Thread: Just asking

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Just asking

So how many people here in anchorage would use a facility like Ray's indoor mountain bike park if we had one? Is that something that people would be interested in or are fatbikes enough to keep us all busy?

mtbr member
    is it free?
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

Elitest thrill junkie
    I like sports, mountain biking is my favorite, unless it's cold, then skiing and snowboarding are my favorites. With the network of XC trails, hilltop, outside opportunities for mountain biking, indoor climbing, hockey, and other stuff, I don't think I really would care all that much. I might go once or twice, but not enough that it would be economically feasible (for the park and myself) IMO. There's too much to do/going on otherwise.

The way I'd see it is: Another thing I have to pay for to be a member of? There are better ways to stay in shape in winter IMO, especially core-shape.

I think such a venture would need to lean heavily towards a skate-park/bmx-track type deal, usually better demographics there. I'm single, but a lot of families do not ride together, yet if it's something their kids can do it can be a fun thing to do, otherwise you're splitting up families and time too much if it's only mtb-skills IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    An indoor BMX track and skills park would be awesome. BMX is huge in the states and would probably do well here also. A winter race series could be good for our local bike shops. Between fat bikes and BMX, that should keep em busy all year. If we had a BMX scene here, there would be 4 more bikes hanging in my garage. I think that an indoor park would be well used during our shoulder seasons (spring & fall) too.
    c

mtbr member
    I'd use it. I think it would have to be large enough to hold people's interest, and varied enough to have something for everyone. You could hold clinics, have workshops, who knows, maybe have movie night's (bike related of course). The rock gym works, seem this one should too.
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Honestly, I don't know if Anchorage has the population capacity to keep something like that going. Given the cost of Real Estate in The Bowl proper, it would need to see serious use year round to justify the cost of just keeping the building open.

Now, if you could convince the Army to build a public use facility on base (or just off, like where the Target is), then I could see some possibility.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Exactly, rent and utilities on a piece of property that big would be pretty crazy, it's got to attract people in all seasons. Also, a lot of people, like me, might check it out once, but even though we say we'd be "for it", often times we won't be regular customers of any kind, or it will wane after an initial turnout after a few months. Those are the real questions and issues IMO.

The Ray's concept is very cool, make no mistake. Realize some of the places it's popular do not have as many outdoor "mountain" activities as us, without as much access close by.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I crunched the numbers and wrote a business plan for something similar a couple years ago. Too expensive was my conculsion...A warehouse large enough would run you $1M, on the low end...

is buachail foighneach me
    The only way something like that would be profitable in Anchorage itself would be to include a velodrome . I think track racing could be huge up here in the winter. bmx/skate park, mtb skills park and velodrome.

is buachail foighneach me
    To back up what others said about customer base for a skills park only, consider that Ray's draws regular customers from several nearby states.

Ologist
    I think this has been discussed a couple of years back in this forum and those posts may help you develop a perspective for a place like Ray's. It would be interesting to see if the sentiment has changed over the years with all the snow bike activity.

mtbr member
    I'm not a skate rat, so I haven't paid attention... but an indicator of how something like this might go over would be to evaluate how Anchorage's skate parks have done over the years.
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?