mtbr member
    Feb 2011

johnson pass trail conditions?

has anyone ridden this yet?

Bikes are good

I heard

from the turnagain side in to the gorge is perfect. Beyond that, it's a recon mission. Not so high, so maybe it is good with a few exceptions.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

What Penguin???
    Rode Johnson from the north end today--trail was dry, no snow to cross and the cow parsnip was handlebar high. It'll be head high next weekend. The trail was under water, however, up at Bench Lake where we opted to turn around. Great riding to that point, though.
    Meanwhile, back at the hive....

Jesus is coming Look busy
    May 2009

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Bee View Post
    Rode Johnson from the north end today--trail was dry, no snow to cross and the cow parsnip was handlebar high. It'll be head high next weekend. The trail was under water, however, up at Bench Lake where we opted to turn around. Great riding to that point, though.
    Good to know.. The Giant Elfman and my self and others rode up Devils then down to Cooper landing on Sat.... Lots of mud, puddles and plenty of snow patches... I believe you on the Bench lake section under water. Sections around Juneau lake were under H20 as well.. I'll be re-building some hubs and service the bottom bracket this week.... The rain all last week didn't help. I doubt these trails will completely dry out this year......Thank Shiva and Ganesh that Anchorage has dry wonderful trails....

Jesus is coming Look busy
    May 2009

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Bee View Post
    Good to know.. The Giant Elfman and my self and others rode up Devils then down to Cooper landing on Sat.... Lots of mud, puddles and plenty of snow patches... I believe you on the Bench lake section under water. Sections around Juneau lake were under H20 as well.. I'll be re-building some hubs and service the bottom bracket this week.... The rain all last week didn't help. I doubt these trails will completely dry out this year......Thank Shiva and Ganesh that Anchorage has dry wonderful trails....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBlinky View Post
    Sections around Juneau lake were under H20 as well.. I'll be re-building some hubs and service the bottom bracket this week....
    I rode past Juneau lake on Saturday. Water wasn't THAT deep...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Johnson Pass south is being logged out this week, starting from Johnson Lake working south.

The flooded part of Juneau Creek was just deep enough this weekend to go over the gussets on the tongues of my boots, with no walk arounds. plenty of mud on res south and bean creek.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Rode north to south on Saturday. Trail is awesome! Some mud (as always) on the ascent. High water at the creek crossings, but all ridable. Cow parsnip is doing very well, thank you. The southbound descent is best I've ever seen. Only one tree across the trail (thank you USFS...worth all the taxes I pay!) it. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    one of my biggest regrets about moving from alaska is not knowing what was up there. all the more reason to move back.