I saw people hiking right by a calf near flattop before winter, this where the undergrowth was thick and a mom could have been just a few feet away. Still, they were waking by as if it was a dog...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Why don't you guys just start packing heat? If you feel threatened, blast away. That will learn them!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by _pseudonym View Post
    Why don't you guys just start packing heat? If you feel threatened, blast away. That will learn them!
    It's not necessarily an issue of feeling threatened, although the high population density does pose a significant safety concern as can be easily seen by the multiple encounters resulting in serious injuries so far this year. it is more and issue of trails being continuously closed because of potential dangerous situations (new calves, bear kills, etc...). In the past, when the populations of both bears and moose were far lower, the instances of things like this were few and far between. Maybe one every couple of years. Now, it is every few days it seems like that another trail is temporarily closed for one reason or another. Those are just the ones they know of AFTER someone has already gotten stomped on or just about ran into a moose or bear and was lucky enough to avoid physical contact. It's nice to see a moose or even a bear on occasion, but these days, it is rare for me to NOT get turned around at least once ore twice in a ride by them. They aren't necessarily encounters where I feel threatened in any way, just ones where they are preventing me from continuing on. Slightly different timing on many of those could easily turn painful or deadly.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by _pseudonym View Post
    I think this brings up a valid concern. Many folks feel packing heat and blasting away IS the solution. Me......I'm on the fence so to speak. Citizens taking firearms into Kincaid park with the intention of using them if they feel threatened could be an extremely dangerous situation. Why? Well, just as anchskier has said, I feel threatened by moose almost every time I recreate in Kincaid also. I could reasonably articulate why and how, given the circumstance, I was in imminent fear of death or seriously physical injury, and had no choice but to use lethal force. Hell, I could apply all those elements into almost every outing into the park. So what we've got here is the potential for a whole lot of shooting going on. Discharging a firearm at a moving animal while under critical stress is nothing like shooting at a stationary target. YOU WILL MISS YOUR INTENDED TARGET! At least a few rounds will go beyond your intended beast, thus placing other park user's at risk of being shot. Fish and game enforcement officials have received specialized training in the use of firearms, and specifically how to use them against animals. This is why we, as citizens with a serious public safety concern, need the municipality and ADF&G to get off their asses, and do something. Or......We could fence the whole park. Problem solved!
    c

Elitest thrill junkie
    Big Moose and baby on L Train today. Came around a corner near the top and they were there, mom closest to me. Luckily my rigid bike and bell sound like a freight train and I was able to stop well before, they spooked an ran down the trail, I turned around and headed back to the top.

I can't say it seems like there's more than one mom and calf, I've ridden all over there over the last few weeks and seen them twice in different locations, but if they were really as numerous as this thread is making out I'd be seeing ones on opposite sides of the park on the same ride.

mtbr member
    There is a moose with a calf on L Train. One with a calf on the Mize Loop that has injured two people this season already. There is also one with two calves on Tower Power. There was one that apparently died while giving birth on the Bolling Alley. This is the one that fish and game removed after 4 bears were seen feeding on it's carcass! These are just the ones I know about. So are there more moose in Kincaid? I don't know, but if you talk to an old timer they say that there never used to be this many moose and bears in Anchorage. Fish and Game is doing nothing but posting signs, even with the moose that have been repeat offenders and injured multiple people. Where do you draw the line? If it was a bear that was hurting people, you could be dam sure that the problem would be taken care of. Kincaid is a city park, not a wildlife refuge, not the state park. There are seven soccer fields that draw hundreds of people during tournaments. Nordic skiing, might bikes, frisbee golf, archery, tuesday night races(running and biking), orienteering, even dog training. All these activities draw thousands of people to this park. Do a google search of moose injuries and you will get at least dozen results for injuries and deaths from moose attacks.
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have been mt. biking, running and skiing in Kincaid park for 18 years. From my perspective, the moose population has grown exponentially. It used to be that seeing a moose was not a surprise during an outing there. Now, it's a surprise if I at least don't get turned around by one. I used to ride there at least twice per week. I haven't ridden in Kincaid since February. And wouldn't you know it..... a pissed off moose charged us as we were stopped more than a hundred feet away. My wife and I had planned on racing in the 24 hours of Kincaid. However, given all the recent moose problems, and managements lack of concern for the public's safety, we'll be going to Whitehorse, YT to race the 24 hours of light instead. Pretty sad when you feel driving 28 hours round trip to race, is safer than racing in your own back yard.
    c

mtbr member
    I rode Kincaid today didn't see any moose or bear, the trail was great.
    GOPR0286
    GOPR0056
    GOPR0044

The mosquitoes weren't that bad either.
    "but you are a jerk, google it!" anonymous negative feedback 09-18-2012 09:07 AM Keep is positive folks!

Elitest thrill junkie
    LIES!

Well, the mosquitoes seemed to like my car more than anything else actually, so maybe not. Good to see another fatbike out there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast