Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Kincaid one-way concensus?

Working? Not working? Anyone counted bones broken in collisions? More signs needed? Fewer signs? Love those trails. Sometimes fear those trails.

Cycling for Life
    I think its working well. I have to admit I haven't been able to spend as much time out there as I would like to this summer but when I have the only 'close calls' were on the bi-directional trails. My main issue is riding some of these other trails out there and reaching the loop only to stand there scratching my head trying to remember what the date is…

Bikes are good

It's good

I have still had close calls with people who might not know what the difference between even and odd is. Maybe if I ran into someone with my 220lb body, they would pay closer attention next time.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

is buachail foighneach me
    I still think the even/odd days thing is overcomplicated. One way all the time or two ways all the time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think it's awesome and works well for the area! Not sure way some find odd/even so difficult...
    Definitely not a fan of two-way all the time as it takes away from the quality of what is there. This simple solution is great for all that use the trails...with the exception to the dipshit runner going the opposite direction with their headphones on.

Bikes are good

cautiously crushing it

I like the notion of not having to worry about oncoming traffic on that trail because there are some very fast fun sections that are a riot to ride. Still, around very fast corners I'm hollering and leaning my head out to make sure there isn't something there. I'm a fan of the odd/even, but people need to pay attention to the very few rules there are out there.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

Diaskeuast
    I think it has been taken too far. It makes sense on Toilet Bowl and L Train, but on most other trails it is needlessly restrictive of our options. Bolling Alley is a great example of a trail that should be two-way at all times, in my opinion.

The bottom line is that all riders should still be watching for oncoming traffic, even on one-way trails. Some people either miss the signs or ignore the rules. And then there's the situation I had last week: Given the options of fighting a bull moose or turning around and riding the "wrong" way, I made the choice I will always make -- reverse course.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Elf biker 220? How do I weigh more than you dude? Don't answer, its because I'm fat.

I think the traffic pattern is working. I've had no problems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Karma View Post
    I think it has been taken too far. It makes sense on Toilet Bowl and L Train, but on most other trails it is needlessly restrictive of our options. Bolling Alley is a great example of a trail that should be two-way at all times, in my opinion.
    I sort of agree with you. I think there is more line-of-site on Bolling Alley than there is on Tower of Power or on Mighty Bikes. There are downhill sections of Mighty Bikes heading toward the Chalet where I always am thinking I'll head on someone. The trails seems narrow and overgrown through there. Tower of Power to the Johdpur connector is bad in some spots , too. Even so, every time I ride Bolling Alley I pass some noob going in the wrong direction.

Jesus is coming Look busy
    May 2009

Whoa!

Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    I have still had close calls with people who might not know what the difference between even and odd is. Maybe if I ran into someone with my 220lb body, they would pay closer attention next time.
    I thought the last time I saw you. You were looking a little soft...

Leave it even and odd. That should be good enough for us dislexic folks......

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I collided with someone riding up L Train. He was going the wrong way and knew it. People are inconsiderate and don't give a damn about how their actions affect others. This incident has left me with an undetermined amount of medical bills from the ER trip and several hundred $ in bike repairs after I replace my fork.
    So my opinion is..... Kincaid singletrack is awesome! Unfortunately I also believe the system is dangerous. There will continue to be injuries until our riding community decides to think as a whole. Far to many people believe they have the right to ride anywhere, and any direction they choose without regard for others.
    ride safe,
    c

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    I hope you feel better C!!! I ride the trails so late I never see anything but wildlife.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    I hope you feel better C!!! I ride the trails so late I never see anything but wildlife.
    Thanks Jordy!
    I should mention, and give a special thanks to those that helped me get out and checked on me post-incident. Super Al, Ryan, Petra, Janice, Mark, Darcy, Kevin and George. You guys are all awesome and make getting banged up worth it! Coincidentally, all folks also responsible for creating and maintaining those trails. Also, a big thanks to Speedway cycles for confirming my new carbon frame wasn't broken and getting my bike back-in-action in under four hours.
    with much respect and gratitude,
    c

Cycling for Life
    Quote Originally Posted by ANYRIDE View Post
    ... People are inconsiderate and don't give a damn about how their actions affect others. - - There will continue to be injuries until our riding community decides to think as a whole. Far to many people believe they have the right to ride anywhere, and any direction they choose without regard for others.
    ride safe,
    c
    Glad to hear your on the mend-
    L-train is one section that really could use a 'your riding the wrong way!' sign.

The freedom and adventurous nature created by riding a bike unfortunately also brings out the carefree and carelessness in a lot of people everywhere, not just on the MTB trails. Trouble is most of the individuals who are at the root of the problem are the hardest to reach, they don't listen to PSA announcements, read the paper or it seems even read signs. This thread may not be the appropriate place for this but if anyone has some genuine, constructive suggestions on how to reach these riders; I would love to hear them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Working I ride it twice a week and haven't had any problems

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am pretty plugged in so maybe my opinion may be a little skewed. I think that some of the signs are pretty small. Perhaps they may be getting overlooked?

Sorry to hear about your incident ANY. Get well soon!

Ologist
    I think there needs to an established traffic pattern and here is my predictable two cents - make noise on the trail (beyond bells) to alert other recreationists, moose, and bears to your presence. This would help to alleviate identified wildlife and user conflicts making the trails safer.

Is anyone keeping any stats on accidents out there? How prevalent are collisions? I know the near misses are pretty common.

Wood chips are stupid
    I like it.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My $.02 - I really dislike directional trails unless a chairlift is involved. I've pretty much stopped riding out there; something about having a sign telling me which way I MUST ride is contrary to the spirit of riding on trails (with a few exceptions, of course), and to the spirit of living in Alaska where we don't have to have a lot of fussy rules (or at least, we didn't used to).

I don't support building more trails if they have to be directional. Everyone should ride in control and watch out for others to prevent collisions, just like you do at the ski hill and everywhere else in life.

I don't like that this decision was made without involving more people who use the trails. Using MTBR to gather opinions is not adequate, IMO. There are very few people who use this site regularly compared to the number of people who use the trails.

Lee and Ryan, thanks for your efforts and I enjoyed riding with you out there. I just don't agree with this decision and hope that directional trails don't become the norm around here.

-Jill

Ologist
    To have tight twisty single track in a city, I believe you need to consider factors such as high levels of traffic, the diversity of rider abilities, and riders' trail familiarity. I think STA did do this. Certain sections need to be directional though. Can you rely on every other rider being in control? The 2 more severe collisions I heard about this summer were a result of others being careless. Ski areas have the luxury of a natural directionality by default - everything is pretty much downhill. For the few directional trails that exist there are many more that are not directional.

As Alaska and south-central grow, and the trail system expands, there will be more riders and newer riders out there. In Anchorage riders are concentrated to a couple relatively small areas. I think this conservatively applied rule addresses a safety issue while providing a nice rider experience for all (albeit a compromise). I enjoy the trails more when I know I can focus on my technique and the flow of the trail and not on who may be coming at me from around that tight corner. This actually adds to my rider experience but probably not my open trail or exploratory experience. If I was looking for a more wild or free-spirited experience I would be looking outside Kincaid and probably outside the city. I wonder how the Muni or Parks would react to new trail construction proposals if these bikes-specific trails created safety hazards?

Questions: Are any of these trail rules set in stone and are there plans more directional trails? Who makes those decisions? I didn't think this thread was a formal survey but was it started by one of the trail managers?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm more of a libertarian mindset myself, but sometimes rules help out everybody by providing a safe experience. Common sense says that opposing traffic around fast blind corners will result in collisions. I think the directionality was necessary, but should be limited when possible. Ski trails in Anchorage have used this model for decades with success. I know these decisions weren't made lightly. Thanks to all the STA volunteers who made it possible. Let's keep building more!

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    .....I enjoy the trails more when I know I can focus on my technique and the flow of the trail and not on who may be coming at me from around that tight corner.....

The directionality doesn't eliminate the need to pay attention to who(or what) might be around a corner. We're still going to have encounters with walkers, runners and slower moving cyclists. We still need to pay just as much attention to trail traffic as before. Chances are both you and an oncoming cyclist will not be moving at the same high rate of speed on a directional trail. More likely one will be moving quickly, the other slowly. It's not like high speed oncoming traffic has been eliminated.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Like many others I dont care for directional trails either unless it is obviously a gravity trail, take Toilet Bowl for example; however, give the construction of the STA trails and the number of users I find it to be a necessity to mitigate trail user collisions given the wide variety of users. I hope future trail design and construction will take into consideration if the trail would be directional or not. As others have also said, the folks that monitor this forum are a minority compared to the volume of trial users but, this forum represents a passionate group of riders who as a collective group can make these trails safer for all users. A couple items I can think of are;

1) Have better signage at main trail intersections with a trail map showing directional trails and a calender so even/odd days can be easily determined.

2) Clear out corners so lines of sight can be maintained on sharper corners.

3) Moose, we need to get rid of at least halfof out there for it to be safer for all park users...oh wait wrong thread for that discussion...

One question I have is will the trails still be directional in the winter?

bikewrider.blogspot.com
    Jun 2011
    I think the directional is good, but I apparently only make it out there on even days. I don't know how it happens, but I've only ever ridden Bolling Alley in one direction. Looks like fun the other way.

While directional doesn't completely eliminate the possibility of encountering somebody coming the other way I do think it decreases the likelihood of a head on collision.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

days of the week

I've only ridden the trails a few times, wow it's fun...

The even-odd days thing can be confusing for some. Maybe days of the week would work, like Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun one way and Tue, Thu, Sat the other way. Maybe too late for this because the signs are already made and up.

It is nice to know that things are one way and the chance of meeting someone head on is reduced.

How do the ski trails do it? Even and odd?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast