mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Kincaid Raspberry Lot

Well with the increase in use the smash and grab crowd had been hitting the Raspberry Parking lot hard. Lots of piles of glass in the parking lot. 4 cars last Wednesday night at 5 pm ish and at least 2 to 3 cars Sunday at 1 pm ish with the lot over flowing. Report any break-ins to APD and Brad Cooke at the Chalet. These guys are getting pretty ballsy with lots of people around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    During the Sunday (10/20/13) break ins, I lost a backpack with a lot of gear in it, and my girlfriend lost her wallet and cell phone. Both break ins have been reported to the APD. We were actually parked on the road to the Little Campbell Lake near the Raspberry intersection.

On the crosscountryalaska trails site, another victim who had a bag stolen said that it was recovered by someone else in the woods. I know the thief (or thieves) must have taken off down Jewel Lake (stopping at a gas station) and ended up at the Old Seward Walmart because of charges made or attempted on my girlfriend's cards. I bet Walmart has security camera coverage of the thief if/when the APD looks into it. I looked in a few dumpsters along that route on Monday hoping to find my backpack to no avail.

With the new info (to me) of recovered unwanted stolen gear, I'll search the eastern portion of Kincaid (or the area to the east of Kincaid) soon where hopefully I can find some of my stuff. If anyone finds a gray Mountainsmith daypack with yellow straps in the area or other dumped gear, call me at 440-0254 and I can identify it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Ok, it's worth saying again, don't leave ANYTHING in your car that you would want to keep, never ever leave a wallet, keys, cell phone. The amount of damage a thief can do with these things is almost unimaginable. It may have worked nearly every time, but that one time, it's not worth it.

Is it generally accepted that parking near the chalet is "safer"/less break ins?

Sometimes I'll leave some raggedy old underwear on my car seats, to dissuade anyone from breaking in.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Unfortunately, sometimes you need that stuff in the car... for example, headlamps in case you will be out late, extra clothing, etc., and don't want to waste an extra 40 minutes time and gas for extra trips home to drop off or pick up stuff.

I keep my wallet with me, and make sure I buy clothing like running shorts that can hold a wallet. My girlfriend got her wallet stolen out of her car in Oregon about 7-8 years ago, and I frequently tell her not leave her wallet in the car. Even after getting it stolen again on Sunday, she's insisting that she'll find a better hiding place in her car for the future...

mtbr member

Kincaid Raspberry Lot

Might be time to hide your good stuff in the woods next to the car. Camo gunny sack. Or get real sneaky and set up a game camera next to the car, snap some pics of the perp, and then pay them a visit with about $10 worth of quarters in a tube sock. I like to hunt almost as much as I like to ride. Man it would be fun to swap my broad heads with some blunt tips and set the compound bow to regulate mode. 70lbs of leave people's stuff alone sent at 300fps can be a real motivator.
    "Speed focuses the mind. It cuts through the fog of drab everyday living and keeps us on our toes."

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by xcandrew View Post
    Unfortunately, sometimes you need that stuff in the car... for example, headlamps in case you will be out late, extra clothing, etc., and don't want to waste an extra 40 minutes time and gas for extra trips home to drop off or pick up stuff.
    Um, it's not worth getting ripped off, not now, not later. That's what they make packs for. I'm not concerned about someone ripping off my work clothing, if that's what you mean, but extra clothing that you might need on the trail should be taken with you. if it's something like headlamps, again, take it with you if you value it. If you don't care, then yes, leave it in the car.

The logic here baffles me. Those things I just mentioned are easily replaceable and not in the same category as a wallet or phone. Why would anyone ever leave those in the car? I was at REI a few months back in spring and someone did a smash-n-grab in the jeep right next to my car. Happened about 2 min before I walked out to my car. GF left her purse on the seat and just walked in for a few minutes. WHY? These are the easiest preventable thefts I can imagine. Might as well be hiding wads of cash in the car for people to take when they break in.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Um, it's not worth getting ripped off, not now, not later. That's what they make packs for.
    I was running, not biking last Sunday. I'm not going to carry my rain gear, extra clothes, headlamp, etc. in a backpack running on a sunny day - that would have turned it into a hike. Leaving it spread out in the car would have been better.

I value my time and gas money. An extra round trip to drop off stuff at home could be working an extra half hour or more - maybe $10 to $15, plus an extra gallon of gas $3.70. Do this a couple of times a week, and it quickly adds up to more than my loss in less than a year.

My mistakes last Sunday based on practices I've been willing to use in the past and willing to use in the future to minimize loss:

I didn't bring or wear some of the stuff I often bring with me on a run (heart rate monitor strap, camera on a waist pack, sunglasses).

Should have left the binoculars at home except for trips where I might need it.

Should have left the gift card and gift certificate in the car with the shopping membership cards, or at home, not the in the pack.

Should have spread out the clothing in the car instead of having most things in the pack. They wouldn't have been very interested in my rain gear, tights, hats, gloves, etc even if I had laid them out on the bike path.

Should have left the headlamps under the spread out clothing. I wasn't going to bring them on a sunny day in mid-afternoon, and if they still dug under piles of clothing and wanted to took the nicer one, that would have been a $140 loss on its own rather than the whole pack of stuff.

I did leave the car unlocked, which I don't regret. My car isn't worth that much, and it would have been not only costly to replace, but the amount would have been a large percentage of what the car is worth.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    FEI (For Everyone's Information)I was out riding on Friday (10/25) morning about 8:30am, when I returned to the carpark (09:30) another car had been broken into, this car was not there when I left. It would seem whomever is breaking in to cars are still at it, hopefully they will be caught soon and have the appropriate punishment (Chopping off hands is my vote). Not sure if it is relevant but the car that was broken into was at the west end of the car park.
    Nick
    Last edited by blades2000; 10-26-2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: adding date
    Would rather be out riding!

It's not just about a bike