mtbr member

Juneau - Week of August 4-10

Greetings. My wife and I will be in Juneau for about eight hours one day during the week of August 4-10. Yeah, cruise ship in port, so tight schedule. Are there any possibilities for renting bikes and doing an off-road ride directly from town? Just looking to pedal on dirt for a couple hours or so. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Don't know if anyone's replied directly to you or not but here's a few options you might explore. First, Cycle Alaska is downtown (where cruise ships dock) and can rent bikes. Cycle Alaska I'm not affiliated with them but do purchase some stuff to support my local shop. They also offer tours but if you're looking for something more than a REAL easy group ride then you might be better renting a bike and taking off for your own ride. If you want to ride in the downtown area and are looking to get away from the crowds I'd try riding the Perserverance Trail. You can ask just about any local how to get to it, but the short answer is ride up the hills in downtown and keep going to the end of Basin Road...Then the trail begins. Another option would be to get a ride "out the road" to Herbert Glacier Trail. The trailhead is about 28 miles from downtown but takes you to a beautiful glacier along a pretty easy well maintained trail. Its one of my favorites but certainly qualifies as a simple ride....did I mention its very pretty. Both trails are somewhere between 7 and 9 miles, Perserverance being more difficult to ride while Herbert is more difficult to get to from downtown. I guess the final word of advice is to avoid the crowds. As with anyplace there are touristy areas that are beautiful but full of crowds then there are the other away from the crowds spots that are worth seeking out. IF you decide not to ride and are looking for something to do a personal recommendation would be to visit Taku Glacier lodge. Again not affiliated just find that area stunningly beautiful.....but you'll need to fly to it.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply! I ended up contacting Cycle Alaska about a week ago and reserving some rental bikes. Very helpful and friendly folks there. We're planning to ride the Perserverance Trail at the very least and doing our best to get away from the crowds. I printed out some directions on how to ride to the trailhead from the shop. Looks straightforward enough.

We've spent the last week in Vancouver and done some amazing riding on the North Shore, both on Mt. Fromme and Mt. Seymour. Now looking forward to getting a glimpse of Alaska.

Thanks again for all the great advice and suggestions!